HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
MargaretAlice

Serum HER-2 - Do You or Don't You?

New to the group. Background is Chemistry/Biochemistry. Looking for markers to follow. What has been your experience with Serum HER-2?

Thanks for sharing!!! Maggie
MargaretAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: Serum HER-2 - Do You or Don't You?

I will jump in here and be honest -- I have no idea what you are asking! I am getting my last Herceptin infusion Nov 17. No one has ever discussed "serum levels" with me about it.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
MargaretAlice

Thanks... Trying to learn. Have followed a Colon cancer blog at CSN... excellent discussion of what next and being a personal advocate... Joined here ... where are this site members now (2014) on serum monitoring???
Old 11-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Carol Ann

Are you a HER2+ breast cancer patient?

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
MargaretAlice

yes... wish not
Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Carol Ann

If you go up to the Search button, you can click and then type serum monitoring in ... it pulls up some threads. Hope this helps.

Carol Ann

Old 11-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Carol Ann

I'm so sorry to hear that, I know its the club no one wants to join ... you may also want to type in your treatment details so others with similar treatments, etc can chime in. Welcome! This is a super supportive group.

Carol Ann

Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Carol Ann

You mean for your signature details? You're free to type in whatever info you want to share.

CA

Old 11-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
'lizbeth

Serum Her2 did not catch on as testing. It is not included in Standard of Care NCCN guidelines.

Some of the ladies on the board used it in the past. They had more advanced cancers and the serum Her2 number was of value in their care. . .

I believe a retired doctor took over the company and tried to stir up interest on our board.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Lauriesh

I have had it run a few times over the last few years.
Mine jumped around from 7-11. I have been Ned for almost 4 years, so it is hard to say if it is accurate. I wish I would have asked to have it run when I was first diagnosed with liver mets to see if the number would have been out of the normal range.
I think it is only reccomended for use in stage 4, not in early stage.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
StephN

I was away from my computer or would have replied.

Laurie is correct. Her2 Elisa serum test has been for use in advanced stage monitoring. I have had this blood test as part of my monitoring toolbox for several years. I now have it run only 2 times per year, and my insurance still pays for it.

My numbers stay in the midrange and are steady. I have been off Herceptin now almost 6 years, which was never supposed to happen for someone in a stage IV remission. I only have a CT scan once a year and use the blood markers as a possible tipoff that something maybe activating during the rest of the year.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
MargaretAlice

Thanks for sharing. I am going to do a baseline. Good to know that it is utilized by some of you.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Kim in CA

I am no longer receiving this test, but sure wish I was.

When I switched health plans, my new oncologist at Kaiser said they don't use the Her2 Serum test. We are monitoring my disease using only the CA15-3, which is currently running at the high end of normal, to just above normal.

When we were using both the Her2 Serum and the CA15-3, the Her2 Serum was the first marker to rise when I had my recurrence in 2012, during my Herceptin vacation.

My tumor markers have always been a reliable indicator for me, and since I try to avoid scans as much as possible, they are my only warning system. That along with just trying to stay in tune with my body as much as possible.

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
MargaretAlice

Thanks Kim... very helpful to know that it has value..
Old 11-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
'lizbeth

Quote:
Her2 Serum levels: The extracellular domain of the HER2 protein can be cleaved from the surface by metalloproteases and detected in peripheral blood and measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. In GeparQuattro and GeparQuinto trials a positive association between higher sHer2 levels and a higher pCR was shown. [Witzel et al 2010, 2012]. A fall of serum Her2 levels of 20% during neoadjuvant therapy was a predictor of pCR only in the group treated with Lapitinab [Witzel et al 2012].
Just read this and thought it might lead you to more info on serum Her2.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote