HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
fullofbeans

a plant extract with tested potency

I had put it in another post but thought it deserved a full thread. Scutellaria barbata D. Don a simple plant extract is being tested in trial under the name of Bezielle, it sounds like a drug but I did read the methodology of the paper and it is simply a plant extract.

Really NOT BAD AT ALL for something that has no toxic effect check the result. Since May 11 I no longer can buy this extract in Europe, but China yet again will be the place to go.. shame as trust less the quality indeed

Results of the preliminary trial:

21 women with metastatic breast cancer enrolled.
On average, the group of women enrolled to the trial had been on 4 prior treatments for metastatic disease prior to starting Bezielle therapy.
16 women on the trial were evaluable for response:
4 women had stable disease >90 days
3 women had stable disease for >180 days
1 woman was 1 mm short of a partial remission

http://www.bzl101.com/

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 08-22-2011 at 11:59 AM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: a plant extract with tested potency

FOB
I had read this when posted earlier.One of the problems with the current EU regs is the need to source products from abroad. This carries the risks of not only poor quality but in some cases dangerous substances.

Maybe the sceptics are right that we are in the middle of a conspiracy by those whose interests are not in a cure but in large profits!!

Wishing you all the best.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
fullofbeans

You misunderstand me : I am not a conspiracy theorist.. please I find it slightly offending.

But I "follow the money" and profit margin: if we only cared about the quality (as per your comment) all that would be required from the supplement industry is to produce GMP products (which i agree with), why the initial registration cost not affordable by the small company? The supplement sale is worth billions, plants are medicine.

There are many philanthropist and good researchers that are looking to make our life better, I agree. But there are also a monopoly of hiddeously powerful few that have little interest to lose the sale of their current products and over regulation and high and slow develppement cost is a way to slow down progress, that is my view. FDA can take years to approve a research protocole (as experienced by some university researchers).. what small biotech can afford that cost? Putting barrier of entries of high cost is not making our life better. And yes sorry I believe we could have been driving cars that did not run on petrol a long time ago.. but no I do not hug trees..

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..

Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Last edited by fullofbeans; 08-22-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Ellie F

FOB
Please re-read what I posted.

You have clearly misunderstood.
I DID NOT suggest YOU were a conspiracy theorist rather that there is a body of people that believe that for SOME profits are the most important driver and lobbying of politicians by those with huge resources to tighten regulations often means that smaller companies are unable to complete against the big few.

I am dismayed that there are now major restrictions on supplements and companies have to jump through many hoops now. In this regard I am persuaded by the views of the nutritional researchers from Imperial College London university who believe that supplements are not only necessary but essential to stay healthy as our diets are NOW so lacking in micronutrients.My reference to 'dangerous' substances relates to contamination of some 'natural' products for example some TCM's with heavy metals.

I did NOT understand the reference to 'tree huggers' as I can find no reference to it in my post and would NOT use such offensive language.

Ellie
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
fullofbeans

Ellie,

We are in the same boat and team mates. I guess my current situation and constant battle to get treatments (and not simply just more chemo or nothing) is exhausting emotionally and financially is making me susceptible and quick to react to perceived criticism.

Lets hope that the Eu decision is reversed, all we need is the supplement market to be GMP approved which guarantee the purity/potency of the product one should have the freedom to buy what they wished to heal themselves. In 97 a company tried to patent tumeric.. it was not allowed due to a long history of use but future discovery (and current as the example above)that could be used there and then (and cheap and often better in natural form) may not be so lucky, it sadden me, conspiracy theory is often used to ridicule & dismiss the people that are standing up against this.

As an example the video below will let you know where I am coming from:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-w...g-to-monsanto/

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09

Last edited by fullofbeans; 08-24-2011 at 09:05 AM..
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Ellie F

Hi Full of Beans
Really sorry to read in your other post that you are having a tough time at present.I was also upset that you had again to go abroad for more treatment rather than being able to get it on the NHS here.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look.
Ellie
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
ElaineM

Wink Re: a plant extract with tested potency

Thanks Full of Beans. It is always good to learn about posibilities. Please feel free to share information whenever you come across something you think we might be interested in seeing.
Todays scientific experiments and clinical trials may be the standard of care in the future.
Several chemotherapies we are familiair with were developed from plants and other natural things-------------Taxol, Taxotere, Abraxane (Pacific Yew Tree), Navelbine (Madagascar Periwinkle Plant), Halaven (Sea Sponges). There are also others.
I rememer environmentalists were very upset when scientists were using bark from the Pacific Yew Tree to study during the development of Taxol. I remember thinking even though it was destroying trees it might save lives. Taxol is now one of the most widely used breast cancer "drugs".
Other common drugs were developed from plant sources. One that comes to mind is asprin. The original souce was the bark of the willow tree.
Sometimes when governments and large drug companies do not have the funding to do studies smaller or lesser known companies jump in and complete the work. It doesn't matter who develops something as long as it ends up being successful and helpful to alot of people.
I did some research about the product being tested that was mentioned in this thread and found out it might be Chinese Skullcap. I have included a link from the University of Maryland with more information about it.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/skullcap-000273.htm
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
fullofbeans

Elaine the link you provide is about another species (Scutellaria baicalensis.) but from the same genera indeed the Sloane Ketting site warn about this:
"
Scutellaria barbata is a perennial herb prevalent in Korea and southern China. It is used along with other herbs in traditional Chinese medicine to treat bacterial infections, hepatitis, tumors, and as a diuretic. It should not be confused with Scutellaria baicalensis.

Data from in vitro studies suggest that S. barbata has antibacterial (1), antimutagenic (2), and anticancer (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (10) (11) (12) properties. The flavonoid components are thought responsible for the anticancer activity. Small studies of S. barbata show that it is safe and may benefit patients with advanced breast cancer (13) (14). Further research is needed.
"
As you can see this plant has been used in the traditionally for treating people for tumors, ie the simple plant extract.

Yes indeed many drugs are from plants I guess most of us know about taxol but the difference with this thread is that this company is simply using an extract. Many drugs are not simple extract but most have twicked the molecular compound to provide medical acceptable dosage. Here the phenomena happening is that we are taking ancestral herbs/traditional medicine banning their use (by putting financial barriers) and re-introduce them for 100 time the prices. So no it does not matter who develop it but whether it cost 10p or 100$ a pill matter to vary many. whether you can have it now or in 10 years matter to stage 3 & 4. Synergy is also of relevance here many cannot afford to have many of these drug acting in synergy like tyk and herc. If there could be a way to have eased up rule for trials of safe compound such as this plant extract simply adding it to the standard of care of some patient it would be a good way forward.

Thanks for encouraging me to post when I think it may be of use. In a similar way thank you for your reply. And yes I agree about the need of patients first not bark from trees or for that matter mice (which require massive paper work and cost a lots to be used even in cancer drug development).

References
1-Sato Y, et al. Phytochemical flavones isolated from Scutellaria barbata and antibacterial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Ethnopharmacol 2000; 72(3):483-488.
2-Wong BY, Lau BH, Teel RW. Chinese medicinal herbs modulate mutagenesis, DNA binding and metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene 7,8-dihydrodiol and benzo[a]pyrene 7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide. Cancer Lett 1992; 62(2):123-131.
3-Wong BY, et al. Oldenlandia diffusa and Scutellaria barbata augment macrophage oxidative burst and inhibit tumor growth. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 1996; 11(1):51-56.
4-Chan JY, et al. Pheophorbide a, a major antitumor component purified from Scutellaria barbata, induces apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Planta Med 2006; 72(1):28-33.
5-Goh D, Lee YH, Ong ES. Inhibitory effects of a chemically standardized extract from Scutellaria barbata in human colon cancer cell lines, LoVo. J Agric Food Chem 2005; 53(21):8197-8204.
6-Kim DI, et al. Regulation of IGF-I production and proliferation of human leiomyomal smooth muscle cells by Scutellaria barbata D. Don in vitro: isolation of flavonoids of apigenin and luteolin as acting compounds. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2005; 205(3):213-224.
7-Yin X, et al. Anticancer activity and mechanism of Scutellaria barbata extract on human lung cancer cell line A549. Life Sci 2004; 75(18):2233-2244.
8-Powell CB, et al. Aqueous extract of herba Scutellaria barbatae, a chinese herb used for ovarian cancer, induces apoptosis of ovarian cancer cell lines. Gynecol Oncol 2003; 91(2):332-340.
9-Chen JK, Chen TT. Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology, 2nd ed. California: Art of Medicine Press; 2004.
10-Yu J, Liu H, Lei J, et al. Antitumor activity of chloroform fraction of Scutellaria barbata and its active constituents. Phytother Res. 2007 Sep;21(9):817-22.
11-Kim KW, Jin UH, Kim DI, et al. Antiproliferative effect of Scutellaria barbata D. Don. on cultured human uterine leiomyoma cells by down-regulation of the expression of Bcl-2 protein. Phytother Res. 2008 May;22(5):583-90.
12-Ozmen A, Madlener S, Bauer S, et al. In vitro anti-leukemic activity of the ethno-pharmacological plant Scutellaria orientalis ssp. carica endemic to western Turkey. Phytomedicine. 2009 Jul 1. [Epub ahead of print].
13-Rugo H, Shtivelman E, Perez A, et al. Phase I trial and antitumor effects of BZL101 for patients with advanced breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007 Sep;105(1):17-28. Epub 2006 Nov 17.
14-Perez AT, Arun B, Tripathy D, et al. A phase 1B dose escalation trial of Scutellaria barbata (BZL101) for patients with metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Feb;120(1):111-8.

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09

Last edited by fullofbeans; 08-26-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
yanyan

Hi, fullofbeans. Did you try chinese hebal medicine stores in Europe? They might have it. I get mine from a herbal medicine store in the U.S. Some lady posted an article about this plant and i remember she orders it online. It is a combination of Oldenlandia Diffusa and Scutellaria barbata . She also adds some Luo han guo, which makes it taste sweet. Sorry i don't remember where i saw her post.
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
pibikay

It must be good.But it will be years before there is a whisper about it here
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote