HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
lizm100

Hi all-
this is a very confusing and not a thorough study but the discussion is getting interesting. There deifinitely need to be more studies regarding chemo/Herceptin starting at stage T1mic which is what I was. According to my pathology report, I had DCIS with a "focus" of less then 1mm in its greatest dimension of a microninvasion. I was told by all of my doctors I am very uncommon since most of the time the earliest detected Her+++ breast cancer falls atleast into stage T1a or T1b. One of my oncologists was in disbelief and had my slide recut to be sure the staging was correct and it was. I've heard of trials with DCIS and stage T1b but nothing for Stage T1mic. Has anyone heard of Chemo/Herceptin trials including stage T1Mic?
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
RobinP

Harrie,

I Checked Adjuvant Online The Other Day Again And Did Not See The Her2 Data. Maybe I Should Look Again. ANYWAY, THANKS FOR THE POST AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
Petesmom

Smile

My tumor was 7mm, ER/PR+ Her+++ no nodes stage 1, grade 2. This was in 2005. I had a mastectomy (I was first diagnosed at 45 years with bc in the same breast with a tumor 8mm, ER/PR +, Her2 -, no nodes, stage 1 grade 2 in 1998). I had lumpectomy, rads, Toremifan for 5yrs in 1998). When I had the recurrence in 2005 my onc didn't think I should have chemo just to get Herceptin because he said the risks of the side effects outweighed the benefits. At that time, he would not give me Herceptin without chemo. He plugged my stats into the Adjuvent model and came up with a fairly low risk of recurrence and mortality but, he wasn't able to plug in the Her2 factor so we discussed the fact that my situation and that of women like me fall into a gray area. I also had my ovaries removed so that I could take Arimidex. I am 3 and 1/2 years out and doing well. I would really like to see more studies on women like us who have relatively small tumors but are Her+++. I had to carefully consider the information that I got and the advice of my onc and hope that I made the right decision. This is a tough call and the treatment options don't jump out like they do for larger tumors with other adverse biomarkers. I am consistenly amazed at how knowledgeable we BC survivors must be in order to weigh in on these difficult decisions. What happens to those who don't know to ask more questions? This is very troubling to me. Thank God for this website and all of you. This is where I turned when I had the recurrence and this is where I feel I have gotten the most up-to-date information and assistance with questions.
Blessings and very Happy Holidays to all.
Petesmom

"Treat each day as a new life"

Diagnosis
1998 IDC, 8mm tumor; node neg Her2-; ER/PR + lumpectomy right breast; rads; Fareston for 5 yrs;
2005 recurrence right breast; DCIS with IDC 7mm (total involvement), Her2+++. ER/PR+; simple mast; prophylactic ooph; Arimidex only
NED
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 AM   #24
sarah

Petesmom,
so true, I couldn't manage without this fantastic website and the kind and knowledgeable members on it.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote