HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
Staci

My Story - Staci

In May of 2001 at age 31 " I was dx'd with medullary breast cancer with one lymph node ""grossly"" involved (1.5 cm! Did you know a lymph node could get that big?)and 7 positive for micro-mets. ER/PR- and Her2 neu. I had a modified radical mastectomy and completed 6 rounds of FEC followed by 4 rounds of Taxotere and 35 days of radiation. I grew back my hair" straightened my hair (6 times!!!!) got a beautiful new breast thanks to lat. flap reconstruction and had a CA 27-29 of 10. Life was good! This summer I took my 5 year old daughter on a cruise to celebrate. Whammmmmmmmmm! In Aug. '03 my oncologist retired and I was forced to find a new one. My CA was 21 but still in the normal range and my labs were perfect. Life was still good and I felt great. My new onc. thought I should do a PET scan becuase I had not be scanned in almost two years. That routine scan picked up 4mm and 17 mm lesions on liver. The dreaded METS had arrived! I had both spots removed with radio frequency ablation (RFA) in Sept. '03 and completed 4 rounds of Adriamycin (aka: the red devil) and 4 rounds of Taxol. From Sept - Dec. I had a PET Scan 2 bones scans and 5 CT scans. No I do not glow in the dark....yet! Thanks to modern medine great doctors and my Lord I have NED. I have elected to go for the extreme pro-active measure of stem cell transplant. This will start in Feb. I know the stats may not be on my side but God is. I WILL live to watch my daughter graduate from high school. Even though I am HER2 neg I love this board and the hope it gives me. I don't believe that God gave me this disease but I do believe he is helping me use this experience to make a difference in the lives of others and to let others make a difference in mine. I never knew I could be so strong......and unmodest! May the Lord bless and keep you all safe.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
Staci

I read you are having issues about reconstruction. I did a Latissimus Flap instead of TRAM. It is a much easier procedure and the result were great. You might want to look into it. My prayers are with you. Stay strong and keep fighting.