HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Carolyns

Okay I admit I'm scared

Hi Ladies,

I am trying to stay busy and positive...funny and light, but...

Bottom line is that since I got confirmation that the bone mets in the spine are active again and I am adding Tykerb...and it arrived today...the pressure is building. I know that I have much to be thankful for and that most of the scans showed good news...but...I am scared. There I said it and you know it. I want to sound positive but...I am scared. Yikes, not terrified but scared...

scared, scared, scared...

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
chrisy

True confession

Carolyn,

Of course you are scared. Who wouldn't be, "knowing" the appearance that all is not well with our bodies. So much of this fight - maybe even more than the chemo - is the mind games. Every day my mind goes to the dark side and it scary and sad. The best we can do is try to not dwell there. None of us know what is to come in the next days, weeks, months or years. Our job is to tap into the hope and resilience inside and just keep putting one foot in front of the other. And have our faith be stronger than our fear.

Sending you big hugs.

Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Carolyns

Chrisy,

Thank you. You said exactly the right thing at the right time. You are a wise women.

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyn
Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Lolly

Red face you're not the only one!

I'm scared too, most of the time, just don't let myself admit it. Most of the time. I think it's healthier to admit our fears, I'm just not very good at that. Bravo for you to put it out there! Just breath in, breath out, one day at a time.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Carolyns

Lolly,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad I can come here and say how I really feel. You are such a dear. I too tend to keep stuff inside...but this is just too big. I must keep up a strong appearance for the rest of the world but I know that you folks understand.

Love, Hope and Peace,

Carolyn
Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
tousled1

Carolyn,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you're scared and it is perfectly normal to feel that way. I too am scared but like you don't admit it to anyone. I keep up the brave front and try and remain positive. Hopefully, the tykerb is just what you need to control the mets. You're in my prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
SoCalGal

We are all scared

I remember when I was first diagnosed, 11 years ago, telling people that the fear factor was far worse than any chemo or cancer.

I fight anxiety everyday of my life since this mets diagnosis. I think we all do. I have been trying to limit my freaking out time to less than 1/2 hour a day, and NEVER at night. It is hard to do - I talk to myself all the time. I also take ativan to smooth the edges whenever I need it which can be quite often. I resent how much time I spend in cancer-world, yet can't quite seem to move on yet. My days are spent trying to manage my symptoms and managing my emotions. I now think of anything less than stage 4 as "not real cancer". I know that's crazy but it's how I feel right now. Isolated and scared. Yet at the same time, I have hope when I read postings on this site.

Try to stay present, look around, see the sun shining and see those who surround you with white light, love and healing.

You are not alone. Chazak (be strong - Hebrew).
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
VirginiaGirl

I, too, have to confess I'm scared. I have a scan coming up Friday. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed w/ insulin-dependent diabetes just 3 weeks ago, and it took us by surprise. I've had to do intensive learning about yet another chronic disease, but it's harder because it's her and not me. It's been very stressful, the daily management is stressful, and I'm worried about the effect on my cancer of all this stress. I've had a couple pains - just twice - similar to what I had before the cancer was almost all gone, and I haven't told my husband or family coz I don't want to worry them. I knew from my experience with this board to find one for diabetes, and that has been very helpful too, helpful carb-counting info none of the docs or nurses told us about, plus an avenue for my daughter to hook up with other kids w/ diabetes. One good thing about it is that I am eating better since I don't feel right eating things and at times she can't. Anyway, it finally occured to me to put my fears out here, maybe it would help. Thanks for listening.
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote