HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
ginnyg898

How to start over...

Hi All:

I am sure this has been posted many times before, but posting now in hopes that others will have some insight.

As you can see by my sig I have been in active treatment since last August. I am looking forward to my last rad this Wednesday. When I was diagnosed I had a good job, three beautiful toddlers and my life was set. Since diagnosis I have lost my job (see previous postings for details on the evil boss from hell ), my body is wrecked from treatment, and my disposition is less than cheery.

I am struggling with the issue of transitioning from active treatment to rebuilding my life. One thing that keeps popping up is my Oncologist's comment that even though my nodes were clear, in his experience the cancer had probably spread. I plan to request a PET scan soon just for my own peice of mind, and I will be on Herceptin until September then Tamoxifen.

Quite simply, I am absolutely terrifed of starting over and not sure how to put all this in its proper place...in the past! I still have some pretty dibilitating side effects from chemo and my dr said it will be a while before I return to work.

I would love to hear from all of you that have moved on and started over...I thought chemo was the hardest part...but I am finding that the mental part is proving to be just as hard...

Ginny
ER+/PR-/HER2+
2.2cm tumor/Stage 2A
No node involvement
Tested negative for BRCA 1/2
Participated in a UCLA clinical trial testing TCH and/or Lapatinib in stage 1/2/3 bc patients that can be removed by surgery.
Underwent neo-adjuvant therapy to shrink tumor prior to surgery.
1st Surgery date: 2/16/11
Pathology report indicated ADH/DCIS in margin.
2nd Surgery: 3/21/11
Clean margins!
Started radiation: 4/11/11
Completed radiation: 7/8/11
1st post-surgical mammogram: 8/16/11 - CLEAR!
6 Weeks of Tamoxifen - Failure to Respond
Started Lupron/Arimidex: 8/29/11
Herceptin until September '11

Recurrence - August 2018
Same profile - ER+/PR-/HER2+
Undergoing neo-adjuvant therapy prior to surgery;
Gemzar, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Perjeta
Chemo through the end of 2018...
ginnyg898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Shobha

Re: How to start over...

Hi Ginny,

I am very surprised at what your Onc. said. In fact, in most cases, node negative after neo-adjuvant therapy is considered to have good prognosis. Staying vigilant is always required no matter what, so why he/she said that it may have spread, I just don't get...

Getting back to normal routine was scary prospect for me as well. I remained on disability until I finished herceptin. Those few months were great to recuperate from chemo side affects as well as slowly return to the new normal. Fortunately, my boss and my company was very supportive, so the transition was smooth.

I had a very hectic and stressful job before the dx but on returning , I deliberately took on something that was less stressful,had far less visibility and had a predictable schedule. My children, then 6 and 5 have always been my source of strength. Staying busy was my best way to return to normal although even today, any little cough/cold can get me anxious.

I think you will do great - take your time and things will fall into place...wishing you the best!
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Jackie07

Ginny,

Scroll down to 'Breast cancer news' and find the thread 'State of the research in chemobrain' started by Idelle. She has coauthored a book with Dr. Dan Silverman. You will find lots of good information/tips/strategies from the links provided on that thread.

It will get better. I've found that physical/mental exercise help the most. Music provides multiple stimuli to the brain and I think it helps our brain to recover besides its soothing effect. (That one just popped into my mind...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 06-06-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Adriana Mangus

Hi Ginny,

I'm speechless!! I can't believe that a doctor would say that to a patient who's barely done with chemo and radiation.

Please take his words with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and our bodies react in a unique way to the chemo drugs, etc.

Now let's say that your cancer does return, so what?? having cancer is no longer a death sentence. There are wonderful drugs out there--tons of them--to treat specifically breast cancer reocurrences. Trust me on this one.

Relax, enjoy your life, go to the movies--there are many great summer movies out there-- I just saw the Bridesmaids with my daughter, we had a great time!!!!!!!

I'm a 17+ years breast cancer survivor with mets to right lung since 2003. I'm having a blast, enjoying life to the fullest. Hope you do the same.

Much Love to you.

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Lien

That onc of yours has no way of knowing if or when your cancer comes back. The remark was stupid and insensitive and makes me wonder whether he knows his business.

The transition from active treatment to the next phase is hard. You are tired, battered and often an emotional wreck. I had a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old at home, and a 12 yr old & 16 yr old alternately living with us and with their mother. I thought that was hard. I can't imagine what it is like with 3 toddlers. You will have to find a new normal and that's just what you'll do. One step at the time, one breath at the time. It is hard, and you will need support, but you can do it.

In time, it will get easier. The further out from diagnosis, the longer the periods when you forget to think about cancer. You will enjoy your kids, see them grow up and find yourself being upset or grumpy for other reasons than cancer.

For me the hardest time was when I realized that all I could do from then on was wait. It made me feel like I had no control over anything in my life. So I tried to find things I did have control over. Like reading, or cooking, or jogging, or skiing. Things that would take my mind off the fear that I would not see my kids grow up. And that worked for me. You will find something that works for you.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
belle

Hi Ginny,

I second all the great replies you have received already. It brings nothing to dwell on what the onc said. Doctors tend to have different opinions about the same case. Maybe your onc turned out to be the pessimistic, helpless, or whatever type of person he is. On my mom's 4 year journey with bc (now 1+ year stage IV) we have been through several different doctors with different attitudes, opinions and competence. With no lymph node involvement the chances for no recurrence are usually good.

About getting back to normal life - it takes time... especially after what your doctor said. You received all the necessary treatment and have done your best to stay healthy. It gives your nothing to guess the future and draw pictures. It doesn't harm to stay vigilant and informed but also enjoy your life.

Hugs and best wishes,
belle
belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
PatriceH

What you are going through is very common. Your life has been a structure of appointments and has become your "Normal." Now what? This is a time of personal reflection and evaluation. Embrace this time. It is scary to take a hard look at your emotions and your dreams. But here you are--you have Today. "What will I do with today?" Get out a tablet, cut out pictures of what you want your life to look like in a year. Post your "Vision Board" in a place you will see it every day. It is amazing that when you put your life in front of you in pictures, you make decisions that lead you to that reality. Have little dreams and have big dreams. Life is waiting for you--embrace the opportunities that await you!
PatriceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Sheila

Ginny
Its a shame your Dr would say that....we all face the possibility of recurrence.....but dont y live your life waiting for it to happen.....be vigilent, and enjoy life...you have been thrown into cancerland for a visit, now it is time to get back into the real world. It may never be the same, but it will be what YOU make it. Take it one day at a time.....I am a firm believer that this disease DOES give us a different outlook on life.....I now take time to "smell the roses" and enjoy the simplest things. I recurred, and I am still here....and I am still enjoying each and every day I have been blessed with. Whenever I start feeling down, all I need to do is look around, I am surrounded by blessings and happiness. You are too!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Elizabethtx

Ginny,
I agree..shame on your doctor for not giving you anything but hope at this stage! I know they see this everyday, but as you will read here on this site, breast cancer treatment is in a new place now. Targeted therapy, vaccines, gamma knife have changed the face of treatment! Do not give up hope. Find a doctor who is willing to encourage you and try whatever it takes to survive! Hugs from me.....
Elizabeth
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Debbie L.

I think you were closer to the truth when you talked about moving on. Moving on means (to me) taking something from an experience with you as you go. You are not starting over, as if from scratch. You are meshing the old you and what has changed in your life as a result of breast cancer -- and you are weaving it all into the you of today. What you take from the recent changes is in part your choice, and as so many have already said -- taking that new perspective that can help you seize your moments is one of the good things that can move on with you.

Your onc may simply have meant that he wanted you to get systemic treatment (as you did) because it's likely some cancer cells had moved out of the breast, which is correct. That does NOT mean you'll have a recurrence, it means that's the way many cancers, and particularly HER2+ cancers, tend to behave. That's why Herceptin and chemo is given, to get those cancer cells that have "spread". Both chemo and Herceptin are pretty effective at getting those cells. Not 100%, there is no absolute guarantee, but with your treatment you've made a big difference in the right direction.

I think it helped me most to hear that I would NEVER get back to "normal", but that I would find a "new normal". At first that sounded hard, but as I realized it was true, the second part of the statement began to seem not that bad. Some days, it even seemed like an improvement. The other good-news part of that is that we have some choice, some chance to affect, how that new normal looks.

It didn't work for me to try and convince myself that I'm cured and don't ever have to worry about cancer. It worked better for me to accept that life, particularly my life after cancer, is uncertain. And to use that uncertainty and lack of a warranty as a nearly-constant reminder to make the most of each moment. But that's just me. Others seem to do well with lots of reassurances and stories of those who've not had recurrences. And that's fine. We're all different, and because of that, we each need to find our own way. We can't assume that an approach that worked for someone else will be the right way for us.

That's probably the hardest part, and the best part, of this experience, no matter what happens ultimately. It's hard (but good) work, to look within and find what is best, for each of us individually. No one can tell us that. Only we can figure it out, for ourself. I send you lots of good wishes as you do this good work.

Debbie Laxague
PS: What you said about this being the hardest part is so right, for so many of us. I think it does help just to know that it's perfectly normal to enter this time of angst, or doldrums, or whatever we call it -- after treatment ends. Maybe we could call it a "rite of passage" into the next stage of our life.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
ginnyg898

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful insights. I honestly dont know what i would do if you ladies were here to provide support
ER+/PR-/HER2+
2.2cm tumor/Stage 2A
No node involvement
Tested negative for BRCA 1/2
Participated in a UCLA clinical trial testing TCH and/or Lapatinib in stage 1/2/3 bc patients that can be removed by surgery.
Underwent neo-adjuvant therapy to shrink tumor prior to surgery.
1st Surgery date: 2/16/11
Pathology report indicated ADH/DCIS in margin.
2nd Surgery: 3/21/11
Clean margins!
Started radiation: 4/11/11
Completed radiation: 7/8/11
1st post-surgical mammogram: 8/16/11 - CLEAR!
6 Weeks of Tamoxifen - Failure to Respond
Started Lupron/Arimidex: 8/29/11
Herceptin until September '11

Recurrence - August 2018
Same profile - ER+/PR-/HER2+
Undergoing neo-adjuvant therapy prior to surgery;
Gemzar, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Perjeta
Chemo through the end of 2018...
ginnyg898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
CoolBreeze

Like everybody else, I'm surprised at your onc's statement. Mine pretty much told me I had a good prognosis and he was shocked when I had a recurrence.

He was wrong, but maybe I took the bullet from you!

Keep in mind, the same negative guy who gave you the misinformation about your prognosis is the one saying you won't work for a while. Frankly, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what he says. He clearly is not a positive person, nor is he realistic. He likes to see the worst side of things.

Node negative women with smallish tumors have a great shot at beating this disease - even if HER2. The odds are WITH you, not against you. And, I don't know what your SEs are but you can work to overcome then. I'd try to prove that SOB wrong.

I have read its very common for people to feel lost at the end of treatment. I wasn't one of them - I was very eager to move on and felt confident the beast was slayed and didn't look back. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me but I know I'm rare.

You will never get past cancer. With time comes healing and eventually you won't worry so much. Your chemo SEs will go away and you will become more like your old self. But, that cancer will always be in the back of your mind. It changes you.

Your job is to try to figure out how to move on. Research ways to improve your physical situation. Get out, exercise, improve your health. Learn something new, and find a way to create a new healthy life. Every time dark thoughts come in, find something positive to do.

Maybe when you go back to work you'll find a better job, or a simpler job you enjoy more. I don't know, it's something you need to figure out.

Thousands of women have been where you are and are doing well. Cancer will always be a part of you, but as long as you don't let it overwhelm you, you will do well.

FYI - I worked during chemo. I plan to work during chemo again too.

Big {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Blondie

Hi Ginny,

I am at the similar stage of treatment as you, I finish Herceptin in October. I can relate to many of the issues you have discussed.

I returned to work full time when I completed chemo in February. Some days I feel fine and other days everything hits me all at once- diagnosis, treatment, and anxieties re the future. Throughout chemo I was too busy with appointments, managing side effects and feeling awful that I don't think it really hit me until past few months. Also, initially after diagnosis peoples flight / fight response kicks in.

I suppose I feel very tired of it all! Ongoing side effects- fatigue and chemobrain- particulary when at work. I don't have the energy outside of work to find the work / life balance some days.

Also, my priorities and goals have changed. Quite often the goals of those around you don't though. This is what I find the most challenging....I think at times it is a way of coping- your loved ones go into a denial. They don't think that the cancer will ever come back- so they carry on as usual and you feel so different. Feel like I'm on another planet some days. I'm reassessing my hopes and dreams.....

So I take one day at a time at the moment- live in the moment. Try and do the things I enjoy each day- gain enjoyment from the very simple but most important things in life! If I do have a "bad day" I try and think tomorrow is another day and all will be well.

I agree with all the other ladies. Your Dr should be inspiring hope- not fear and anxiety!

All the best
Blondie
1/11 nodes +
Lumptectomy, radiotherapy
CMF chemo and 6 yrs Tamoxifen
Retesting in 2010 revealed tumor to be HER2+++

Microcalifications on mammogram
12 biospies- all clear
MRI-all clear

July 2010
Elected mastectomy right side,
10cm IDCS
1cm Tumor, Grade 3
Triple positive

3 Taxotere, 3 FEC
1 yr Herceptin- finish in October 2011
Tamoxifen
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
Becky

I want to add my 2 cents - the new normal is hard to accept, especially the first few years. I thought the first 3 years or so was hardest - thinking about the possibility of recurring and all I had been through. Unlike most, I did not have the chance to have Herceptin with chemo treatments, it was not available and done that way then. Four months out of chemo and 2 months out from radiation, it was available so I did the Herceptin alone. It does work that way but it is not as good as when you get it with chemo but I got it. Worry, worry, worry. I really think it is part of the process and helps you to move on the way you want to. I think the hurt of it is (in a way) essential. You grow up quick and it makes you think of how you want it to be. Who will be in your life, what kind of job you want. Some of those things you have to fight for and you KNOW you know how to fight. You fought this, you can fight anything. Yes, cancer changes your outlook but that can be a good and useful thing as long as you do not become a "woe's me" person and you won't. Time is on your side and you will come out the other side better than you were, stronger than you were.

There is always a possibility of recurrence. I am almost 7 years out and had a positive node but I still can recur but everyday that goes by, there is less chance of that but I do not think about it all the time anymore even though I come on this board everyday to "see" my friends who helped me through like Sheila, StephN, Sassy, Jean, Alaska Angel. I also come on to help others and just plain ole stay informed.

As for your doctor, some just do not have a bedside manner at all. Many cannot communicate in a way that reduces fear. For example, once a tumor is a million cells (which may be still undetectable), some cells can break off and travel. Therefore, all of us may have had traveling cells. Some cannot "take hold" anywhere else (the immune system takes care of them), some cells are also killed by treatment. Your doctor knows this but could have said everything differently - telling you your prognosis is excellent (IT IS) but that you will need to be viligent (you do) on pain or symptoms that persist beyond 2-3 weeks.

Like you, I got CT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis as well as a brain MRI after chemo and rads (right when I was just starting the late Herceptin) for peace of mind. That was all I had so far (besides mammos).

Bottom line is that the end of treatment is a scary time and you have been through alot (even personally with your job). But use it to your advantage. Did you like the job? You now know what your old boss is really made of - a pile of ----!! Probably would have fired you if your child got a bad case of the flu and you had to stay home. Now, rest up and find yourself your dream job. You will be very happy with it.

We are always here for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote