HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #1
kathy

Has anyone heard of Iressa being used to treat metastatic breast cancer?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
sherry

I have a friend with liver mets who is on iressa and herceptin combined and her markers were stable the last time I spoke with her. Her main complaint was diarrhea and rash. I have heard as a single agent it is not too effective ( I seem to recall a 10% response rate ) but combined with herceptin might be more effective.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
Linda in MI.

Shannon,

It's probably due to hormonal changes from the menopause. Please try not to panic. I know it's hard not to but just enjoy Christmas with your family because if you let it bother you you are going to be mad at yourself later on that you let it interfere with enjoying the holidays. We are all here for you, remember that.

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Anonymous

any long term surviros out there w advanced bc/ mets? navelbine/gemzar? success stories? how long did it take for the chemo to start working?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 AM   #5
Anonymous

is herceptin the same thing as gemzar
Old 01-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
Kitty

No - Gemzar is a chemo; Herceptin is an antibody specifically designed to bind to the cancer cells which overexpress the Her2 protein to stop the cells from growing and dividing. Chemo drugs generally slow or stop the growth of cancer cells. Herceptin is also known as Trastuzumab and is used only for Her2+ cancers. It can be used alone or in combination with other chemo drugs.
Kitty
Old 01-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #7
christine

I was dx'ed as stage IV in June 1999 with mets to the chest and brain. Been on Herceptin since August 1999..Doing great.

Go to our home page and then to "Index" if you select "stories" we have several stories from long term survivors.

We are also in the process of collecting stories from other long term survivors which we should publish at the end of this month on our "new" renovated web site.

Hugs and well wishes
Christine
Old 01-06-2004, 08:08 AM   #8
Lolly

Dx in January 2001 with mets to supraclavicular lymph nodes and skin. I started Herceptin/Navelbine and within 2 weeks saw skin mets shrinking, after 3 months no visible or palpable evidence and blood tumor markers were normal. After 6 months was NED and went to Herceptin only. I continue on Herceptin as a maintenance therapy indefinitely. I have blood markers checked every 3 months, and annual scans unless something seems worrisome which is then checked...So far so good!
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 01-07-2004, 03:09 AM   #9
Kathie in New Jersey

I was told by an oncologist that Gemzar is the sister drug to Herceptin. So with that I would assume that they are somewhat alike
Old 01-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
Debby

Gemzar is the sister drug to Navelbine.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Lolly

Oh yes, kleenex bits in the laundry!
I don't know if the dripping goes away once Herceptin is discontinued, because I've not stopped and don't plan to in the near future, I'll take it drippy nose and all!
Lolly
Old 01-29-2004, 02:42 AM   #12
kelly

does anyone have pain in their ribs? taking femara gemzar and navelbine. mets n brain and liver. havnet had chemo since since friday 1/16??
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 AM   #13
Amy

My sister has breast cancer with mets to brain and liver. She has been saying that she has pain in her ribs, and on both sides, and around the liver. She's taking gemzar and navelbine. Are rib pains common - or is it because of the liver mets? They said she only had a few spots there.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:01 AM   #14
Lisa

Amy,
First, I'm so sorry about your sister. You're obviously an active supporter for her and that's great.

I have liver and bone mets and am also on Navelbine. Occasionally, I have rib pains. I know they're not from the bone mets. Pain on the right side in back is definitely from the liver. And Navelbine can cause pains. Other than that, no one has ever really diax my rib pains, either. Is she on any type of pain killer? I am now on MS Contin (morphine) which has helped all my pains tremendously. I have very few (if any) side effects from it.

Lots of love and light to you both,

Lisa
Old 02-05-2004, 08:44 PM   #15
Anonymous

Has anyone known anybody to have liptomenengitis? The cancer has gone to my spinal fluid and there is not much hope for further treatment. I have a short time to live but could try further treatment to see if it may give me a little more time. I feel fine now, but of course am not ready to die. I have to small children and just don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,Julie
Old 02-06-2004, 02:16 AM   #16
Staci

My prayers are with you. May our Lord bless and keep you. Find strength in His peace. There is always hope. Do not give up looking for a treatment. If your onc. doesn't have a plan, find one who does. I pray you find the answers you are seeking. Stay strong and positive. You are not alone in this fight.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:07 AM   #17
Sue

I am writing this because I am worried to death. I had my navelbine shot today and for some reason i wanted to look at my tumor marker chart. i noticed that CA 27.29 was around 25-31 at the end of last year after I had a surgery to remove brain met. and then CA 27.29 jumped to 41 in 2/04. i talked to my doctor about it and he said that there is nothing to worry unless CT scans proves any activity. i have to wait until monday to set up any appointments because it is too late today to call for appointments. i recently had spine and brain MRI and those were all clear. until monday, i have to sit at home and wonder about what it could mean and of course, wonder about the worst case scenario. any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2004, 04:36 AM   #18
Vi

I was reading some of the stories on the site index and wondered how Kathleen, Lynn, Tracy are all doing. I see some posts from Lolly, so I can figure out that she's doing pretty well. The stories are fascinating, and I just wonder how everyone is doing.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
linda in MI.

Hi Ladies,

Just to give you an update....my fluid kept returning in my opposite lung that I had the lund talc on (I had it done on the left), now have fluid on the right so last Wed. I had a pleurodex catheter inserted so I can have it drained at home every 2-3 days. I had it done yesterday and it was painless--just some coughing at the end. She drained close to 1 liter. I'm having it drained again tomorrow.

Hopefully this will all end in another month or so. I'm trying so hard to be patient. I'm getting physical therapy too since I lost some muscle mass/protein in my body since I've been laid up not being able to do much because of having to be on the oxygen.

I have made some progress and am feeling a little stronger but I just wish I could take leaps instead of baby steps.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with these pleural effusions?

Talk to you all later and hopefully with some even more positive news. Please keep me in your prayers.

P.S. I've been on the navalbine for 3 weeks now. Hope it's working and shows signs that it's "kicking in" soon!!

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #20
Sheila

Linda
You are in my prayers that things will improve for you...seems you are going through alot right now...your bravery an determination are an inspiration to all of us...prayers for a speedy recovery.
Hugs
Sheila