HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Unregistered

how large does your tumor need to be to have herceptin?

I have a 7mm tumor no vascular invasion, negative sentinnel nodes. Have done 4 rounds of AC, bilateral mastectomy. My onc told me that I should not have Taxol as the risks outweigh the benefits of only 1%. She seems reluctant to give me herceptin as well. On one hand she leads me to believe that I am a high risk of reccurance due to may age, 35, and on the other she says that I am on a lower end. I can't figure it out. Any thoughts ladies?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

You're not the only one who wonders how this guessing game is supposed to be played. For starters, get a copy of your pathology report and take a look at the current national breast cancer guidelines, which were posted by Rhonda:

NCCN Practical Guidelines in Oncology= V 2.2006
http://www.nccn.org/professionals/p.../PDF/breast.pdf

Also, ask your onc to go over your risk using the online Adjuvant! website if she hasn't already done that with you as it can provide you with a rough idea.

Hopefully those with tumors under 1 cm or your age may also respond to you here. If you can add more info about your hormone receptors or your tumor grade that might help.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Petesmom

Hi,

I too had a 7mm IDC, ER+ HER+++ , Grade 2(this was a recurrence) with no lymph node or vascular involvement. The first time my tumor specifics were the same as this last one except I was not HER+++. I had lumpectomy followed by rads and 5 years of Toremefine (was premenopausal). I had a mastectomy this time around and my onc said no to both chemo and Herceptin due to the risks of the treatments outweighing the benefits. He put me on Tamoxifen for a couple of months before I opted for removal of my ovaries (I am 52 and was premenopausal still) so that I could take Arimidex. This is a really tough call and for me I guess time will tell if we made the right decision. I feel comfortable with what I have chosen to do and that is basically what you have to decide with your oncologist. Keep us posted. You have certainly come to a great forum for support and info.

Blessings.

Petesmom
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
DeborahNC

I'm 52, had bil. mastectomy for .7cm IDC and 1.3cm DCIS comedo, ER+(weakly)/PR-, no lymphatic invasion, Her2+++, grade 2, neg sentinel node (removed 3). My onc rec. 6 rounds Taxol, 1 year Herceptin, an AI after chemo. Am 1/2 through the chemo.

My onc feels the real sticker is my Her+++ status, hence the aggressive treatment.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Unregistered

oops! Sorry I left out info.
My tumor grade was 2 (scored 6 on SBR), er (weakly positive at 5%) and pr-, miotic count was 2/10 hpf for a total of 1. Thanks ladies you are a wealth of info.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Michelle

My tumor was relatively larger(1.9cm), but my onc did not feel I strongly needed taxol. I did Ac, and insisted on the taxol. Regardless my onc. felt herceptin was a must I'am 34 and her2+++. If you feel uncomfortable with your onc's decision a second opinion would not hurt.
Best wishes
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
suzan w

small tumor

I had a small tumor 7mm (invasive lobular), node neg. ER+,PR+,Her2+++ did 4 rounds A/C. And am doing arimidex, and Herceptin for a year-3 week intervals. (Had oncotype dx test done-predicted a high intermediate risk for recurrence ) Onc. said she would have done herceptin without chemo but with the oncotype dx results she felt strongly that the chemo was necessary.
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote