HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
imdavidson

Is Chemo Brain a Disability Under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)?

For anyone who is interested, last week I interviewed Joanna Morales, director of the Cancer Legal Resource Center about this topic. Many, many survivors (as many, many of us know) have struggled with cognitive issues after treatment. Some people are left so debilitated in fact that they no longer function at work as they once could. They fear losing their jobs and their livelihoods.

I wanted to know if this type of impairment qualified as a disability under the ADA. If it does, then employees would be entitled to accommodations from their employers. And that could make all the difference between holding onto a job - or not. Joanna gave me some great information. There's too much to post here. If you would like to see the Q & A with Joanna, you'll find it at www.YourBrainAfterChemo.blogspot.com.

I hope you find the information helpful.

All the best,
Idelle
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs up Re: Is Chemo Brain a Disability Under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)?

Thanks, Idelle, for providing clearer understanding about the options for addressing this problem in a practical way, instead of the vague and dismissive treatment it has always received in the past.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
imdavidson

Re: Is Chemo Brain a Disability Under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)?

Thanks, AlaskaAngel. I thought this was information that a lot of people didn't know. And sometimes all it takes is asking for reasonable accommodations at work, such as more time to complete a project or asking that any verbal instructions be followed up with an email, or having access to a personal digital assistant like a smart phone where you can keep your calendar and other data, or if you drive as part of your job, asking for a GPS in your car.

Idelle
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, chemo brain, chemobrain, cognitive, disability