HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

A short Synopsis of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium

Genentech - Will submit data from the adjuvant Herceptin trials to the FDA for approval in the first quarter.

GSK - Phase III clinical trials of Tykerb (lapatinib) are in full swing. Adjuvant trials of Tykerb (Lapatinib) should begin shortly in Europe and an application is planned before the FDA to start adjuvant trials in the US shortly.

GSK - Brain Tumors - We spoke to Dr. Winer and also several people from GSK's neuro-oncology unit. The phase I trials of Tykerb (Lapatinib) look promising and other trials are planned using a combination of drugs. Dr. Winer is confident of eventual success.

Bayer Serum Test - Clinical studies are underway and a comprehensive presentaion is planned at ASCO in May.

In general, The HER2 Support Group was warmly received by all of the professional groups who attended this event. We are finally achieving the recognition that we have worked for the past 4 years to attain. I believe that all of our efforts can be summed up in an email that I received from Dr. Martin Murphy, who is the publisher of OncologyR Magazine which is a highly respected journal for clinical oncologists:

Dear Christine:

My wife, Ann, and I had the pleasure of meeting Joe last night at a
reception sponsored by GSK-Oncology for advocates. It was the highpoint of
the evening. We are very thankful that GSK's Kevin Lokay pointed us in
Joe's direction.

You and your family have taken a diagnosis and converted it into hope for
yourselves ... and a global village of breast cancer patients. In the
process you are inspiring those of us who devote our careers (and a good
portion of our waking hours) to finding solutions for this intolerable
disease.

We salute you ... and will find ways in which to help support you and your
HER2 Support Group.

Choicest regards,

Marty

Dr. Martin J. Murphy
Executive Editor
The OncologistR

Christine and I alone cannot accept full credit for the success of our support group as we could not have achieved our many accomplishments without the support and contributions of the many thousands of breast cancer survivors who visit our website. I sincerely do believe that all of you are the "family" that Dr. Murphy refers to in his email.

Warmest Regards
Joe and Christine

Last edited by joe; 12-12-2005 at 07:00 PM..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Lisa

Joe and Christine,

A simple, yet enormous, "THANK YOU."

Love and light,

Lisa and Mel
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
TriciaK

Just more of the wonderful things you've shared with us from San Antonio, Joe! If we have ever felt alone with all we endure we surely should not ever feel alone again! Thank you all!! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Julie2

Thanks for sharing the information. I feel I am not alone in this fight. You should be proud of yourself that you are able to help so many people.

Julie
Old 12-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
RobinP

Joe,
I am deligted that the medical community is finally recognizing her2support! Additionally, your comments are very touching Joe. Thank you for sharing, for your continual contributions of information and knowledge and last but not least for starting the family of her2support.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Ah gee, thanks Joe, I emailed a copy of your post and the letter to my onc. He has asked me to be gentle with the onc trialing the drug CYT997, I am to see him next week and I am going to ask what are the chances of taking Herceptin with it, they are going to want to know later anyway, so now is as good a time as any, seeing we are special people just like those who trialed the Herceptin in the beginning, I will keep you posted. Maybe this is what my onc was referring to?

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Lolly

Joe, Christine, Ginger, Steph, Sandy, Al and Linda;

Thanks again for your dedication to keeping us all informed on the latest cutting edge research. It took an enormous amount of energy and time for you all to do this, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #8
sarah

Yes, Thanks to all of you at HER2support. You make living with this so much easier. We don't feel so alone or as confused.
Thank you, thank you, thank you,
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
suzan w

Thank you all so much for this wonderful place to come...any time of the day or night...for support, information, help, and most importantly...HOPE!!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote