HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
AlaskaAngel

Question Changes and ?maybe? loss of estrogen?

For the first time in 10 years I made my favorite omelette this morning, which I have not made since before being treated for cancer. It consists of egg (of course), small bits of sauteed green onion and mushroom made with the egg, wrapped over fresh tomato slices, fresh avocado slices, bits of bacon, and sour cream. It is something I used to make at least once a month for us, and especially enjoyed. I haven't made it in years because I am primarily vegetarian now.

I was amazed. None of it had any flavor except the bacon sort of did. With the gradual changes due to loss of estrogen, I hadn't realized just how extremely different so many things are now. I wonder if that is why I have less reaction to other things that used to be more intense and motivating!
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Mtngrl

Re: Changes and ?maybe? loss of estrogen?

Not being able to taste that fabulous omelette must have been disappointing. I'm sorry that happened.

What makes you think it's due to drops in hormones? You're exceptionally well-informed, so I trust you know what you're talking about. I'm just curious.

Things do get to be different, don't they? I don't have any answers. I just thought I'd chime in and commiserate.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

I'm not sure what the cause is for it.

I know that the overall lubrication from top to bottom lessened quite obviously immediately for me upon chemopause (skin drier, hair drier, eyes drier, ear wax less, vagina drier, etc.) My thought is that the taste buds also became less able to conduct taste for the same reason, just by being drier from the loss of the estrogenic lubrication. I wondered how common it might be, or not, for others.

A.A.
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Jackie07

Interesting observation! And the abstract below confirms it...

Arch Histol Cytol. 2007 Nov;70(4):215-24.
Immunohistochemical identification of cells expressing steroidogenic enzymes cytochrome P450scc and P450 aromatase in taste buds of rat circumvallate papillae.

Toyoshima K, Seta Y, Toyono T, Kataoka S.
Source

Division of Oral Histology and Neurobiology, Department of Biosciences, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan. kuni-t@kyu-dent.ac.jp

Abstract

The present study demonstrated for the first time the localizations and patterns of expression of key enzymes for steroidogenesis, cytochrome P450 side-chain-cleavage (P450scc), and P450 aromatase in the taste buds of rat circumvallate papillae, using immunoblot analyses and immunohistochemistry. Immunoblot analyses showed that proteins with a molecular weight close to that of rat adrenal cytochrome P450scc and a molecular weight close to that of rat ovary cytochrome P450 aromatase were present in the rat circumvallate papillae. In immunohistochemistry, antibodies against cytochrome P450scc and P450 aromatase yielded the labelings of a subset of taste bud cells. In the double immunolabeling of P450scc and alpha-gustducin or phospholipase C beta2(PLCbeta2), which were considered as markers of a majority of type II cells, P450scc was co-expressed in a subset of alpha-gustducin or PLCbeta2, but did not co-express neural adhesion molecule (NCAM), a marker of major type III cells. Further double immunolabeled studies showed that P450 aromatase was co-expressed in a subset of alpha-gustducin or PLCbeta2, but did not co-express PGP9.5, a marker of a majority of type III cells. The selective localization of cytochrome P450scc and P450 aromatase strongly suggests that estrogen biosynthesis from cholesterol might occur in a subset of type II cells of the rat taste buds. Although the full significance of estrogen in the taste bud function is not yet understand, estrogen appears to be an important regulator of taste transduction, as is the case with ATP (Finger et al., 2005), which further supports the centrality of taste cells in the life of taste buds.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-25-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

Red face Re: Changes and ?maybe? loss of estrogen?

Thanks Jackie07 and MtnGirl!

It is good to have more understanding of what may be involved with treatment, so that we can be better prepared and make choices more honestly, especially with treatment that has no guarantee of working on an individual basis. Especially now that adjuvant treatment is becoming so prevalent.

I still have some ability to taste, although it is pretty generally minimal. (And I certainly haven't found that it caused me to stop eating!)

A.A.
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED
Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
rhondalea

It may not be the estrogen, AA.

Since starting the metformin trial, my side effects have been pretty mild--just obvious enough to make clear to me (and to my endocrinologist) that I didn't get the placebo, but not so much that I've been inconvenienced. (Admittedly, the bloat sometimes makes it hard to get motivated, but it passes.)

One not so great effect (for me) is a loss of appetite--I had been eating at least 2100 calories/day (and maintaining my post-chemo weight), but now it's an effort to manage 1500 (and in the last two days, only 1300). I got a little worried about that--I have issues with hypoglycemia--so last night I made one of my favorite dinners--salmon and fettucine alfredo with broccoli. It should've been tasty, but I felt like I was eating cardboard. I did manage to get it all down, but only because I felt I needed the calories.

I love food. Well, I used to love food, but now everything either tastes a little off or it doesn't taste at all. I'm just guessing this is one of the reasons many lose weight while taking metformin. Most people eat pretty mindlessly, but for those who savor their food, the difference would be remarkably apparent.

With that said, estrogen does effect one's taste buds, so that too is possible. It just seems that metformin is a more likely culprit.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote