HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
rinaina

Re: Decision Time - Need Advice

I had a lumpectomy chemo, a year of herceptin and radiation and 5 years later still NED. I didn't have any node involvement and I was stage 1 her 2 positive er/pr negative. I often wonder if it would have been easier on my mind to just do a mastectomy but for now I am content. If I have one more scare though, that will make my decision to have a double mastectomy. Had a scare a month ago but all was okay.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
PatriceH

I had kind of decided that whatever decision I made was the best decision I could make at the time with the information that I had on hand. Whatever decision you make, believe in yourself and no looking back to say "If only" if there is a recurrence in the future. Best wishes to you. You know You...Believe Boldly!
PatriceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
fluffqueen01

I was stage one, grade 2, with a mulitfocal, multicentric IDC that also had a little LCIS in it. less than 1 cm. I chose to have a bmx as my breasts were dense and anything was hard to find. I also couldn't face worrying about the other breast for the rest of my life on a daily basis. (I am 55). I had no problems after bmx, full range of motion is back, etc.

I chose immediate reconstruction which was going great although there was an pseudoma infection two weeks after surgery. We thought we had it eliminated with antibiotics, when it showed up again. PS went in to look at it prepared to insert the implants if it wasn't too bad. Decided to wait. So everything was removed, I did another two weeks of IV anitbiotics along with oral cipro. All seems to be good now and we will be starting over in August.

Pathology of the bmx was excellent, and they found a fibroadenoma on the other breast that did not show up on mammo, mri or ultrasound. Made me feel like I made a sound decision.

good luck! I have done taxol/herceptin after the fact and only have one session of taxol left to go.

2/28/2011 Bilateral Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

3/22-Taxol weekly x 12
Herceptin weekly x 12, then every 3 weeks for 9 more months
fluffqueen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
jra40

Smile Re: Decision Time - Need Advice

Just want to thank all of you wonderful ladies for answering my thread and giving me advice! I just met with my onocologist today and she is advising me to go with a lumptectomy. I discussed my concerns of recurrance with her and possibly going the radical route, but she assured my husband and I to stay with a lumptectomy. Although we do not have my breast MRI results back yet, she is confident that the tumor is no longer there after thouroghly pressing around. I meet with my surgeon next Wednesday so the final decision will be made then.

Thank you again - this website and all of you have really been a blessing for me!

Jessica
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote