HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Steph N

Sandy had another concern in mind with her original post, but this thread has brought up some other important points.
Regarding Adriamycin for Her2 patients. I took 12 weekly doses, and that along with Taxotere did not stop my cancer from progressing from Stage 2 initially to Stage 4 within six months of finishing chemo. Major mets to my liver and I am hormone neg. No hormone supressors of any kind for me. So, in my case, the Big Red did not do the job.
I know 2 women at this moment who have had their cancer mutate so that they now have both hormone and Her2 positive tumors. One was on the supressor/Herceptin combo and has progressed to a scary degree and is now on a multi-chemo combo as well. The other is finding out this week if she has to go back on chemo or if the Herceptin/Letrozole (Femara) is working for her.
So, as the article says, there is still a lot of work to be done and the prevailing wisdom seems to change with the wind and the particular patient. We each HAVE to try something out of the available drugs and hope for the best.
Thanks for showing us some articles, but the point about the Adriamycin still needs more answers.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
jeff

Hey Steph,

Absolutely--I know that one of the frustrating things about facing all of these decisions is that there is this element of shooting in the dark--not knowing which treatment is right for which person. That's why I really hope that the technology for testing different treatments on tumors in the lab is accepted more widely soon...

Best,
Jeff