HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Esther

Update on Brain Mets

We just got back late last night from our ski trip to Telluride, CO. It was a glorious week of skiing. I wasn't sure how things would go as I arrived in Telluride 10 days post X-knife procedure for my brain lesion.

Telluride is a very challenging mountain, and the altitude is also difficult to adjust to, especially coming from sea level as I am here in Southern CA. In addition to that, I was getting used to completely new high tech expert ski's and boots.

But I'm happy to say that I navigated the expert terrain without any adverse reactions from the brain mets or the X-knife procedure. The days were tiring, but exhilirating and fun. Interestingly enough, Decadron is used as a treatment for side effects of Altitude Sickness. I was already on Decadron post X-Knife procedure, as I was told to remain on it for 2 weeks post treatment.

I have been following the discussions on the BBB chemo treatments with interest, as that is where my next steps will be headed, deciding on where to head from here with treatment. I'll be sure to post any information I come across.

Who would have thought that 2 weeks post treatment for a brain lesion I would be standing at the top of one of the steepest ski mountains in the US waiting to ski down!! And negotiating my way down feeling good about myself and having the time of my life.

Thank you so much for everyone's support and input. You have all helped me feel that dealing with Brain Mets is doable, and that I can get through this. Life does go on and I will continue to do my best to enjoy every minute of it.

Last edited by Esther; 02-12-2006 at 03:59 PM..
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
CLTann

What an amazing achievement. You set a good example for all of us on how we should deal with life. Congratulations.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
TriciaK

Esther, I can visualize you on the brink of that mountain letting go of fear and swooshing down with exhilaration, wind blowing your hair, giving it your all with joy and abandonment. It's kind of how you face life and dealing with BC! I really admire you! I am brave in lots of areas, but swooshing down a mountain on two sticks isn't one of them! Of course, I have never tried to ski, so maybe the exhilaration is so great it completely nullifies the fear. Alas, I will never know , so all I can do is visualize! We are all proud of you and your many accomplishments and especially how you meet life head on! We all gain courage from your attitude and your achievements! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Barbara H.

Esther,
You really know how to live. You are absolutely unbelievable!!!
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Unregistered

you go girl---
good for you
Carol
Old 02-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
StephN

Thumbs up Olympics, anyone?

Hey Esther!
HER2support has its own entry into the Olympics in the person of YOU!
Glad you had such a great time skiing and the Decadron did not hamper your style and stamina to any noticeable degree.

I, too, am looking at what alternatives may be appropriate for me after this excision of whatever it was. I did let my med onc know that I am interested in small-molecule therapy, and he is noncommittal without the path back. They like to go with the proven treatments especially on their success story patients. I imagine a re-Gamma is on the table for me if I want it.

Would like to stay in touch with what you are uncovering or anything that you find appealing.

I know how exhilerating skiing can be when you are confident and in shape - I used to ski with a lot of racers - did not race myself and lived too far from the slopes to really train, so settled for the city swim team. (Not quite the same!) One thing I never got was a pin for making it all the way down Mt. Baldy at Sun Valley with an instructor without a "touch down." I did it with my family, but that did not get me the PIN! A friend gave me a pin that said "Certified Hill Basher" and I still have it. Maybe I should send it to you!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
mamacze

Dear Esther,
I agree with Carol...You Go Girl! Now, if I am ever diagnosed with brain mets; I will let the people around me focus on their fears...I for one will focus on YOU and head for the nearest mountain!
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote