HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Nicola

Responding to Clinical Trial of Lapatinib, Herceptin and Taxol

Hi Everyone,

I am so pleased to tell you all that I got my results back from my first CT scan since starting on chemo and that I am responding to the clinical trial drugs consisting of Herceptin, Taxol and Lapatinib, YAY! The two largest lesions on my liver have started to shrink. I will have another CT scan done in eight weeks and a bone scan done in June. I may be having a CT scan done of my pelvic area this week as they were supposed to have done so on Friday but someone messed up the order and only did my chest and abdomen. I am also having a scope done of the inside of my bladder this Thursday to try to find out why I am continuing to have UTI symptoms without actually having a UTI. I am pretty sure it is irritation from the chemo drugs but better to be safe then sorry. The CT scan did show a swollen lymph node in my chest near the trachea, I am hoping this is due to a sinus infection or something and wont be there on the next scan. Instead of being nervous about the bone scan I am now looking forward to it to see if the lytic lesions on my spine have shrunk too.

I have a lot of fatigue and some body aches but overall I am doing fairly well.

The largest lesion in my liver went from 4.3 - 5.6cm to 3.2 - 3.9cm
The second largest lesion in my liver went from 3.2 - 2.8cm to 2.2 - 2.6cm

Hope you are all doing well and that you have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Hugs,
Nicola
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
sherri

Dear Nicola,
Great news. I hope you continue responding well to the trial and be NED very soon.
Big hug,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
RhondaH

Thumbs up AWESOME NEWS Nicola!!!!

And prayers that more good news is soon to come your way.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:13 AM   #4
Tessa

Dear Nicola,

Wonderful news, your exhilaration is cheering just to read. Nothing like looking forward to tests in the expectation more MORE good news.

I have a peripherally related question - about the costs of tests in a clinical trial. I am in the HERA study in Europe and suddenly I was told that I am supposed to pay for all the follow-up tests (x-rays, mammograms, etc), though for the first two years those were apparently handled by Hofmann-LaRoche or whomever sponsored the study. I am having a very hard time getting a straight answer on this, and just would like to know how it works for women in clinical trials in America.

Thanks,

Tessa
Old 02-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Cathya

Nicola;

I have been thinking of you and wondering how your treatments were going and so was very happy to see your post. I am so glad they are reducing the tumors and have no doubt you will get more good news shortly. We are praying for you.

Cathya
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
karenann

Wonderful news!!!

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Nicola

Hi Tessa, Thank you so much for your kind words. The clinical trial that I am on requires me to pay for all of my scans and tests and for the Herceptin, Taxol and Zometa. The only thing that is it covered by the trial is the Lapatinib, study visits and various procedures that are a part of the study. Anything that is considered standard care for women with breast cancer is my responsibility. It really stinks, like you I was truly hoping that more would be covered by the clinical trial, but I guess I just have to count my blessings and be grateful that I was asked to participate in this trial and was accepted. I wish you all the very best and hope you are having a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Hugs,
Nicola
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Maryanne

I'm so very happy for you Nicola. You are paving the way and I thank you for this.

Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
lexigirl

Smile

I am so happy to read your good news. I pray that all gets better and better!! You are a true pioneer!!

Happy Valentines Day!

Love,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote