HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Lani

for those with brain mets (and those scared of developing brain metastases)

a most remarkable article--I felt it inappropriate to place it with interesting articles as only one tenth as many her2support readers view those posts and it is my impression that there are some out there who could definitely need this news, published in a very respectable journal

I was happy to see an email address attached to the abstract and have forwarded on more information...

1: J Neurooncol. 2006 Sep 26; [Epub ahead of print] Links
A lipoxygenase inhibitor in breast cancer brain metastases.

Flavin DF.
Foundation for Collaborative Medicine and Research, 24 Midwood Drive, Greenwich, CT, 06831, USA, Dana_FK@hotmail.com.
The complication of multiple brain metastases in breast cancer patients is a life threatening condition with limited success following standard therapies. The arachidonate lipoxygenase pathway appears to play a role in brain tumor growth as well as inhibition of apoptosis in in-vitro studies. The down regulation of these arachidonate lipoxygenase growth stimulating products therefore appeared to be a worthwile consideration for testing in brain metastases not responding to standard therapy. Boswellia serrata, a lipoxygenase inhibitor was applied for this inhibition. Multiple brain metastases were successfully reversed using this method in a breast cancer patient who had not shown improvement after standard therapy. The results suggest a potential new area of therapy for breast cancer patients with brain metastases that may be useful as an adjuvant to our standard therapy.
PMID: 17001517 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
rosie

Question

My only question is do we have access to this compound and if so how does one get the one used in the study. Is it commercially available. It's always great to read about exciting new things but it's hard if you can't get it. Any ideas?
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
pattyz

Thanks Lani. Saved to desktop and will ask onc this coming Thurs. what he thinks.

pattyz
living with brain mets for four yrs.
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
lucky4x

Super interesting!! I think about it all the time
Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
tousled1

Lani,

You never cease to amaze me with the great information you post on this site.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
heblaj01

This article posted by Lani is most interesting for members of this forum since it deals with metastatic brain cancer from breast.

It appears that Boswella Serrata might also be usefull for primary brain tumors since a phase 2 clinical trial is under preparation:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00243022
Boswellia Serrata Combined With a Low-Fat, Vegan Diet or a Standard Diet Alone in Treating Patients Who Have Undergone Surgery and Radiation Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
HELLO GENENTECH -- Remember me??!!

Lani, you're the best! In 1995 I was diagnosed w/4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma w/ a 9cm tumor and 2 nodes out of 18. Borderline ER. Had mastectomy, tram flap reconstructive surgery. I was 50 yrs. old. Had been going through menopause for 10 yrs. Had my last period 12/90. Arm pain like a too tight tournequet cutting off circulation all the time. Excercises I forced myself to do helped. 4 Adriamycin and 8 CMF. Felt weak and weaker, fluish, clammy, hot flashes (worse than usual) and chills (totally new), dizzy, spacey, shaky. Thought I was done.

'98 multiple liver mets (w/a very very slightly elevated liver enzyme count found every 3 mnths for 6 mnths that all docs told me not to worry about). I finally said I was worried. Could I have a liver sonogram? Radiologist apologized, but had to send me for CT scan. Wasn't sure what he was looking at. After CT, liver biopsy. Now I asked to be tested for HER-2 gene, which my husband and I had been keeping up on, staying as well informed as possible, beyond every 6 month breast surgeon's checkups and onc visits. 80% +. (An isolated gene they have found is responsible for 20% of breast cancer. Don't know what causes most BC.) It was Aug. Herceptin only in clinical trials. I tried to apply. Failed. Too much Adriamycin. Highly aggressive cancer spreading visibly in tests over 4 wks. 3 different suggestions for protocol. I went w/the one they then called the most aggressive tool in their arsenal, Taxotere. They called it the "freight train drug". (Found out later it is probably so called because you feel like you've been hit by a freight train.) 8 months of that drug. Added Herceptin in Nov. '98 every wk (after fighting off a shingles attack, from lowered immune system). Every 8 wk chest/abd/pelv CT scans showed slow but steady shrinkage of each and every tumor, getting exact measurements each time. Could not continue Taxotere. 24/7 tearing profusely. Dry dry dry everything. Moisturizer, vaseline everywhere. My skin never looked better. My cheeks would sometimes bleed as I washed my face. My nose would bleed for the first half hour of each day. I'd use 1/2 a box of tissues in 30 min. Deep muscle pain in arms and legs. Fingernails turned black and separated from nailbed. Breathless. Had pleural effusion (fluid around lungs) and pericardial effusion (fluid around heart). Shuffled when I walked and stumbling, catching my toe. I held on to someone or something all the time. Foggy-brained and out of it. Could barely gather the strength to talk at times. Slept alot. Or stared at the ceiling. Major nausea (lost 33 pounds, which I found when I returned to being able to eat a normal meal). Do not exercise and know this is contributory. Diarrhea all day, every day. 20 Imodium in a day to try to get control. Living in fear of having an explosion when I was out of the house. Kept an spiritual, inspirational book by the toilet, where I lived mostly. In boredom and desperation I vowed to focus and read 3 pages a day, a tall order for a brain that could hardly think. Found my "essence", at my core. Became spiritually EMPOWERED. Determined to heal my body with every thought I had, every image I could muster. Spent the day on guard against any and all negative, toxic ideas that tried to rule and ruin my life. Rewrote my internal dialogue! Punctuated with visions. Came out with joy, harmony, gratitude for my many blessings and awe at the beauty of the world. Opened myself to become a vessel of LOVE. Sounds dramatic, but actually worked. Infinite, pure, unconditional Universal LOVE filled me up with its sacred energy. (I had less than a 15% chance of surviving.) I determined to be among those who survived! Someone has to be in that little group! Why not me?

Been on Herceptin wkly from 11/98 - 1/01, then switched to triple the dosage every 3 wks. Off Taxotere since Memorial Day (end of May) '99, relying only on Herceptin. I have personally seen Drs. Dennis Slamon and Mark Pegram and hugged them and thanked them for saving my life. It was the most joyful of experiences. Those words -- THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE are packed full of such overwhelming love and appreciation, are so rarely used, they rock your world. The docs too were overjoyed. What greater gift than to meet someone who is alive because of your efforts?!

Now, some yrs ago when I called the above Docs, the UCLA Medical Research Department, Genentech and every national cancer association in the country -- to gather info re staying on Herceptin longterm -- every one returned my call within hours. The same day. Genentech asked for my name. Couldn't find me in their computer. Said, Are you sure you're on Herceptin? Yes. That's impossible. We have everyone's name who is on the drug. I assured the young man of the accuracy of my statement. Then he asked -- Where are you getting this from? From my Doctor! (Did he think I was buying it illegally off the strett?!) AND NO -- GENENTECH HAS NEVER CONTACTED ME SINCE RE ANYTHING. I know "the look" when I mention my side effects. Not in the literature, never heard of that... I check w/others in the chemo room and found a woman in Calif who has been on Herceptin since '95, in the initial clinical trials at UCLA. She has BC into the liver as well and looks beautiful. I am told I look beautiful. You'd never know. Makeup, fussing w/what has grown back on my head, earrings and some gauchos or capris and a nice top work.

I had extrememly thick black hair, slightly wavy and a bit on the oily side. Everyone who has ever washed my hair or worked with it at a beauty parlor has always commented -- Wow. You have some head of hair. Well, after the initial grow back (remember I went bald TWICE) I had fried very curly hair, like brillo or straw. The second time, my eyebrows did not return and only half my thick lashes. (People used to ask, Are they real?) My hair is back but way way thinner, especially around my face. My hairline (widow's peak and all) has some fuzz leading to a receding, scalpy reality. I style my hair to curl down over my baldspots.

Now about to mark the end of my 8th year on Herceptin, I will tell you this. Dr. Pegram, a part of the team that developed Herceptin w/Slamon for Genentech told me that as long as I can physically continue to withstand the treatments, as well as emotionally and financially, he can't give me a reason to stop taking it. They simply don't know A LOT. "I" think I'm still here because this is my insulin (the drug that's keeping me going and taming the nasty HER-2 gene). I say I'm going for chemo next Thurs. but I'm thinking I'm going for my monoclonal antibody treatment. I have been moved up to every 3 mnth chest/abd/pelv CT scans and then every 4 mnth and now -- every 6 mnths. I was going for an ECHO every 6 mnths (my EF is at 50, down from 65). If the EF drops below 45 I'm advised to stop for a while. You can always go back on. I'm afraid to miss a single treatment, as I am about not taking my blood pressure meds. They're essential to my health and well-being. I think taking 1/2 a baby aspirin every night (and a whole one on Sundays) is a good anti-clotting measure. I have seen a great oncologist in Manhattan who specializes in nutritional supplements that boost your immune system, that are anti-cancer and free radicals, that boost your heart, teeth and gums. I will give my list to anyone who wants it. WE'RE ALL HERE TO SHARE.

HERCEPTIN SIDE EFFECTS:
...Extremely fatigues (yet glad to be here) and have good, even perky days, inexplicably. I fight it most days. I cave in when I must and treat myself to a day off, as I can.
...Am foggy-headed all the time (do take Ambien and Ativan for insomnia, which friends my age who never were sick have) I believe a good night's sleep is essential to good health. I have read reliable studies that conclude this. And I know how useless I am the day after not getting to sleep until 3:, 4:, or even 5AM.
... Recall of words is a challenge. I am working on writing a book for the last 4 or 5 yrs so I am forced to cope w/this and maybe am even strengthen my brain muscles through overuse. I read and write incessantly (in the middle of the night, in the middle of a movie theater). My thirty something daughters also have this problem. We're all on overload, you know.
...Extrememly dry eyes (which began w/the Taxotere and the constantly tearing eyes). Back then I had to use Refresh+ every single hr. In 2-4 wks my situation improved so I could use this preservative free product first thing in the morning and last thing at night, plus sometimes in the middle of the night. Not blinking when sleeping, which is natural of course, seems to aggravate the condition.
...Very dry nose. Use Vaseline or Ayr gel at night several times. Helps.
...Very dry skin everywhere. Use Curel all over my body twice a day and moisurizers on my face day and night, in my hair with shampoo and after (leave-in) -- gobs of it. My skin is soft, like a baby, and I get compliments on my skin all the time. (I can now exfoliate, removing the dead cells,use toner to take away loosened cells, and massage my face each and every night. And as I say moisturize.) I drink 8-10 glasses of bottled water a day, every day. I use Vitamin E and Omega 3 and Fish Oils -- ingested.
...Had major diarrhea problems all day every day until last Oct. when my NY onc/nurtritionist told me to take Wobenzym N (2 in the A.M., 2 in the P.M.) It has altered my life immeasurably. I am like a normal person.
...Have redness on my upper chest, under the breastbone and on my upper arms. Use moisturizer twice a day. It doesn't itch or change.
...Extremem sensitivity to the sun. Use block.
...Vision problems, blurry, worsening. Wear glasses, not a candidate for contacts. Was yrly increasing perscription, then went 3 yrs without, just had to tweak it a bit.
...No headaches. Do take 2 Benedryl at night, to help sleep and to I'm not sure, prevent allergic reactions. No steroids since off Taxotere (which was the day before and the day of).
...Had high blood pressure before BC. It is under control. Coreg. Vasotec.
...High cholesterol, though I do not eat anything fried or oily, only low fat everything (cheese, dressing, etc.). I DO NOT EAT ANY SUGAR -- since 12/04. I think these foods are "trigger foods" for my IBS like syndrome (Irirital Bowel). I had read a lot on this subject so pertinent to me. I was taking Zocor to get the cholesterol #s good as my body seems to produce it on its own and now have been switched to something new because my trigliceride # was way off.
...I am cheerful (on Zoloft half dosage for a while, now on Effexor), optimisitic, joyful, grateful for my family and friends and the gift of each day
...Hot flashes out of control. The NY onc/nutri guy says I can take Primrose Oil and Black Cohosh, which I do and it helps somewhat. My upper body and head become drenched and I feel like I'm on fire, inside a wet suit that's 3 sizes too small and want to escape my own skin. The Effexor, begun only a few wks ago, is meant to help depression and hot flashes. I believe it is kicking in.
...Swollen ankles and feet. But so did my Aunt Molly and Mom.Am on diuretic for blood pressure and this water retention.
...Bruises that don't go away. Not that they take a long time to heal. They are not sore anymore, but remain as black and blue spots.

After initial diagnosis in '95 was put on Tomoxifen (as a borderline ER person). When the BC metastasized my docs told me to flush the pills down the toilet. I am now officially ER-. This is unusual I am told with a HER-2+ person and especially one w/lobular carcinoma.
By the way, I never had a lump! MY 9 cm tumor could not be seen in mammography. It was a general hardness of my entire breast which alarmed me to the point of moving up my next annual mammog several months. Then all hell broke loose.

LANI -- your unscientific study is a dream come true. I am eager to hear more from all you heroes out there. YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB! Do not give up. Every thought has the power of a prayer. Every prayer is a potential miracle. I am a miracle patient, one nurse told me, amazed to see me again. But I keep popping up. I'm still here. Not perfect, but doing my best. I give ladies a big THUMBS UP for doing a great job.

With love,
ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
HELLO GENENTECH -- Remember me??!!

Lani, you're the best! In 1995 I was diagnosed w/4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma w/ a 9cm tumor and 2 nodes out of 18. Borderline ER. Had mastectomy, tram flap reconstructive surgery. I was 50 yrs. old. Had been going through menopause for 10 yrs. Had my last period 12/90. Arm pain like a too tight tournequet cutting off circulation all the time. Excercises I forced myself to do helped. 4 Adriamycin and 8 CMF. Felt weak and weaker, fluish, clammy, hot flashes (worse than usual) and chills (totally new), dizzy, spacey, shaky. Thought I was done.

'98 multiple liver mets (w/a very very slightly elevated liver enzyme count found every 3 mnths for 6 mnths that all docs told me not to worry about). I finally said I was worried. Could I have a liver sonogram? Radiologist apologized, but had to send me for CT scan. Wasn't sure what he was looking at. After CT, liver biopsy. Now I asked to be tested for HER-2 gene, which my husband and I had been keeping up on, staying as well informed as possible, beyond every 6 month breast surgeon's checkups and onc visits. 80% +. (An isolated gene they have found is responsible for 20% of breast cancer. Don't know what causes most BC.) It was Aug. Herceptin only in clinical trials. I tried to apply. Failed. Too much Adriamycin. Highly aggressive cancer spreading visibly in tests over 4 wks. 3 different suggestions for protocol. I went w/the one they then called the most aggressive tool in their arsenal, Taxotere. They called it the "freight train drug". (Found out later it is probably so called because you feel like you've been hit by a freight train.) 8 months of that drug. Added Herceptin in Nov. '98 every wk (after fighting off a shingles attack, from lowered immune system). Every 8 wk chest/abd/pelv CT scans showed slow but steady shrinkage of each and every tumor, getting exact measurements each time. Could not continue Taxotere. 24/7 tearing profusely. Dry dry dry everything. Moisturizer, vaseline everywhere. My skin never looked better. My cheeks would sometimes bleed as I washed my face. My nose would bleed for the first half hour of each day. I'd use 1/2 a box of tissues in 30 min. Deep muscle pain in arms and legs. Fingernails turned black and separated from nailbed. Breathless. Had pleural effusion (fluid around lungs) and pericardial effusion (fluid around heart). Shuffled when I walked and stumbling, catching my toe. I held on to someone or something all the time. Foggy-brained and out of it. Could barely gather the strength to talk at times. Slept alot. Or stared at the ceiling. Major nausea (lost 33 pounds, which I found when I returned to being able to eat a normal meal). Do not exercise and know this is contributory. Diarrhea all day, every day. 20 Imodium in a day to try to get control. Living in fear of having an explosion when I was out of the house. Kept an spiritual, inspirational book by the toilet, where I lived mostly. In boredom and desperation I vowed to focus and read 3 pages a day, a tall order for a brain that could hardly think. Found my "essence", at my core. Became spiritually EMPOWERED. Determined to heal my body with every thought I had, every image I could muster. Spent the day on guard against any and all negative, toxic ideas that tried to rule and ruin my life. Rewrote my internal dialogue! Punctuated with visions. Came out with joy, harmony, gratitude for my many blessings and awe at the beauty of the world. Opened myself to become a vessel of LOVE. Sounds dramatic, but actually worked. Infinite, pure, unconditional Universal LOVE filled me up with its sacred energy. (I had less than a 15% chance of surviving.) I determined to be among those who survived! Someone has to be in that little group! Why not me?

Been on Herceptin wkly from 11/98 - 1/01, then switched to triple the dosage every 3 wks. Off Taxotere since Memorial Day (end of May) '99, relying only on Herceptin. I have personally seen Drs. Dennis Slamon and Mark Pegram and hugged them and thanked them for saving my life. It was the most joyful of experiences. Those words -- THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE are packed full of such overwhelming love and appreciation, are so rarely used, they rock your world. The docs too were overjoyed. What greater gift than to meet someone who is alive because of your efforts?!

Now, some yrs ago when I called the above Docs, the UCLA Medical Research Department, Genentech and every national cancer association in the country -- to gather info re staying on Herceptin longterm -- every one returned my call within hours. The same day. Genentech asked for my name. Couldn't find me in their computer. Said, Are you sure you're on Herceptin? Yes. That's impossible. We have everyone's name who is on the drug. I assured the young man of the accuracy of my statement. Then he asked -- Where are you getting this from? From my Doctor! (Did he think I was buying it illegally off the strett?!) AND NO -- GENENTECH HAS NEVER CONTACTED ME SINCE RE ANYTHING. I know "the look" when I mention my side effects. Not in the literature, never heard of that... I check w/others in the chemo room and found a woman in Calif who has been on Herceptin since '95, in the initial clinical trials at UCLA. She has BC into the liver as well and looks beautiful. I am told I look beautiful. You'd never know. Makeup, fussing w/what has grown back on my head, earrings and some gauchos or capris and a nice top work.

I had extrememly thick black hair, slightly wavy and a bit on the oily side. Everyone who has ever washed my hair or worked with it at a beauty parlor has always commented -- Wow. You have some head of hair. Well, after the initial grow back (remember I went bald TWICE) I had fried very curly hair, like brillo or straw. The second time, my eyebrows did not return and only half my thick lashes. (People used to ask, Are they real?) My hair is back but way way thinner, especially around my face. My hairline (widow's peak and all) has some fuzz leading to a receding, scalpy reality. I style my hair to curl down over my baldspots.

Now about to mark the end of my 8th year on Herceptin, I will tell you this. Dr. Pegram, a part of the team that developed Herceptin w/Slamon for Genentech told me that as long as I can physically continue to withstand the treatments, as well as emotionally and financially, he can't give me a reason to stop taking it. They simply don't know A LOT. "I" think I'm still here because this is my insulin (the drug that's keeping me going and taming the nasty HER-2 gene). I say I'm going for chemo next Thurs. but I'm thinking I'm going for my monoclonal antibody treatment. I have been moved up to every 3 mnth chest/abd/pelv CT scans and then every 4 mnth and now -- every 6 mnths. I was going for an ECHO every 6 mnths (my EF is at 50, down from 65). If the EF drops below 45 I'm advised to stop for a while. You can always go back on. I'm afraid to miss a single treatment, as I am about not taking my blood pressure meds. They're essential to my health and well-being. I think taking 1/2 a baby aspirin every night (and a whole one on Sundays) is a good anti-clotting measure. I have seen a great oncologist in Manhattan who specializes in nutritional supplements that boost your immune system, that are anti-cancer and free radicals, that boost your heart, teeth and gums. I will give my list to anyone who wants it. WE'RE ALL HERE TO SHARE.

HERCEPTIN SIDE EFFECTS:
...Extremely fatigues (yet glad to be here) and have good, even perky days, inexplicably. I fight it most days. I cave in when I must and treat myself to a day off, as I can.
...Am foggy-headed all the time (do take Ambien and Ativan for insomnia, which friends my age who never were sick have) I believe a good night's sleep is essential to good health. I have read reliable studies that conclude this. And I know how useless I am the day after not getting to sleep until 3:, 4:, or even 5AM.
... Recall of words is a challenge. I am working on writing a book for the last 4 or 5 yrs so I am forced to cope w/this and maybe am even strengthen my brain muscles through overuse. I read and write incessantly (in the middle of the night, in the middle of a movie theater). My thirty something daughters also have this problem. We're all on overload, you know.
...Extrememly dry eyes (which began w/the Taxotere and the constantly tearing eyes). Back then I had to use Refresh+ every single hr. In 2-4 wks my situation improved so I could use this preservative free product first thing in the morning and last thing at night, plus sometimes in the middle of the night. Not blinking when sleeping, which is natural of course, seems to aggravate the condition.
...Very dry nose. Use Vaseline or Ayr gel at night several times. Helps.
...Very dry skin everywhere. Use Curel all over my body twice a day and moisurizers on my face day and night, in my hair with shampoo and after (leave-in) -- gobs of it. My skin is soft, like a baby, and I get compliments on my skin all the time. (I can now exfoliate, removing the dead cells,use toner to take away loosened cells, and massage my face each and every night. And as I say moisturize.) I drink 8-10 glasses of bottled water a day, every day. I use Vitamin E and Omega 3 and Fish Oils -- ingested.
...Had major diarrhea problems all day every day until last Oct. when my NY onc/nurtritionist told me to take Wobenzym N (2 in the A.M., 2 in the P.M.) It has altered my life immeasurably. I am like a normal person.
...Have redness on my upper chest, under the breastbone and on my upper arms. Use moisturizer twice a day. It doesn't itch or change.
...Extremem sensitivity to the sun. Use block.
...Vision problems, blurry, worsening. Wear glasses, not a candidate for contacts. Was yrly increasing perscription, then went 3 yrs without, just had to tweak it a bit.
...No headaches. Do take 2 Benedryl at night, to help sleep and to I'm not sure, prevent allergic reactions. No steroids since off Taxotere (which was the day before and the day of).
...Had high blood pressure before BC. It is under control. Coreg. Vasotec.
...High cholesterol, though I do not eat anything fried or oily, only low fat everything (cheese, dressing, etc.). I DO NOT EAT ANY SUGAR -- since 12/04. I think these foods are "trigger foods" for my IBS like syndrome (Irirital Bowel). I had read a lot on this subject so pertinent to me. I was taking Zocor to get the cholesterol #s good as my body seems to produce it on its own and now have been switched to something new because my trigliceride # was way off.
...I am cheerful (on Zoloft half dosage for a while, now on Effexor), optimisitic, joyful, grateful for my family and friends and the gift of each day
...Hot flashes out of control. The NY onc/nutri guy says I can take Primrose Oil and Black Cohosh, which I do and it helps somewhat. My upper body and head become drenched and I feel like I'm on fire, inside a wet suit that's 3 sizes too small and want to escape my own skin. The Effexor, begun only a few wks ago, is meant to help depression and hot flashes. I believe it is kicking in.
...Swollen ankles and feet. But so did my Aunt Molly and Mom.Am on diuretic for blood pressure and this water retention.
...Bruises that don't go away. Not that they take a long time to heal. They are not sore anymore, but remain as black and blue spots.

After initial diagnosis in '95 was put on Tomoxifen (as a borderline ER person). When the BC metastasized my docs told me to flush the pills down the toilet. I am now officially ER-. This is unusual I am told with a HER-2+ person and especially one w/lobular carcinoma.
By the way, I never had a lump! MY 9 cm tumor could not be seen in mammography. It was a general hardness of my entire breast which alarmed me to the point of moving up my next annual mammog several months. Then all hell broke loose.

LANI -- your unscientific study is a dream come true. I am eager to hear more from all you heroes out there. YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB! Do not give up. Every thought has the power of a prayer. Every prayer is a potential miracle. I am a miracle patient, one nurse told me, amazed to see me again. But I keep popping up. I'm still here. Not perfect, but doing my best. I give ladies a big THUMBS UP for doing a great job.

With love,
ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Susan2

Wow - what a ride you have had. I am very impressed with your courage and persistence.

I wish you the best of everything.
Susan
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
lucky4x

Thumbs up Andi...

You are my hero!"What a ride" like Susan2 said, is right!!

For myself, I keep hoping that Herceptin is something I can take until I die...be it 3 yrs, or 10 yrs.... I just want to stay on it forever.

I too, believe it is the only thing keeping those nasty cells at bay. It is saving my life.

You are a true survivor and an inspiration to many; of that, I am sure.
Keep doing, whatever you are doing. It is obviously working perfectly for you.

Lucky
Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #11
jeff

boswellia

Just a quick note to say that I remember seeing something a couple of years ago about Boswellia on the Sloan Kettering herb site about its antiproliferative and antiinflammatory properties, and since then I have ordered it (with curcumin) for my partner Rachel as part of her daily regimen...

Iherb has a relatively cheap one!

Best to all,
Jeff
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
lucky4x

Thanks Jeff!!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
R.B.

Back to basics.

Here are some links to try and explain where these compounds originate.

Omega six.

Linoleic acid the mother omega SIXES and is found in high quantities in many vegetable oils etc.

I have previously posted links to trials which indicate possible links between high omega six and the profile of brain tumour cells. See Smart Fats A Schmidt

You cannot make omega six you must ingest it, so you have some ability to control the production of these compounds through diet. That simple.

Longer chain omega sixes can be made by the body, and are found in limited amounts in some food.

Omega three balances the effects of omega sixes. Please see the posts on the subject of omega three and six on this site. You can search clicking on "search" above on the purple line.

Dietary intake impacts on the way you express your genes.

Please speak to your doctor about dietary changes. Fats are very powerful.

RB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachidonate

ABSTRACT

"Arachidonic acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Arachidonate)
Jump to: navigation, search

Arachidonic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid with the chemical formula C20H32O2. In physiological literature, it is given the name 20:4(n-6). Its systematic chemical name is all-cis-5,8,11,14-eicosatetraenoic acid and its molecular weight is 304.5. Chemically, arachidonic acid is a carboxylic acid with a 20-carbon chain and four cis double bonds; the first double bond is located at the sixth carbon from the omega end. Some chemistry sources define 'arachidonic acid' to designate any of the eicosatetraenoic acids. However, almost all writings in biology, medicine and nutrition limit the term to all-cis 5,8,11,14-eicosatetraenoic acid.

Arachidonic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid that is present in the phospholipids (especially phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylinositides) of membranes of the body's cells, and is highly enriched in the brain. It is a precursor in the production of eicosanoids: the prostaglandins, thromboxanes, prostacyclin and the leukotrienes (through enzymes including cyclooxygenase, lipoxygenase and peroxidase). The production of these derivatives, and their action in the body, are collectively known as the arachidonic acid cascade; see Essential fatty acid interactions for details.

Arachidonic acid is freed from phospholipid molecule by the enzyme phospholipase A2. It is also involved in cellular signaling as a second messenger.

Arachidonic acid is one of the essential fatty acids required by most mammals. Some mammals lack the ability to—or have a very limited capacity to—convert linoleic acid into arachidonic acid, making it an essential part of their diet. Since little or no arachidonic acid is found in plants, such animals are obligatory carnivores; the cat is a common example."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenti...d_interactions

Essential fatty acid interactions
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The actions of the ω-3 and ω-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs) are best characterized by their interactions; they cannot be understood separately.

For introductory details to this topic, including terminology and ω-3 / ω-6 nomenclature, see the main articles at Essential fatty acid and Eicosanoid.

Arachidonic acid (AA) is a 20-carbon ω-6 essential fatty acid. It sits at the head of the "arachidonic acid cascade" – more than twenty different signalling paths that control a bewildering array of bodily functions, but especially those functions involving inflammation and the central nervous system. (Piomelli, 2000) Most AA in the human body derives from dietary linoleic acid (another essential fatty acid, 18:3 ω-6), which comes both from vegetable oils and animal fats.

In the inflammatory response, two other groups of dietary essential fatty acids form cascades that parallel and compete with the arachidonic acid cascade. EPA (20:5 ω-3) provides the most important competing cascade. It is ingested from oily fish or derived from dietary α linolenic acid found in e.g., flax oil. DGLA (20:3 ω-6) provides a third, less prominent cascade. It derives from dietary GLA (18:3 ω-6) found in, e.g. borage oil. These two parallel cascades soften the inflammatory effects of AA and its products. Low dietary intake of these less inflammatory essential fatty acids, especially the ω-3s, is associated with a variety of inflammation-related diseases.

The usual diet in industrial countries contains much less ω-3 fatty acids than the diet even a century ago, and that diet had much less ω-3 than the diet of early hunter-gatherers. This has been accompanied by increased rates of many diseases – the so-called diseases of civilization – that involve inflammatory processes. There is now very strong evidence (National Institute of Health, 2005) that several of these diseases are ameliorated by increasing dietary ω-3, and good evidence for many others. There is also more preliminary evidence showing that dietary ω-3 can ease symptoms in several psychiatric disorders.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
hmerch

I contacted Dr. Flavin for my mother who has brain mets and she said that Boswellia serrata should be used right away at 800mg 3 times a day.

My understanding from my conversation with her was that those of her patients who are using this had regression of brain mets. She also has a few patients who are met free now for a few years.

This sounds pretty great and I'm going to get this for my mom if her onc allows it, but I am curious if anyone else has used this compound and if so what has been your success?

Thanks,
Hina
hmerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
heblaj01

Caution: possible interaction of Boswellia with some chemo drugs

In checking the pharmacokinetics of Boswellia Serrata I found this article which describes it as an iinhibitor of P450 enzymes which are required in the liver to metabolize some chemo drugs such as Navelbine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=163643 38&dopt=Abstract
Analysis of frankincense from various Boswellia species with inhibitory activity on human drug metabolising cytochrome P450 enzymes using liquid chromatography mass spectrometry after automated on-line extraction.
The abstract does not state if the inhibition is occuring only in he gut or in the liver or both.
If the inhibition is restricted to the gut then intravenous chemo drugs would not be affected.
If however the inhibition is in the liver the consequences could be lowered effectiveness of the chemo treatment & possibly higher level of side effects due to longer persitance of the drug in the body & higher accumulation.

I hope this will turn out to be a false alert for most of those planing to use Boswellia but it needs to be clarified by someone with the right background such as Lani.

Last edited by heblaj01; 10-27-2006 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Typo errors
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
Vanessa

Hi Lani,

Thanks for the great information!
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
R.B.

Glad to see this resurface.

Re my post above.

Please do have a look at the omega three six posts if you have time or are tempted.

The essential fats and particularly omega three play a key part in brain health.

There have been suggestions that higher threes and lower sixes in the brain tissue are associated with lower risk of some brain cancers.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote