HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
Marlys

I was diagnosed in March, 2005; lumpectomy x2 (for wider margins) in April; started chemo(A/C) on May2 every 3 weeks x4; started Herceptin July 19 every 3 weeks for 1 year; started Rads x30 August 19. Found this site in October of that year and truly began to know there was hope regardless of my stage (which was 1). I knew where to turn when I got the "crusties". I found a friend I could visit when my husband & I went to Phoenix for preseason baseball (Tricia K. who is as beautiful as her picture). I have cried tears of sadness when friends have died and of joy when friends have found reason to celebrate, (Just look at the pictures of grandbabies that some of our children have given us, how could we not be joyful?) I have asked questions and even answered some, like telling Tom that "jacketed potatoes" were baked. (Of course I would know this because I am from Idaho). I do not post as often as some but I do when I have a question or think I have something to offer. I have never felt less because I am Stage 1. I am also a member of a group of people who don't drink and go to meetings and have found friends here who love sobriety, God, as we understand Him, and know that nothing happens in God's world by mistake. So, PinkGirl, don't feel less than because you are not!
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #42
madubois63

Milk thistle is a supplement supposed to help in cleansing the liver. I have taken it in the past, but when I had the bone marrow transplant, I had to stop all supplements. Since the liver failure, I have taken it religiously. Did it help?? who knows and who cares - I am better!

"Milk thistle ( Silybum marianum ) has been used since Greco-Roman times as an herbal remedy for a variety of ailments, particularly liver problems. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries physicians in the United States used milk thistle seeds to relieve congestion of the liver, spleen, and kidneys. Today, several scientific studies suggest that active substances in milk thistle (particularly silymarin) protect the liver from damage caused by viruses, toxins, alcohol, and certain drugs such as acetaminophen (aka - Tylenol) (a common over the counter medication used for headaches and pain; acetaminophen, also called paracetamol, can cause liver damage if taken in large quantities or by people who drink alcohol regularly.)
Many professional herbalists recommend milk thistle extract for the prevention and/or treatment of various liver disorders including viral hepatitis, fatty liver associated with long term alcohol use, and liver damage from drugs and industrial toxins such as carbon tetrachloride."
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #43
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Cool Thanks, Maryann

My nut/onc has me on ALPHA LIPOIC ACID 300 TWICE A DAY (supposed to detoxify the liver, acts as an antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage, can cross the brain barrier, boosts energy). I need all the energy I can lick up.

ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #44
TSund

You all have been a bridge to sanity for me. I will be forever grateful.

I find myself checking in so often, at first it was just desperately seeking anything that would help Ruth or make this journey easier. Now it's often to check on people that I've never met but that I have come to care deeply about. To see if anyone's come up with the magic cure. To do a little sleuthing in my moments when I "just have to do something". To ask the zillionith question. Yeah, sometimes I do feel like I "don't belong" but it means too much to me to give it up. Once in a while I hope I can offer a bit of help or a tidbit of info. That is what life is about; those small moments of making a difference. We all do it in different ways. Never underestimate your own power.

I hope that those of you that are doing well know how vitally important you are to those just beginning their journey, struggling with their journey, or anyone looking to the future.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #45
hermiracles

This thread just blows me away. Thank you so much for starting it Pink Girl ~ you are such a sweet heart.
I feel such love for each and everyone of you.
Thank you for being you.
Blessings all
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #46
goops

I have only been here a short time but I do feel welcome. I agree with Margerie that all of us know that we could become stage IV at anytime. It is a club that none of us want to join but one thing I have learned since coming here is that there is life after a stage 4 diagnosis.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #47
BethC

I feel like I belong here. I draw inspiration from all the strong fighters and survivors on this board. They all, including you PinkGirl, give me hope for the future! So thank you!

Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #48
Catherine

I feel like you are all my buddies. When I talk to my friends at home, I always refer to "my Her2 site." or my friends on my her2 site. Love to log on and see what is going on. Wish I had more time and energy to read all the posts and respond appropriately. I truly feel like we are all swirreling around in the sky as a big group of special people. I feel connected to everyone....even if I can't remember all the names and all the stories. To be honest, sometimes I do feel just a little self conscious that I am finished with treatment and all is going well for me. But I do not want to disappear from the site....1. because I enjoy it and 2. I feel like you would miss me!!! How is that for being over confident?

Party on, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #49
Karen W

I have always felt like I belong. This board is for information and support and we all benefit from it no matter what stage we are. I am so grateful for this board and the people who post here.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #50
harrie

I have always felt like I belong here. Sometimes I get a bit paranoid when I read about the stages others are dealing with and I think that someday that may be me. That is when I know I think I may need to back off a bit from this site.
I know one thing, I would have felt very isolated if I did not gave this group. There is something about the support received from those who are directly connected with cancer in one way or another.
And.....you just never know when something you share or say can somehow help another.
Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #51
suzan w

I have always felt like I belong here!!! It is a wonderful place full of all by best buddies who understand everything, and NEVER question anything that I have asked!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #52
jaybt

I am a HER2 newie and in remission and I joined this community as I identified with living with cancer and survival.
I have had great help from other member already and the information on new treatment strategies is invaluable.
For me its not a case of feeling whether I "belong"on this site but knowing I can share a journey.
Stage 3C. 15 of 16 lymph nodes metatastic with extracapsular spread
ER: 50% +/++ PR: - HER-2 CISH: Positive. Mean copy number per cell :18.5
CT Scan/Bone Scan/Ultrasound no secondaries April 07
DD chemo AC x4 & Taxol x2 with Neulasta followed by weekly low dosage Taxol x6 in June-August 07
35 rads to breast and neck December 07
1 year of Herceptin until July 08 & Arimidex
Mammogram NED Feb 08
1ST YEAR SURVIVOR

jaybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #53
harrie

What I really appreciate about this site is the variety of contributions, information, and experiences. So much so that no matter what, it is easy to fit in. Even the "rah-rah" stuff has its place!
On my last day of herceptin, I kinda wanted to go out to dinner and celebrate, but my husband had "plans". Dont get me wrong, he is generally a good supportive guy, but he just had his pre-arranged plans. So I was feeling a bit down....anticlimatic kind of feeling and Jean was nice enough to open a thread saying it was my day of completion for herceptin. I was SO surpised to see the response!!! I can't tell you how good it made me feel. I don't usually get a lot of responses to my posts, and I didn't really think there were many who even recongnized me at this site except for a few. BUT to see so many come out from around who knows where and give ME that rah-rah cheer of completion, totally made my day!!!
So the bottom line is no matter if you share a valuable medical information or just tell someone that you are happy for them, you just never know, it may touch a soul and mostly likely because it makes us feel that we are not alone.
Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #54
janet11

This has been the greatest board for HER2-specific information and support. I don't come often now because I don't feel I need any support any more. But I just come here from time to time to see what's new and see if there's someone I can help.

I find if I come here too often I do spend too much time (in my mind) thinking about what MIGHT happen. And life is too short to worry about what might NEVER happen. If it happens, I'll be back -- absolutely. There are super people here and I know I'll get good advice and support.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #55
harrie

I appreciate what Janet just posted. I finished all the treatments I needed to do not that long ago. This whole past year, PLUS, has been very consuming for me in regards to breast cancer. It is good having everything behind me, but at the same time it feels a bit vulnerable. Maybe that is one subconscious reason why I don't leave the HER2 site along with wanting to help others with my experiences. I know I still spend a considerable amount of time reading a lot of what is posted at the HER2 site. I feel like i am in that transition period of freeing my mind of being so consumed with breast cancer and all that it entails, yet not quite ready to let completely let go, feeling very relieved that it is pretty much behind me, yet having an underlying fear of what may be in store for the future. I think as time goes on, I will be out of this "transition period" and things will feel more settled down.
Does anyone out there know what I mean?
Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #56
Joan M

Pink Girl, I visited this community often in the early days of my early stage breast cancer. I learned a lot. When my cancer came back, I joined. This community is like my other breast cancer support network, which I joined several years ago before my recurrence. It meets once a month. One member had stage 1 bc 10 years ago and still comes to meetings. Another member had stage 1 bc nine years ago and just had a recurrence in her other breast. Several members are newly diagnosed. Some have celebrated five-year anniversaries. Two were diagnosed with IBC. One had a bone marrow transplant in 1996, and is now looking forward to her daughter's college graduation, which she thought she'd never see. Then there's the incredibly sad part. My good friend Janet from the group became an angel in January leaving behind two college-aged children. And my other friend Fran is home from the hospital but on oxygen. But we all have breast cancer in common. Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #57
Joan M

Pink Girl, I visited this community often in the early days of my early stage breast cancer. I learned a lot. When my cancer came back, I joined. This community is like my other breast cancer support network, which I joined several years ago before my recurrence. It meets once a month. One member had stage 1 bc 10 years ago and still comes to meetings. Another member had stage 1 bc nine years ago and just had a recurrence in her other breast. Several members are newly diagnosed. Some have celebrated five-year anniversaries. Two were diagnosed with IBC. One had a bone marrow transplant in 1996, and is now looking forward to her daughter's college graduation, which she thought she'd never see. Then there's the incredibly sad part. My good friend Janet from the group became an angel in January leaving behind two college-aged children. And my other friend Fran is home from the hospital but on oxygen. But we all have breast cancer in common. Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote