HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
3yrsstrong

Period after 3 years?

Hi! I am new to this group, hope I am posting in the right place! I have a question: background: dx with stage 2 infiltrating ductal carcinoma, ER +, Her2Neu+, in Aug 2009- finished taxotere, carboplatin (6 rounds) and a year of herceptin. Still on tamoxifen. (For 3 years now) Have not menstruated in >3 years--until today!!!
I am 47, was mestruating normally prior to dx, but chemo stopped it in it tracks. Is it strange that my period has come back after 3 years of none, and while still on tamoxifen?
Thanks!
3yrsstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Becky

Re: Period after 3 years?

This can certainly happen but I would make an appointment to see your gynecologist. Does the menstrual flow seem "normal" or are you spotting etc. I would get it checked out just to be sure (I am not saying this to worry you in the least). I am assuming you have been seeing your gyn on a regular basis and getting an ultrasound that measures the uterine lining thickness since you have been on Tamoxifen. This is very important since Tamoxifen can affect the uterine lining.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
3yrsstrong

Thank! Yes I have been seeng my gyn regularly, but she has never done a ultrasound to measure the uterine lining, hmmm. I do have an appointment with her-next week, maybe I will call to see if I can see her sooner. Yes it seems like a regular period, and even a little cramping. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
kristen50

Hi,
I too started my period after several years out from chemo. It came back a few times and I was on tamoxifen at the time. Since I was on tamoxifen my gyn had me in every six months, which may have been overkill to some but she called them tamoxifen checks and within that time I had several ultrasounds and even a couple of D&C's because bleeding or cysts which she wanted to keep in check! Nothing ever came from them and all was well. But, it did take several more years before I finally became post menopausal!
Kristen
kristen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Kellennea

I say get it checked. I started bleeding on Tamoxifen and ended up having to have a full blown abdominal exploratory hysterectomy. Always better to be safe!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
3yrsstrong

Thank you all for your posts and information. I just got off the phone with my gyn's nurse, and scheduled an earlier appointment with the gyn and an ultrasound, Tuesday morning. I do remember my oncologist saying my menstral cycles could possibly come back, since I was premenopausal when I started chemo. So I am not going to worry over the weekend, but feel better to have the gyn check it out and do the ultrasound on Tuesday.
Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
karen z

You have gotten great advice and are on the right track. And, yes, this can happen. And that is why you have been on T rather than an AI.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote