HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
WayTooYoung

HELPx2

Hello ladies,

I am seeking counseling from anyone who's had radiation treatment 2 times. Please see my other post titled "Help" for more insight.

Since my second recurence last week....things have been a total blur. Yesterday I broke down and really cried. My oncologist sent me to go see my radioOnc just to be sure nothing can be done in that department. She said I would not qualify for surgery or radiation since I did not qualify for surgery last year when I had a recurrence. And since I already had maximum dosage of RAD, i probably would not qualify either due to side effects and dangers...well guess what? HE SAID he was recommending that I get the same amount of radiation for 5 weeks!!! For some reason, that didnt sit well with me....doesnt even sound right...I am scared, confused, and worried.

He is also saying that the best way to administer the radiation is to deliver it 2 times a day at 6 hours apart!!! I do not live close to this hospital at all and I would have to leave my teaching job. I feel so overwhelmed BC I have bills to pay...and worried about my future...what if it triggers second cancer!?! Or worse more scarring to my heart and lungs? ;(

Anyone with radiation experience??? Lost and confused more than ever!
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
sarah

Re: HELPx2

you need a second opinion. Get the opinion from a different hospital and the top guy you can get to, let them now it's urgent.
I've only had rads once so can't comment on the twice idea however I know that despite the fact they say only once, it has been done more in certain cases but I don't know any personal histories.
I hope you have some good support and are taking anti-anxiety drugs or something. It's hard to be calm at these times.
Where is the hospital you go to? Maybe you can find a cancer survivor to stay with during this time??? so you don't have to travel twice a day and then get a leave of absence from your school.
big hug and love
sarah
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
yanyan

Hi WTY! Sorry to hear you are going thru a tough time! Local
Recurrence to skin and chest wall remains to be a challenge treatment wise. Two times a day radiation gives your healthy cells to recover as they are given in smaller dosage. You might have to take another chemo combo until surgery is an option. I hope you will find light in this cancer fighting tunnel. Lots of hugs
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
CarolineC

Hi WTY,
I was only maybe 2 months out of treatment for my earlier stage bc when I started having symptoms in my sternum and a 3cm lesion was found 6 months later. I thought when I saw my rad onc that he would suggest 5 treatments to alleviate the pain but he suggested 20 more in an adjacent area but part of it would overlap with the previously radiated (25 rads the year before) area. I believe he said to treat it aggressively since it was undetectable anywhere else. I also decided to have chemo again because although it was undetectable didn’t mean it wasn’t setting up shop. I am now just a year out from all that treatment and yes, it was very scary, and can’t we just have a vacation from Cancerland? It’s so exhausting to always be hoping to get away from it all, we have done our dues enough, we want the wind in our sails and to get on with a “normal” life.

I have been treated as oligometastatic, having limited affected areas. I don’t like the fact that it seems no one is helping you with sorting out all this information you’re being given and your lack of support from that oncologist. Have you contacted your provincial cancer agency to see what help you may be able to access financially?If you decide to do the rads you could possibly move to a local cancer lodge and have financial aid with the costs. Also, are you part of a union where you could be covered for short term disability? What about a breast cancer navigator at your local cancer agency? Or a counsellor to help you access any more help?
Princess Margaret Hospital has a radiation program and I found the number for an oligometastases program they run (I know yours is a recurrence, but it is still limited, so maybe they’ll have ideas) and you could talk to someone there. I ‘m not good at posting links but check this out -http://www.theprincessmargaret.ca/en/HealthcareProfessionals/ProgramDepartments/RMP/Pages/ClinicalPrograms.aspx. The contact name is Asanda Cheung at 416-946-2130.

In regards to any other treatment- shut the hormones down, at least for now, with shots and then you can take Letrozole (Femara), and are you at least on Herceptin? What kind of hormone therapy were you on before?

Anyway, I hope some of this information helps you.
Caroline
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
'lizbeth

Oh this is heart breaking. I will pray for you. I don't even know what to say. Am wishing for miracles and new circumstances that will allow you to receive all that you need.

Sending you love and support.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Becky

Get a second opinion to be sure. Waiting a couple of days won't hurt at all.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
carolanno

Hi,

So sorry you've been dealing w/so much. my first recurrence was near my primary tumor (2.5 years later) and I had a second 6 wk course of radiation along with Taxol/Herceptin. i was cancer free for 10 yrs after that w/no adverse effects of second radiation. more recently, I had a mastectomy and my surgeon was a little concerned about the skin that had been radiated twice, but it healed well w/no complications. so I hope my positive experience helps to allay some of your fears.

Take care,
Carol
carolanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
BonnieR

As others advised, get a second opinion. Just talking to another expert helps clear the air and offers clarity. You hear differently. And try some medication for anxiety. Ativan is my friend.
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
WayTooYoung

Thank you all for chiming in. I will definitely ask more questions and try to see what other options are out there for me. Good to know some of you ladies have had RAD treatments in the same area and have not experienced much more complications.

I am soooo tired.
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote