HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
bejuce

Finding Little Comfort in the Statistics of Survival

Has anyone read this article? These numbers seem so low!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
emmastarr

Re: Finding Little Comfort in the Statistics of Survival

I agree, those stats aren't very encouraging at all.
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation To hell with the statistics..!!!

When I was diagnosed in '95 -- 4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma, w/2 out of 21 nodes involved -- I bought lots of books on the subject, to edify myself.

Dismal. Depressing even. I quickly tossed them aside.

I reached instead for books sold in the SPIRITUALITY section, where I'd never ventured before.

I learned to also check out the PSYCHOLOGY section in the stores.

I KNEW I was a person. A sentient being. Not a statistic. Not a number.

I already KNEW about the mindbody connection. I had personally experienced healing a years long debilitating back problem (diagnosed as a degenerating disc disease). I was set free from the pain by learning how to correlate the moments of extreme agony w/what I was thinking at the time. Just that knowledge set me free! Within 2 wks, w/no other intervention.

I have learned that if one person has survived you particular cancer -- YOU too can survive. Who are those people in that little group of survivors? Where they just lucky? I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT. They were the most passionate, focused people who rejected negative thinking and concentrated all their energy on HEALING, being in that little group, vividly seeing themselves as a Survivor, making their Intention and Expectation definitively clear!! The power of our thoughts, our Intention and our Expectation is awesome.

You were given the gift of healing, of using your thoughts and the images that go with them to acquire your deepest desires. What you want already exists -- in the Spiritual Realm. Call it to you!

KNOW you are going to Survive, against all odds! Own that. BELIEVE!

We are each miraculously empowered! Use your God-given birthright. It's been there since you drew your first breath in this world (the Physical Plane). Draw your dreams to you!

With pure, loving, healing energy being sent your way my Sisters...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Vicky

Andi, thanks for the enlightening and uplifting message! I refuse to look at stats anymore and fortunately I have a doctor who says "prove me wrong." I would love to hear of some of the books you would recommend regarding both spirituality and psychology! I too feel it is up to me to figure out how to best help my mind, body, spirit heal in conjunction with traditional treatment. I am completely open to suggestions if you wouldn't mind! Thank you!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
StephN

That article has some interest as a personal story, but since there is no mention of the NAME of the book referred to, I have to believe that it is not a serious textbook and any stats on breast cancer have not been updated in years!

Wad up that information and throw it over you shoulder. Do not look back.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Books i've read and loved

Great advice Steph! As always. Vicky, I'm often asked what books I would recommend. So I have a list. And it is my honor to share them with you and all who may be interested.

BTW, I've proved the oncs wrong. I have become their miracle patient. And the nurses' as well. EVERY THOUGHT IS A PRAYER. EVERY PRAYER IS A POTENTIAL MIRACLE.

YOU ARE FAR BRAVER AND MORE COURAGEOUS THAN YOU EVER THOUGHT. YOU ARE AN EMPOWERED SPIRIT, I SWEAR...!

I started with Dr. Mitchell Gaynor's (Integrative Oncologist in Manhattan) HEALING ESSENCE, but I believe you have to call his office to order it, if it is even still available. 212 - 472 - 2828
From the moment I read the first page -- I KNEW I would live!

Then I fell in love w/Dr. Wayne Dyer...
Your Sacred Self
You'll Believe It When You See It
Wisdom of the Ages
The Power of Intention
There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
Manifest Your Destiny
The Nine Principles of Getting Everything You Want
Secrets of Your Own Healing Power

Eckhart Tolle:
A New Earth
The Power of Now

The Travelers Gift -- Andy Andrews
Seat of the Soul -- Gary Zucav

Healing Words -- Caryn Goldman

Kitchen Table Wisdom -- Rachel Naomi Remen

Dr. Larry Dossy:
Healing Words
Healing Beyond the Body
Reinventing Medicine
Recovering the Soul

May these authors words inspire you as they have me. I read with a red pen in hand, underlining, starring. I see them s tomes of wisdom...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Kellennea

Andi -

I absolutely *LOVE* your attitude!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Vicky

Thank you Andi! Ohhh, I am thrilled with this list and I have read about 1/4 of them already but am also ready to tackle more!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Smile Re: Finding Little Comfort in the Statistics of Survival

WHAT'S SO COOL is that if you reread a book years later, you find things you missed, see things you saw before in fresh light.

We are meant to keep evolving. Continue exploring, growing and expanding.

I would never have volunteered to get breast canser, but I am richer for the experience. I am so much more than I was. I am on a path I would never have considered, had the bc not enveloped me.

The sky is bluer. The trees are more alive. I have found that I am a Spirit, with a mind and a body. Never figured that out before...

Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
CoolBreeze

What bugs me about that is a Doctor wrote it. Her statistics are not correct and are dated and yet she used them to scare people. Not cool.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Debbie L.

Bejuice, I do know what you're saying, while feeling like I've mostly moved on from that place. I, too, was nearly-obsessive about looking for stats to give me answers to what would happen to me, in those first years. But over time, I realized that wasn't helping me to live my life. In the beginning, understanding at least something about my prognosis seemed like it WOULD help me. But that was because that understanding seemed to offer me a bit of the precious thing that I'd lost -- my illusion that I had some control over the length of my life. Not that I realized all that, at the time (smile).

There are probably as many ways to come at this major issue, as there are people who face it (the issue being mortality, so that would be all of us, who eventually face it).

As we say so often here -- there is no right nor wrong, no single way that is best -- for us to look at this. It is to each of us to find the way that best suits us. And since I have not yet seen expression of MY way in this thread, I add another perspective. Not necessarily your truth (which is normal, and okay). But my truth:

I think the whole area of "positive thinking", as it relates to controlling cancer progression, is magical thinking. It does not help me at all, to think that if I (somehow!) control my thoughts, I can affect cancer. (disclaimer: my attitude can do good things for my life in other ways, and I do appreciate those days and moments when I'm in possession of that heart-felt positivity.)

So I do not meant to say that I do not take many "positive" messages from the cancer experience. For me, an immensely positive take from this experience has been the realization that the future is uncertain. Big duh, I know. But if we really think about that, about how very true it is -- we can take it as bad news, and wring our hands in worry. Or we can take it as a sharp prod, to look at what we're doing right now. Right now, we are here, we are alive. THIS, right now -- that's what counts. We have so little control over the future, in ways cancer-specific, and not-cancer-specific.

That live-in-the-now concept was more-easily incorporated into my life in those first few years after diagnosis. A serious diagnosis does narrow the focus and the sense of urgency. Now (10 years out), I have to remind myself repeatedly of the power of that message. But every time I visit that message, I am able to let go all those relatively-unimportant details of life, and to bring my focus, RIGHT IN THIS MOMENT -- to what is important. Because I acknowledge that I might die tomorrow, I savor today. I no longer seek reassurances that I will survive cancer (or life) if only I think the "right" thoughts or do the "right" things. And that is what works for me.

Warm regards,
Debbie Laxague
PS: to clarify again, I do not submit this as an argument that this the only, nor the "right" perspective to embrace after a cancer diagnosis. It's just my way, and I post it here in case others need validation for feelings different than what has been expressed so far in this thread.
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Laurel

Guys, I just go on. I just take joy in the simple things of life. For instance, we have a flock of 6 wild turkeys, 5 males, and one female that stroll around the farm. When I drive back the lane and find them nearby I send the window down so I can "chat" with them. I gotta stop because they are becoming tame. Some hunter will plug them if I am not careful.

I talk to cows, and sheep, birds. I delight in trees and tell them how happy they make me. I know it is nutty, but I just am so delighted by nature with all its wonders. I love the weather even when it sucks (ok 15" of rain in one day is scary, but that is due to flooding).

I just don't think I am going to die until I have achieved my goal of being a crazy old cat lady. If I am wrong, well I haven't lost a dang thing by being optimistic and trying to enjoy my days here on earth. If I am wrong then I am thinkin' heaven is gonna be a total gas and I'll enjoy that too!

Yes, I am a true POSITIVE thinker, 'cuz I am believing I am going to slide in under the wire and get behind those pearly gates!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
NEDenise

Talking Re: Finding Little Comfort in the Statistics of Survival

Ladies...
I couldn't agree more with those of you who recommend that we...
focus on the positive!
toss those old statistics away!
know in your heart that you WILL survive!
enjoy every single day, and treasure the beauty around you!

You are absolutely right!! IMHO

My brother loves the quote, "78% of statistics are 90% made up"!
When people, or articles start quoting statistics, I'm trying to train my brain to glaze over, and take me to my happy place.
We are all sooooo different! I really can't believe that any one study has enough women exactly like me, in it...to make the statistics applicable to my prognosis.

My chances of survival are 100%...no matter what someone quotes in an article! (and like Laurel pointed out...I have heaven waiting for me on the other side...so it's a win/win!)

Love and hugs to all of you!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
Mtngrl

Great discussion. My thanks to everyone.

I do think there's a mind/body connection, but I don't think we either give ourselves cancer or cure ourselves solely with prayer/meditation/positive thinking or the like. However, I do think it's quite possible to kill myself with negative thinking, with giving up, with saying "what's the use?" And it certainly can't hurt to harness the power of the mind in service of a physical outcome that we prefer.

Except for one thing. I would hate for anyone who "fails" at that to think she did something wrong or she just didn't want it enough. On top of all the miseries of cancer diagnosis and treatment, cancer patients are supposed to be cheerful and positive. I think the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) pressure to do that comes from society's uneasiness about death and dying. It's almost like I have to pretend I don't have an incurable illness so other people can go on pretending they aren't going to die. I have decided I can do them (and myself) more good by learning how to live as fully as possible.

For me the best balance is to live in the Now as much as possible (thank you, Eckhart Tolle and Jon Kabat-Zinn) and to cultivate an attitude of gratitude, wonder and joy. I realize the latter is helped a great deal by the fact that I don't feel sick. I may have stage 4 cancer but it hasn't affected my body much. The days I do get gloomy or grumpy are usually correlated with some physical complaint. I realize I've been lucky so far in that regard.

For me it's a matter of submitting to and accepting my own mortality and being happy, grateful, joyful and fully human not just in spite of that fact but because of it. It is my creatureliness that makes me who I am. It is this body, this mind, this spirit, this history, this unique expression of creation that is me, myself. Inevitably, mortality is part of it.

Nobody ever gets "done." My "do" list, my "bucket list," my hopes for the future, will be interrupted at some point, even though I will always want more. But I realize I can't let my wanting more blind me to the life I have now. I used to be very driven and goal-oriented. Then I noticed that every time I hit a goal I felt let down. That's because I kept thinking that realizing the goal would make me happy, and it never did. Then I figured out that happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got. Happiness is what happens. I know a lot of people who don't have any obvious problems but who are miserable. And I have known people with incredibly bad luck and heartbreaking physical ailments and deformities who simply radiate love and joy. "I would be happy if _____ [fill in the blank]" is simply never true.

The Psalms often talk about the "sacrifice of thanksgiving." For me, the key to happiness and wholeness is to Be Here Now and be thankful--to radically accept my situation and quit wishing it weren't so or imagining that if I were in charge of my fate I'd design a better one. My ultimate destiny was set the day I took my first breath. It is certain that someday I'll take my last breath. OK, so now what?

I listen to guided imagery for healing. (As I said, if figure it couldn't hurt.) When I first heard one of the affirmations, when I was newly diagnosed and still freaked out, it was quite off-putting. But now I love it. It says something like, "More and more, I know that I can heal myself and live or I can heal myself and die. My wholeness is not determined by my physical condition."

I am whole, healed, accepted, loved and perfect in my imperfection, in my finitude, in my fragility, in my humanity. There's really nothing to be afraid of, and there's everything to gain from seizing the moment and loving it as completely as I can. The present moment isn't much, it's just all we have. It's all anyone has.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
NEDenise

Amy,
Beautifully eloquent, as ever. Well said!
Thanks for sharing your deep insights about your journey.
God bless!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
StephN

Nice to hear some of your philosophies so well stated.

MTN - I also listened to the same positive affirmations tape, and since I was given such a dire prognosis with raging liver mets, etc., I needed to hear those words you quoted. They helped me get my head into a better place and quell some of the doubt that raced through me at my stage IV diagnosis. I did not have long to live in limbo wondering if my cancer would strike again.

It was bewildering to me how my body could just ignore a year of surgeries, chemo and radiation and let my cancer just have its own way so quickly. My stage IV was dumped on me like a ton of bricks. Just that fast, as I thought I was feeling quite well!

Whatever those nightly bedtime tapes did for my mind-body connection, it was my mental state that needed calming and that was achieved.

I was not yet in a place where reading would have done me any good, and I could not concentrate anyway. My energy was going toward sending the chemo to those too-numerous-to-count mets.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
StephN

I am also with lauren in appreciating every little thing Mother Nature puts in my path. My hubby thinks I am a little strange to talk to the neighbor cats through the windows! But they do stop and look at me - make eye contact.

My bird baths have to be full of clean water and I take the leaves out so the birds can splash around. The feeders have to have fresh food, so if all this puts me in the crazy cat lady category in some eyes, so be it! I am not the only being in this world, and I try to share my environment with whatever other creatures enter it. (Except the birds who eat too many blueberries off my bushes - I do shoo some of those away!)

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
AlaskaAngel

Perspectives

Points of view differ emotionally depending on where one is standing (basically, NED from the get-go vs local recurrence-to-NED vs metastatic).

One does whatever one thinks is "worth it" to stay on the right side of the numbers versus what is not worth it, in making the most of the present. People make different choices in drawing that very personal line.

Recognize and give yourself credit for what things you are doing that tend to help (not smoking; exercising daily; making choices about diet; etc.) Remember that the scary percentages include the people who can't or don't make those efforts in general.

Even though numbers are scary, I believe they do encourage people to take stock of what is most important to them and actually get a "round tuit" in taking practical steps to be sure they don't leave behind difficulties for those they care a lot about.

-AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Mtngrl

Debbie--I cribbed from you--or riffed on what you said. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Steph, Vicky, Andi, Denise, Laurel, AlaskaAngel and everyone else, I am so thankful for all of you. I appreciate you taking the time to give your perspectives.

In Anticancer; A New Way of Life the author tells a touching story of counseling a man with a brain tumor. The patient was an alcoholic "loser." The author (David Servan-Schreiber) figured out from talking to the man that the big issue was he had never done anything worthwhile. The doctor asked if there was something he could do in the time he had left to be of use to someone else. The man decided to install an air conditioning system for a church in his neighborhood. He went to work every day and got up on the roof of the church. Parishioners got to know him. They'd bring him sandwiches or coffee, and they'd talk to him. About six months later, on the verge of death, the man said to his doctor, "God bless you for saving my life."

David Servan-Schreiber lived with brain cancer for 19 years, and finally died from it last July. His book is both about ways we can help our bodies fight cancer and ways we can live well in however much time we have. That's what I love about using diet to shoot for optimal health. I think fruits, vegetables, whole grains, herbs and spices are delightful. I love to cook, and I love to eat good food. Even if it doesn't make a bit of difference in how long I live, the pleasure is a good thing in itself.

That's what I mean about balance. Be prudent. Make wise choices. "Do not go gentle into that good night," but don't forget to live while you're at it. Remember to stop and smell the roses, and talk to the turkeys, and feed the birds, and dance under the stars. It looks like we can all agree about that.

While we're on the subject of statistics, I also learned from Servan-Schreiber's book about a great essay that Stephen Jay Gould wrote about median survival statistics. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma, which had a median survival rate of 8 months. He lived another 20 years, and died from a different kind of cancer. Take a look at what he had to say about that: http://www.phoenix5.org/articles/GouldMessage.html

Peace,
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
bejuce

Thank you so much for all your perspectives! I've been reflecting on them when I can and all of your thoughts and experiences have helped me with my fears this week, and most importantly, have given me a new strength and inspiration to keep moving on with my life and enjoying every minute without fear.

You are truly amazing and I am honored to be a part of this community.

Love,

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote