HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
sassy

FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer

From: Research To Practice [mailto:education@researchtopractice.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:00

Proceedings from a satellite symposium held in Chicago (June 2, 2014). Faculty, from left: Fabrice André, MD, PhD, Edith A Perez, MD, Harold J Burstein, MD, PhD, Kimberly L Blackwell, MD and Mark D Pegram, MD.

Breast cancer is undoubtedly the highest-profile and most popular topic in contemporary cancer medicine, and research investment in this disease far outpaces even its closest oncologic competitors. Because of this, a plethora of new information is constantly emerging, helping to improve our collective understanding and to refine state-of-the-art disease management. Interestingly, despite the fact that more than 60% of all breast cancer patients present with hormone-sensitive disease, it seems as if almost every month we are faced with a new critical data set that affects the care of the 20% or so with HER2-driven breast cancer.

Watch proceedings from the event
To explore the most significant recent therapeutic advances in this important patient subset and document how this information has helped to refine current treatment and ongoing research, we recently hosted a specially designed satellite symposium. Prior to the meeting, we consulted with 5 general medical oncologists to identify actual cases from their practices in which new research data contributed to their clinical decision-making for patients with early and advanced HER2-positive breast cancer. At the meeting, we invited each of our renowned faculty members to discuss how they would have approached these clinical situations and to informally comment from the podium on key related recent publications. The result was a dynamic and engaging symposium that provided in-depth and thoughtful perspectives on the nuanced management of HER2-positive disease.

As is always the case, only a small fraction of our national and international audience was actually on hand in Chicago, so to make this content available to everyone we are now posting the virtual video proceedings, along with all of the slides presented at the event.

Neil Love, MD
Research To Practice
Miami, Florida

Research To Practice is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.

Research To Practice designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

This activity is supported by an educational grant from Genentech BioOncology.

Research To Practice | 2 South Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 3600 | Miami, FL 33131
Unsubscribe from all communications | Manage subscription

Link to discussion:

http://www.researchtopractice.com/AS...%20the%20event
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer

Excellent info! Thanks for sharing, Sassy.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
knmtwins

WOW - who knew I could have had Perjetta post surgery for a 2cm+ Stage 2 tumor. If I'd known that, I would have had this cancer cut out in June. I was told to get Perjetta, I had to do neoadjuvant.
Now, where do I find info specifically on triple positive. Also, I never hear anything about what they do about the Progestrene positive.
6/4/14 Dx IDC 1.5cm
6/5/14 ER+ PR+
6/6/14 met breast surgeon
6/10/14 chest X-ray, clear; blood panel, clear
6/12/14 MRI - now sized at 2-3cm
6/11/14 HER2 overexpression
6/19/14 Saw plastic surgeon, will do skin sparing
6/26/14 BRACA new 2014 guidelines BRACA can be run for adopted
6/20 - 7/7 Lots of different ideas, saw 3 oncologists, changed from mastectomy to Neoadjuvant chemo. with Perjetta
7/16/14 Chemo Cycle 1 of 6; TCHP
12/2/2014 Skin sparing BMx, with TEs, SNB
knmtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
'lizbeth

I feel I must address this. This statement above does a huge discredit to the significance of Her2 positive breast cancer. Especially to the uneducated public.

Quote:
Interestingly, despite the fact that more than 60% of all breast cancer patients present with hormone-sensitive disease, it seems as if almost every month we are faced with a new critical data set that affects the care of the 20% or so with HER2-driven breast cancer.
The truth is the majority of the ER positive breast cancers are very manageable. Some of the ER positive cancer patients and some of the Her2 cancer patients need this vital research to give them the same opportunity of survival and quality of life that the more fortunate enjoy.

I strongly feel that a large portion of finding cures for everyone with cancer is changing the filter in which those benefit from the huge influx of money to find a cure.

The 20 percent number is misleading. The true number of patients that have cancers with Her2 is much much higher. The 20 percent is only those that test with Her2 3+.

Only these 3+, which are us on the board, are eligible for Her2 treatments outside of clinical trials.

That statement is really revealing.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 10-26-2014 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote