HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Michelle

How long were you sore after lumpectomy and SNB?

I had lumpectomy, and SNB surgery in April of 05. I'am a little concerned as to why the lumpectomy site, and SnB site are still so sore. I would be interested to know if anyone else expierenced tenderness for an extended period of time after surgery. Could this be from the radiation therapy I completed in October?
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
RhondaH

I had my lumpectomy and SNB on 2/7/05...

and it hurt off and on up until a couple of months ago. I wouldn't be too concerned, but maybe mention it to your surgeon the next time you see him. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Becky

I had my lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy (had SNB but it was positive so they had to go back in and get more to see) in Sept 04. My rads were done in the beginning of April 05. I still have tightness and tenderness. For some people, it can take a long time to go away or there may always be a "tightness" perception. I did ask my onco and surgeon and in the beginning, it is from the healing process but now, it is attributed to the way the nerves were cut and how they are healing. This is different for each of us (not only the way each of us heals but also where (exactly) we were cut and how long the cut is etc.

You sound like me. As Rhonda mentioned, you should always say something to your doctor (so that they know everything that is going on with you) but I don't think its anything to be concerned with. (Mine bothers me around the incision (scar tissue) area).

Warm regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
juanita

I had my surgery September 04 and I still have pain in my lumpectomy site. Because of where the site was, any time I wear a bra the pain is a lot worse because the wire under the arm sits on my site. I see my surgeon in two weeks and was going to ask him about it.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

It depends on where the tumor and the SN were, how big they were, whether they had to take more out for dirty margins, plus how healthy you were to begin with, so everybody has different results. My soreness originally was from the seroma that followed the lumpectomy and eventually the surgeon aspirated the excess fluid for me and that helped. But with rads tx after that I also ended up with rads necrosis at the base of the breast, and rads also caused the breast to tighten up. I am 3 years out from rads and I think that in my case the underarm and lumpectomy site will always be moderately sore.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Michelle

Thanks ladies. I guess it must have something to do with nerves. My lumpecomy is on the chest wall at 1 o clock and did not bother me until after rad's. The SNB has been uncomfortable all along. I guess it's just one of those everlasting gifts.
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Possible med

P.S. I have a standing Rx for my choice of either low-dose Neurontin or low-dose amitriptyline that I take occasionally whenever it is really bothering me, particularly at night -- which has been more often as time has gone by and the rads has tightened things up more.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote