HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
Midwest Alice

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

I am part of this club. I go flat. I was a DD before and it feels good to have that wieght off my body. I wear jackets to work or loose fitting tops. I have a prosthesis, but the strap goes across my port. So I go natural and I don't plan on any reconstruction. I am a little uneven...but .. love being braless.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
PinkGirl

I'm also a member of the flat chest society and wouldn't have
it any other way. I'm a wimp when it comes to stitches and
drains and blood, especially my own blood, and I would never
do anything to mess with the cancer "side".

I have a set of girls and a couple bras ... can't remember the
last time I wore them ... I'm flat as a pool table and don't mind
at all ... it's quite comfy.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
Unregistered

Smile Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

they go in through your mastectomy scar to insert the implants.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #24
bejuce

No reconstruction for me either, at least not yet. Not sure if I'll ever want it - I just don't want to go through another surgery after 3 c-sections, gallbladder removal, and a bilateral mastectomy. I miss my breasts but I'm really fine without them. I don't even own a prosthesis and wear a bra with a soft cup insert that works just fine.

After going through what I went through, I honestly could care less about what other people notice or think. But I do admit that I'm self conscious when people hug me, and also I wonder if some of my work colleagues know or can figure it out.

I used to be very open about my experiences - having a blog, and so on - but tried to make my info online as private as possible because I was tired and frustrated of having people treat me differently because of cancer. I changed jobs and at my new job I can go about my day as normal and be recognized solely for my work rather than be judged and have doubts on whether I can continue to be productive after having cancer.

Since I'm relatively young (40), I may still consider doing a DIEP and finally get rid of my pregnancy belly pouch, but that will take a lot of courage from me that I don't have yet. I think it'd improve my sexual image of myself somewhat, but I can let my mind do the work on that without my breasts.

What amazingly brave women we all are!!!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #25
leez

I chose bi-lat because mine were relatively large compared to my body. I didn't want reconstruction at the time to complicate the surgery. There is not a moment that I regret this decision. Now I love my body and wear prosthetics when I go out but go bra-less when I am at home. I also dance so small breast size actually fit my life style than before. At least for now, I don't desire reconstruction a bit!
leez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
LoisLane

Had bilateral mastectomies August 2008, bilateral breast cancer. Have not done reconstruction. Due to having radiation my breast surgeon said if I wanted reconstruction it could not be implants, can only be Tram or DIEP. Keep throwing the idea around a little, am pretty used to being flat chested now. I know if I dont have reconstruction I am going to have a tattoo of pretty pink blossoms winding down from the shoulder to top of chest. I figure that would look quite pretty in a bathing suit. Anyway I have thought about DIEP and sometimes the pictures look very good other times not so much. I tend to think I will probably end of going with the beautiful Japanese blossoms. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
Unregistered

Smile Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

I'm so glad that I ran across this thread! Thank you, EVERYONE! Reading your posts, I'm sure I did the right thing for myself. I'll be 62 this year. I had a bilateral mastectomy in May of 2002, followed by chemo, radiation, and 5 years of Tamoxifen. My partner makes Essiac tea for me and has the whole time since surgery. We met just before I was diagnosed, and he went to every chemo and radiation session. I think the love, care, and laughter that we share has had a lot to do with my "cancer-free" status today.

I've always kind of joked about "regaining my girlish figure" through surgery, but there have been times that I have given the idea of reconstructive surgery a lot of thought. A co-worker had BC and had silicone implants and had a very uncomfortable time through it all, having them replaced. I'm with the enough is enough camp! I have a "fleet" of silicone prosthesis, but rarely wear them... more comfortable without bras, as they irritate scar tissue and where my Jackson-Pratt drains were.

***There are prosthesis that adhere with velcro to a triangle piece of fabric that you glue to your chest with "medical grade glue"(?). I've tried these and they are actually pretty good, as they move with you like real breasts. The triangle fabric can be left on the chest for several days, too. You can wear regular bras, too.***
Maybe I'm lazy :-) I've gotten used to not wearing any prosthesis. I'm a complete woman as I am. Not "less than" because I do not have breasts!

I am still sensitive as to not having "the girls" as you've called them in certain circumstances. I had to ask my son to take some photos off Facebook, as I'd worn a top that showed a little too much when I leaned over! But, all-in-all, what matters most is that I'm still "onboard" and can enjoy friends and family (w/ 3 beautiful grandchildren!) Next year will be 10 years. Yay! I wish all of you well. Love & Gratitude -- Debbi
Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
emmastarr

I had a mastectomy last year and had a prophylactic mastectomy and double reconstruction on Tuesday, am in a lot of pain currently, but even thought I'm very swollen at the moment the results are good so far and am glad I put myself through it!
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
emmastarr

By the way, I went for a straight forward reconstruction of silicone implants, didn't have enough skin/flesh to make two new boobs, apparently!
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
BonnieR

Since this thread is reactivated, I thought I would take the opportunity to tell you about my latest and BEST solution to the prostheses and uncomfortable bra situation. I recently discovered COOBIE BRAS. They are the most comfortable things! They are one size fits all, believe it or not, and have very small inserts so that the result is to look like you have small curves. Enough to not feel totally flat. They come in very cool colors. Good to wear around the house or as a sleep top. I have worn mine in the pool. Google Coobie Bras. I saw them originally in a Fresh Produce clothing store.
So happy to have found a solution!
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Debbie L.

This is always an interesting topic because there are so many right answers -- and it's a different answer for each of us -- one that only we can figure out for ourselves.

But it does help to hear how each person handles it.

For me, one of the biggest advantages to being flat-chested is not wearing a bra. I did initially try some prostheses but it felt wrong for me. I felt costumed and MORE aware of my loss, not less-so. I never wore them out of the bedroom (although I tried, repeatedly).

But that was a long time ago (10 years). Now, I rarely give any thought to my chest. It's just how I am. If I look a little odd in my tank tops (big hips and belly) -- oh well. It's hot here and I've always been more about function than form.

But I do have one issue. I am never sure what to do when people are naked. For myself, I am okay with being naked in front of others, in the appropriate setting. But I know that some people are exquisitely sensitive to scars and mutilations -- to the point of feeling ill to just look at such. And I'd hate to ruin their day.

In locker rooms, this is less of an issue because it's usually not a big deal to just turn away when showering/changing, etc. But what about hot springs and nude beaches? I do not frequent them that often, but occasionally. So far, I've chosen to wear enough of a top to screen the scars, even though it's obvious what the top is covering.

What do others do, in this instance? Do you assume that people who are able to handle nudity themselves will be more able to handle whatever novelty-of-body is presented to them? Or do you cover up?

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
Pinay88

Hello, I thank God that there is this site. I am a newbie here. I am lucky to have an amazing sister who led me to this group. Eleven days ago, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy.. it was an elective procedure on the left for peace of mind and symmetry Just yesterday, my JP drains were removed..yay! I have a wonderfully caring husband who has always been at my side since I got my diagnosis. We've been married for 15 years now and I know for a fact that hubby though is quite sensitive to the sight of scars, etc...so much so that I haven't shown my excisional scars to him since the surgery. I do hope we get through this phase of awkwardness, the only questions are how and when. We've always enjoyed our intimate moments. Any ideas, experiences to share? I was quite timid to ask this of my surgeon. Anyways, we were offered immediate reconstruction which I didn't buy into because the thought of longer healing and delay of further treatment was not appealing at all. Truthfully, when I saw myself in the mirror after surgery, I was not horrified but surprisingly calm with the only thought in my head that this will help to cure me. I can't also see myself wearing prosthetics in the immediate future...don't see how comfortable that will be in my country's climate. As for reconstruction in the future, just the mere thought of more surgeries is enough for me to put that idea in the back burner. This has gone on long now. Thanks to you all. Reading what you sisters post here is more than enough to inspire and invigorate me as I start my own journey in battling this disease. God's blessings to us all.

Diagnosed at age 38 with IDC (T1, N0, M0)
6/22/2011: Excision biopsy, right breast, 1.9cm tumor,
ER-/PR-/HER2+++, grade 3
7/12/2011: MRM, right; elective mastectomy, left
ALL residual breast tissue and 19/19 lymph nodes NEGATIVE for tumor...yay!!
8/18/2011: port placement, start AC, cycle 1
10/23/2011: end AC cycle 4
12/12/2011: TH cycle 2 done
1/17/2012: Taxotere 3 done, on herceptin holiday due to arrhythmia..

Pinay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
Westcoastgirl

I had a double mastectomy and was very comfortable with the decision. My surgeon was adamant that I have both breasts removed and I eventually agreed after a few days of thought. I had planned on silicone implants but then I had to undergo radiation so was very concerned about the end result. It took me a great deal of time to decide to go ahead. My ps was not keen on tissue transfer as he felt too much could go wrong with a double transfer. He suggested implants despite the fact that I had had radiation. I would not have gotten breasts if I had had to do the tissue transfer as I wanted as little surgery as possible and no more scars. I was not really uncomfortable with the look of prosthetics but found them hot and they bothered my skin. I found I often went flat chested because my skin would rash so easily. I have to say I did not like the flat look and found with prosthetics I had to be very careful in my choice of clothes. I went ahead with the surgery as the ps thought my skin was in great shape (I took care of it like you would not believe during radiation) and I have not looked back. I did not have to go the expander route as the mastectomy surgeon saved a lot of skin. I went direct to small silicone implants just so I could have breasts and figured my body would handle small best. I am pleased with the results, not perfect but I have breasts and can wear anything I want. I love looking down and seeing flesh as opposed to the prosthetic sneaking out of the top of the bra. I am still shy about them with my husbnad but getting over that. My nipples will be fashioned from a skin graft and I won't even need anesthetic to do the operation. I have waited a long time for that surgery as I want everything to be healed and as good as it can be (will be done Nov 2011). I understand that it is easier to do examinations with implants (no mammograms) as it pushes the whole area out and any imperfections are evident. I was also told that the results are more predictable and often more successful with silicone as opposed to saline. I probably will not bother with tattoos for the nipples and will be content with nipples of any sort. I feel a need to complete the process now and have something in the centers of the breasts rather than just breast mounds. Best of luck with your decision. Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
nancyo

I had a bilateral mastectomy 7 yrs ago. I chose not to have reconstruction and I don't wear prosthetics. I gained a lot of weight during chemo and have a terrible time losing any at all - - so my body looks terrible. the people who love me still do, but I do wish there were clothes I could wear that didn't have big gaps in the front where boobs are supposed to be. I can't go to a wedding this weekend due to '"black tie" and I cannot find a cocktail dress in a size 22 (for the waist down) with no huge gaping front. Is there anywhere anyone knows of for clothing with a flatter front that aren't for men?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
Westcoastgirl

Nancyo, I too had a double mastectomy. I eventually did opt for reconstruction but waited a goodly amount of time before making that decision. I have no regrets, however. I was not comfortable with prosthetics and mostly went flat chested in the years before reconstruction. I did however have one bra and my two prosthetics for just the occasions you describe. When I wanted to dress up out came the bra and prosthetics. It is easy enough to get them and it might be something you want in your drawer to bring out when the occasion necessitates it. Otherwise the dresses looked just as you say. It was part of the dress up, nice clothes, a bra with prosthetics, along with makeup for those few times I wanted to truly look nice and pass for 'normal'. Good luck. Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years

I have heard th

Dr. Seuss
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #36
Unregistered

clothing issues

thanks, Carolyn for your kind words. - for my neice's wedding June, 2011, I did opt to get the prosthetics out and one was leaking. I was quite unhappy because I had paid a good amount for them and 3-4 bras and hadn't worn them much and cared for them well.(I know it's covered under insurance, but there is still the co-pay and deductible to consider) At that time, I could wear a spring skirt and a knit top and not look too bad ( I personally don't care how I look in general ) but for this "black tie" wedding, I don't have anything - I'm not the cocktail dress type - and in order to get something that fits the bottom the top is tremendously too big and I'd never wear it again. I'm glad I'm alive and glad that up until now, this hasn't been an issue - and I won't let it become one now. - Nancy O
Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #37
Westcoastgirl

Nancy, I just went with a local shop that sold a beanbag affair for my prosthetics. I never did the 'real' things. I am sure there is something local that would be available. Seeing as you already have the bra, even socks or cotton batting would do for stuffing. There must be/has to be a type of dress that could be made smaller on the top for you or isn't huge on the top to begin with. There are lots of women that are not large breasted. It is a dilemma for sure. Good luck!!

Any other ideas out there ladies? Nancy, maybe start a new thread rather than using this old one as I suspect we don't read to the end of these old postings as regularly as looking at new subjects. I know you will get more women responding if you start a new thread. Give it a whirl.
completed 28 rads 10/09.

I have heard th

Dr. Seuss
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #38
bevilj

Hi Nancy,

I'm glad you posted to this string. For all the months I have been on this site, I hadn't read these stories until now. I have often wondered how many others are out there like me...

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in Sept 09. Due to my diagnosis, my surgeon and my onc told me to focus on treatment and worry about reconstruction later on if I was interested. I did nothing for about a year and then decided to get prostetics. I generally don't care what I look like around town and really only got them for the dress-up occasions and business trips (I work from home but do travel to an office from time to time and didn't want people focusing on anything but my business ideas).

Not wearing foobs (or having reconstruction) has limited my clothing options but I have found a few options that I like and that I still feel somewhat stylish in. In fact, I wear them so little that my kids and I joke that I'm going to play dress-up when I do wear my 'foobs'. I also find I feel uncomfortable when I do wear them since it's so infrequent.

You mentioned that insurance copays, etc might be too much to deal with. I do want you to know that I have a friend who had a mastectomy who also faced that challenge. She ended up going to Nordstrom's and buying something similar (without a prescription) - she calls them her 'chicken cutlets' (yes, they kind of look like a chicken breast!). It was a low cost solution for her to be able to wear fitted clothing and feel good in dress-up situations. I have heard that specialty lingerie stores also sell something similar if you don't have a Nordstrom's in your area.

Good luck finding something that works for you. I'm sure whatever you decide you will look lovely at the wedding ~ Jen
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
implants, mastectomies, prosthetic breasts