HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #21
Soccermom

Re: Cancelled reconstruction

PS they have done OVER 3000 and will move heaven and earth to accommodate you. That said please keep in mind emergent cases get first priority howvever the Center plans for this and keeps dates/ times available fir such situations.
You will NOT be "bumped" once scheduled
So sorry u have been treated so badly...give NOLA a chance you'll never regret a consult at the very least, I PROMISE!
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
fauxgypsy

Thank you. that makes me feel better. I am going to fax info to them and go from there. They sound wonderful.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
Soccermom

Leslie,sent you a Private message...
The forum on BC.ORG is the reconstruction thread and Subtopic is "NOLA in September" .
http://community.breastcancer.org/fo.../736412?page=1

I would highly recommend ANYONE seeking info on autologous tissue recon check out this thread and PM me if you want to ask any questions,
Warmly,
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
tfabre

I am so sorry and understand your frustration. I had initially tried to have my DIEP flap closer to my home, and after talking with the plastic surgeon for 30 minutes in his office, he finally admitted that it is "Out of his comfot zone". Thank goodness I didn't settle for implants (which he wanted to do), and decided to look further.

I had my Diep flap done in New Orleans with Dr Ali Sadeghi, and what an amazing job he did!!!! Dr. Alan Stolier did the mastectomies. I couldn't be happier!

I know that I do not know all of the circumstances for your surgury, but as a nurse, I do know that this procedure is a very long microsurgery. Not all hospitals (and plastic surgeons) can offer this procedure. It takes ORs equipped for Microsurgery, OR teams (multiple doctors and nurses) that can coordinate their schedules and operating rooms that can be tied up for these lengthy procedures. These may not be things that staff haven't explained completely to you.

You may just need to have a discussion with your surgeon, or his nurse, to better understand. If your gut tells you to find another surgeon....DO IT! Always follow your instincts. Things happen for a reason, most often for the better!

Hang in there!!!!

Found lump...Oh, crap!
Dx 4/29/10
Invasive Poorly Differentiated Ductal Carcinoma. BRCA 1&2 no mutations(although 2 cousins also are HER2+)HMMM....
Stage IIB, G3
ER/PR -, HER2+++
5/11/10 Lumpectomy/Axillary node dissection/Mediport placement
Tumor 3.5cm, 1/15 nodes + Both Sentinel nodes negative!
6/24/10 - Started TCH.
10/14/10 - Finished chemo...yea!!!!!
12/27/10 - PET scan and MRI-NED!!!!!
03/09/11 - Bilateral Mastectomy and reconstruction (DIEP Flap)
03/16/11 - NED! Path report negative!
6/9/11 - Revision of both breasts, and port removed. Two lumps removed...both benign!
6/23/09 - LAST HERCEPTIN!!! Wohooooo!

My son Tim and his wife Nicole just had their first born...a son, Brayden...my first Grandchild! My daughter Hanna is working her way through college, and I am so proud! God has blessed me.

Update...as of 10/2013...still NED, and my son and daughter-in-law just had identical twin girls!!! They have blessed me with 3 beautiful grandchildren in 27 months!! Haha!
My beautiful daughter, Hanna, is still working toward her degree and working full-time.

God is so good:)
tfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
alicem

I also had DIEP surgery, but in Houston. If for some reason NOLA does not work out, I would highly recommend Dr. Aldona Spiegel. This is the only type of surgery that she does and she has done thousands by now. Her staff is excellent and she hand picks the surgical nurses as well as the nurses that care for her patients while in the hospital. If they don't meet up to her standards they are gone. She has a wonderful website that describes the procedure in depth along with before and after pictures:

www.breastrestoration.org

Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
fauxgypsy

I am still up in the air about this surgery. I had it scheduled for last summer in San Antonio but due to an illness in the spring I cancelled it. I am still considering it. I remember Denise saying that she wouldn't have had two surgeries. Has anyone here had delayed reconstruction (DIEP)? I am in my late fifties and I was wondering has anyone undergone this procedure who is my age. I really hate wearing a prosthesis.
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
jellybean

I also would concur with the NOLA recommendation. I didn't end up having a Diep, but my research indicated that, if I wanted a Diep, they were the best in the country. I even spoke with a woman who wrote a book on breast reconstruction, and she said they were the best.

Maybe they can fit you in this summer. I hope you can make it work. You are better off with someon who has done a lot of Dieps, like the Nola surgeons, as this is a tricky operation.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
fauxgypsy

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
BonnieR

I may be way out of line here but I am sensing a lot of uncertainty. For a lot of different reasons you have not been able to have this procedure yet. I just feel uneasy. Like the roadblocks had a purpose. The surgery sounds daunting! I noticed that I posted quite a while back a saying of my husband. "Sometimes the situation is smarter than we are"
Your last line was about hating to wear a prosthesis. Could that really be the issue that you need to address? Finding a solution to the prosthesis problem? There are always new and better ones being developed. I hope I do not sound negative or inappropriate. Just expressing my reaction. I hope you find the answer
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
Pray

I had a tram flap done 2 years almost 3 years out and it was the best thing I ever did in this roller coaster cancer ride. Gods blessings to you my friend
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #31
fauxgypsy

I wasn't here for a while but I do appreciate all the comments and advice.