HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #21
Donna

Let me count the ways.....

Oh yeah - name an antidepressant and I have been on it - I am pretty sure there isn't one I have missed over the years. Each one seemed to give me a new "something" like lexapro turned me into a shopaholic, one combo made me bipolar - what an adventure - trying to get better only to have some new thing to cope with. I was completely off of them for about a year before BC diagnosis - then when I was almost through with rads I just felt that black cloud descending again and I am back on effexor again.

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
hutchibk

I did not take anti-deps prior to b/c. Before I started chemo, my doc suggested I consider a mild anti-dep to help keep my spirits up as I navigated my way through the first 9 months post DX. I took Remeron for 11 months, tapered off, and have not taken anything since.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #23
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink For The Record...

No anti d's before bc.

I took Zoloft after bc. Then nothing. Then mets. Then Zoloft, Ativan, Ambien, Xanax -- all the help I could get. Then I tapered off.

Went on Effexor Sept '06 -- to relieve hot flashes mostly. Did not work. Did cure my IBS though! Okay.

Last June I began to crash. New onc. Lost my lifeline onc nurse, she left. New onc wanted brain MRI, colonoscopy, genetic testing (I am a 12 yr bc patient remember) -- if I cared at all about my dghtrs and granddaughters, were his words barked at me. He was gruff and blunt, brilliant and odious to me. I felt untethered, having had the very best of the best who also happened to be the most wonderful, humane beings I'd ever encountered. I was spoiled, I suppose. This onc traveled a lot and was unavailable a lot though I am basically a maintence patient. My old onc, now in Tenn, urged me to stay w/new onc (his old partner) via email. I trust this onc more than words can say, respect his opinion enormously. I stuck it out.

*I* figured out Effexor was the culprit in making me feel shaky, depressed, dizzy, mentally confused and scattered, unable to focus. I asked to be weaned off about a mnth ago. I have done this, w/great difficulty, returned to old IBS meds to stabilize that and have restarted Zoloft, my old standby. No meds or supplements before bc. Now big supplement lady. Please see my thread GAINING CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30419

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #24
Ginagce

I'm with Andi. What I see as a prime example is Dana Reeves which I do not believe is a coincidence.

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink A Bodymind With A Spirit -- That's Who We Are!!

Gin, I love that your *interest* is LIFE. And your occupation RADICAL SABBATICAL! You are a beautiful Spirit! With a bodymind! Love your perspective...

I thought Dana, w/her great attitude and love of her son, had the need to go and be with Christopher. They are true Soulmates! A beautiful love story. Inseparable Spirits. I believe her son is being well taken care of... And the two lovers are together for sure.

Gina, I am sorry that your husband passed on in '98. When were you dx? And when did you recur? Is there a connection between the pain of the loss and bc do you think? Surely, a most difficult and traumatizing event to cope with...

With loving energy...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
mts

I took Effexor to remedy the hot flashes. It really worked for that but I too felt the horrid dizziness, shakyness and problems remembering stuff. I started to cut back on the Effexor VERY gradually because of the side effects. But, will say that when I got down to a half of a pill I did quite well on them. By then however I had my mind made up that I was going to ween off completely. Most Px's are one size fits all and when it comes to these powerful drugs, I believe it needs to be more tailored. Everyone metabolizes differently.
Now I know that if I ever take another anti-depressant, I will work my way up the amount rather than the other way around.
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #27
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink I Can't Even See Your Face! Nice *family* Though!!

Dear Mountains, Sorry, I couldn't resist. MTS. How does one relate to that? I have a reallllyyyyy difficult time. Again -- sorry. Multiple traumatic syndrome?? Just doesn't work for me.

Well, anyway -- I took 25 mg Zoloft for yrs. Did I tell this already? In this thread? If so, move on. If not -- got to 50 mg and called doc to say, You need to prescribe a diff anti d cause I am having headaches ev day and I NEVER get headaches and my palms are sweaty and I feel horrible. No, said doc, this is a good drug. I want you to stay on it. I CAN'T. Okay, said he, cut it in half. So I went to 25 mg. I FELT GREAT. For years. Each time I'd go to another doc, which I don't have to tell you is a ridiculous amnt of docs -- I used to NEVER go to anyone but annual OB/GYN for PAP (those were the days!) -- ea doc would ask for a list of all my meds. When I got to Zoloft, they paused and asked for mg. I said 25. They'd pause, put down their pen and stare in to the beyond, saying, You know at that dosage it's probably not working???? I know. You might as well stop it. NO! I FEEL GREAT! We agreed to allow me to delude myself. Only I KNEW I wasn't...

Every one, as you say, is different. NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL. Including, by the by, HGB!!! For ME 13-15 is NORMAL. Others, at 7 feel great. I collapse below 11!!!
Those NORMAL RANGES don't even apply. I fall beyond the *range*. So what??? I'm just saying...
Andi

Old 11-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #28
Joanne S

Interesting, but I really hope we get some more responses----over 400 have read this post alrealy, but only a mere 20 some responses were posted.

As I mentioned previously, I allowed myself to be stressed and depressed for a few years without medication---because I thought I was entitled as my daughter was terminally ill and died. I have been on Zoloft for several years now, too bad for my mental health, I didn't start taking it alot sooner. Good question, was it the severe stress, antidepressants, both or neither that had any effect on my bc.

I certainly hope none of you are too embarassed to admit you were on antidepressants. I am very curious at the possibility of it possibly having effect on BC risk. Thanks for your responses ladies!

Joanne
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #29
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Just Me...

It's just me again. Same message, but different... I do not believe the anti d's cause ca. I believe the toll of the chemical alteration in your bodymind causes T cells to plummet (actually proven in many studies -- linked w/stress, distress, pp out of work, loss of loved one, etc.). This leaves your immune system not in good fighting position and open/prone to infection and malfunction/dysfunction. Ca is out of control cells run amok, w/no NKs (natural killers) around to hold them off. Joanne, please read Leslie's fab links. Read my post in this thread re this. Step back. Become The Witness. The Observer. Change your perspective a bit, from a distance. It is an astounding realization that can EMPOWER you and change your life forever...

I haven't adequate words to say how sorry I am that you lost a daughter. As I first read your words something clutched at my heart and choked it. I gasped. How utterly devastating such an experience has to be. Can you ever recover? Surely Zoloft and the like will assist you in getting your footing and embracing Life with gusto, as I have no doubt, your daughter wishes for you. You will put your arms around her again. For now, live for her, in memory of her, as a tribute to her. That is the best you can do. With much loving, healing energy sent from me to you, with my deepest respect for you and all you have had to endure...
Andi

Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #30
weezie1053

I took Paxil for about 3 years starting in 1997. I took myself off as stress in my life lessened. My gyn nurse practioner put me on Lexapro several years later, and then I again weaned myself off. I had been off Lexapro several years when I was diagnosed with BC. I am, once again, on Lexapro. Seems like I had more problems handling the day to day crisis later in my treatment than the earlier stages. As I look back, it was probably due more to fatigue and not being able to juggle 10 balls in the air as everybody was accustomed to me doing.
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #31
Joanne S

Smile Hey Just Me Again...

Bless you Andi!

Oh ---I hate it so much when I type a long thought out response and somehow manage to lose it.

Here's a short version cuz I tired and frustrated now.

Thanks for responding to my post about depression and anti-ds, and for your suggested reading. I will read them. What enthusiasm you have!

I can relate to your dosage amount. When I started taking Zoloft many years ago, I could only handle 1/8 of the smallest dosage. During some of life's chuck holes, my brother's leg amputation....I've had to up it to 250 mg. I've been mostly on 100mgs for the duration.

I handled my initial dx of BC very well and had a very positive attitude during the first 9 months. Several of my doctors recommended uping my dosage to 200 mg again to aid with my chest pain and depression from the frustration of dealing with the pain. (Doing better now with the addition of Neurotin and physical therapy.)

Thank you so much for your very kind,compasionate and supporting words.

Wishing you continued improvement and wellness,
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Soccermom

Prozac, Celexa, or Lexapro since 1993 ( PTSD resulting from an assault in 1990) dX 2004 since then Prozac or Cymbalta
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #33
R.B.

Thought provoking.

RB

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/3/1/25

"In a cohort of 380 Australian women, plasma DHA was investigated at 6 months post-partum. Logistic regression analysis indicated that a 1% increase in plasma DHA was associated with a 59% reduction in the reporting of depressive symptoms [24]. It is well known that during pregnancy there is a significant transfer (up to 2.2 g/day) EFAs to the developing fetus [7]. Increased risk of post-partum depressive symptoms has recently been associated with a slower normalization of DHA levels after pregnancy [25]."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #34
Carol H.

Don't remind me....

This brought back memories of my awful panic attacks that I was having 10 years ago. Celexa worked great for two years and then I had to switch to paxil 10mg. I have been on the paxil for 8 yrs now and I'm afraid to stop taking it of fear I will fall back into a deep dark hole again. Just think, not that many years ago without anti-depressants we would have been put in mental hospitals. No matter what, I'm not giving up my pills, I like being normal and happy. Carol H.
Infiltrating Carcinoma
Stage 1
Grade 11
1.5 cm
Sentinel Lymph Node Neg.
ER-
PR-
Her2+
Fish 2.5 Amplied
KI-67 20%
Radiation= 6 weeks
Refused Chemo & Herceptin
Carol H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #35
dhealey

I have never been on any type of antidepressant before or during treatment. I try to handle my stress through exercise. Walking, light weight lifting, yoga, pilates. This approach seems to work for me. I often wondered if the 7 years I took birth control pills had anything to do with my breast cancer particularly since I am ER/PR positive. My mother also took birth control pills for about 7 years. She also was ER/PR positive.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote