HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer Newsfeed
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
News

Talzenna (talazoparib)

Talzenna (talazoparib) is a prescription drug that's used to treat certain types of breast cancer. It’s prescribed for breast cancer that’s HER2-negative, locally advanced or metastatic, and BRCA-positive. Talzenna comes as oral capsules that are taken once daily. Learn about side effects, warnings, dosage, and more.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
donocco

Re: Talzenna (talazoparib)

After a while you get to understand the what the drug is by the prominant
side effects. If it raises blood pressure it inhibits VEGF in some way. If it causes diarrhea it inhibits EGFR. If it lowers left ventricular ejection fraction it inhibits Her2 Neu like Lapatanib and Herceptin.

Talzenna can cause myelodysplastic and dysplasia. It can also cause leukemia. Reading this made me think of Lynparza, the PARP inhibitor, While Lynparza is I believe FDA approved for Ovarian can cer, Talzenna is approved for BRCA mutated breast cancer that is HER 2 neu negative. The dose is 1 mg daily and blood counts have to be closely monitored. It can also cause nausea fatigue'
absominal pain , dizzziness etc. It is also indicated for Ovarian cancer. I imagine you could use Lynparza for certain breast cancers although this isn t an FDA indication.

Of course this linking of side effects with mechanism of action is a generalization but there often is a basic pattern.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
donocco

Re: Talzenna (talazoparib)

I made a slight error. I thought I was printing the insert for Talzenna but iit was for Lynparza. I just made a quick glance and Talzenna is only indicated for the BRCA breast cancer. Ill look more deeply tomorrow in case this is wrong.

But as far as mechanism of action and side effects are concerned Talzenna is Lynparza and vica versa. Both are Parp inhibitors with similar side effects and the same PARP inhibiting mechanism of action.

Sorry to be such a perfectionist.
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote