HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Cannon

Red face Checking In

I wanted to say 'hi' to everyone (old and new). I hate to come back every few months and see more of our sisters gone. I do, however, like to be able to come back and say that I remain NED, and hope that provides hope to others.

I am 7 years out from my surgery date with NED, so that's excellent, but every few months I have something else serious raise its ugly head. I turned 50 this summer, and realized I have been seriously sick for 10 years with one thing and another.

After acute pancreatitis in January, and debilitating fatigue since, my new GI suggested treating my Crohn's more aggressivley, so I have begun Humira. (I had been reluctant because there is very small chance of lymphoma - oy). I am still tired but not unbearably fatigued, so I'm calling that a good thing.

Winter is never a good time for me emotionally, so I've been happy about the relatively dry and mild fall in NJ (near NYC), and fingers crossed for more of the same.

My aunt (a young 67) who had stage 1 in 2006, when I had stage 3, has recurred with stage 4, mets in liver, lungs and bones. She is not HER+, so she's on taxol and avastin, which has stabilized her. She was hoping her mets would shrink (and disappear) but apparently that is not reasonable at this stage.

Wishing you all love and light for the winter days (Northern Hemisphere), and for spring to come quickly!
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Paty

Re: Checking In

Dear Cannon,

Great to hear from you again. It had been sometime since I last saw your picture. Thanks for the update. i am glad you are doing ok regarding BC and I do wish very badly that you do not have many Chrons's symptoms. I also turned 50 this year (January), and I have also been NED since I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have recently being diagnosed with colitis and believe me, my symptomps have given me amlot of bad moments and sometimes they have also stopped me from doing what I like, like travelling. I am taking medication, but symptoms does not seem to go away as, I believe, they should. Anyways, I can't complain, after all,I am very thankful that I have had a chance to life so happily all this time. I am very sorry to hear about your aunt, I think there is hope to keep things stabilized and have a good quality of life. Nowadays there are so many treatments out there. Keep us updated and do not go away that long. God bless you. Hugs to you.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Aussie Girl

Re: Checking In

Dear Cannon,

I'm a relative newcomer on this site. I'm sorry to hear about your Crohn's disease and pancreatitis is a nasty thing too. I know a few people who have had it. It must be hard to maintain your nutrition with that combination.

I'm hoping the Humira does the trick. It is used here in Australia too for Crohn's, often with good results.

Best wishes to you and your Aunt

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Cannon

Smile Re: Checking In

Thanks Paty & Aussie Girl for the good wishes.

The Humira is definitely helping with the Crohn's, but as my GI said, the longer you've been sick, and the sicker you've been, the longer it takes to heal. So I am trying to think of myself as in a long slow recovery from all the bits & pieces. The big change has been in absorption - my hemaglobin, which has been a struggle to keep above 10, is now 12.6! Haven't had that since I started menstruating!

I also found out last week that my cardiomyopathy, which had been severe (15 ejection fraction) and returned to near normal (50 in May) is back down to 35. WTF? I didn't know it could go down again. But as I always like to say, at least I am here to have these problems.

Paty, is your colitis considered IBS or ulcerative colitis? Either way, you should be feeling better, keep pushing. Have you considered going gluten-free? My GI recommends it for IBS, even if no celiac disease present.

Best to you all,
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote