HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Gamma Lu

Newly diagnosed and totally confused

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer with no lymph node involvement and my hormone levels were fine. However, I was also diagnosed with Her2. Because of the 18% chance of re-occurance my oncologist suggested chemo treatments to bring it down to 10% or less. So many of you talk of herceptin treatments, however I feel overwhelmed worrying about chemo side effects let along herceptin side effects. Is herceptin always necessary and I would really like to hear from survivors that are leading long, productive lives because all I hear about is doom and gloom concerning Her 2.
Gamma Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Alice

Hi,
It certainly can be very confusing. I can't speak to what to do in the case of stage 1 since I was stage 3 and chemo for me was imperative. All I can say is that herceptin has made a substansial difference in treatment and survival for those that have her2. What kind of chemo is the Dr. suggesting? If he is looking at herceptin alone it is very doable. Many would suggest getting a second opinion. I think it depends on how comfortable you are with your onc. You stated that your hormone levels were ok. Does that mean your tumor is hormone negative. Also how agressive is your tumor? You should have a Richardson/ bloom rating of 0 thru 3. All of this information is vital in making such decisions. I hope I didn't just confuse you more. Let us know what you decide. There are many on this site that have a lot of knowledge and will be very helpful
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Marlys

Welcome to this site! I found it after I had already been through chemo and wish I had found it sooner just for the support. I, too, was stage 1, HER 2+++, ER+++, & PR+. I have come to really care about the people I have met here. I am a retired nurse but was not up to date on oncology and the people here were a tremendous support. hope you do as well as I have.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
caya

Hello Gamma Lu,

Welcome to our board, if you have HER2+ BC this is the best place to be. You will find lots of information here.

Herceptin is basically the magic potion for Her2+ - especially as you are at stage 1, with no node involvement, same as me. In the "olden days",Her2+ BC was considered "more aggressive" and had a "poorer prognosis." This was before Hercpetin, and also before the addition of the Taxane chemos - taxol and taxotere. Most of the statisitics you will read about Her2+ are before these treatments - Herceptin was only approved for early stage BC in the States in Nov. 2006 - not even 2 years ago.

Most oncs. recommend chemo/Herceptin for Her 2+ BC because Her 2+ is sneaky - and you will want to fight the beast with everything you've got. Chemo is very doable, and Herceptin is a "walk in the park" compared to it. I would get a second opinion from an oncologist who specializes in breast cancer, if you can. Most of them are on top of the latest treatments and stats for Her2+.

I'm nearly 2 years out - I'm sure many others who have been out for many years will chime in to reassure you.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
DanaRT

Dear Gamma Lu,

From what I can tell from your post your dx is much like mine. As you can see by my signature I did chemo, radiation and all the while Herceptin. Chemo had it's rough days but I still functioned to some point everyday--about two "couch" days per treatment.

I just returned from a Herceptin treatment and I feel really really good. Getting out the vacuum and moving on with my day!

Keep us posted.

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Mary Jo

Welcoming you Gamma Lu with open arms and a heart that cares.

I was NOT diagnosed at Stage 1 but was diagnosed at stage 2 with 1 node positive. I am currently at 3 years as a survivor and feeling wonderful. Yes Gamma Lu, we all have heard the doom and gloom but we are here to tell you that HOPE is alive and thanks be to God for herceptin. It is a miracle drug for sure.

Chemo scared the bageebees out of me too. Oh my gosh...I tried every tactic I could to get out of it (what was I thinking being a stage 2 with a 4 cm tumor and 1 node thinking I shouldn't do chemo - obvioulsy I wasn't and naturally was not educated AT ALL in breast cancer much less her2 breast cancer) Chemo was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be and the best word I can think of to describe it is "doable." I think many here would tell you the same. As far as herceptin goes, well, that was a walk in the park for me and it is for most of us. Herceptin is definitely a must....it makes all the difference in a her2 positive breast cancer .. for most of us.

So Gammu Lu.........here's a hug and a smile. Please know that we are here for you. We truly do care and I am here to tell you that you can do this and I'm sure you will do very well in treatment.

Asking God to give you His strength to sustain you and His peace to calm you.

Love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Sherryg683

OK, I am going to be frank here.. Do whatever chemo your doctors suggest so that you are not one day a stage IV and saying...damn what IF I had done the chemo. Her2 is agressive if not treated properly. Herceptin is not bad at all when taken by itself, I have had sinus issues and a little tiredness the first 2 days, you don't even lose your hair. If they feel you need something more, then do it. Of course second opionions are always an option so you will feel comfortable in your decisions. Speaking from a stage IV diagnosis here, there is no way that I would not do some sort of chemo, why take any chances with it...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
BonnieR

Welcome. I hope you get some resolution to your concerns here. There WAS alot of "doom and gloom" about HER2+ before Herceptin came along. You can see by my signature that we have similar situations, as far as I can tell from what you have told us. Anyway, I agonized about what treatment to do. I was in a "grey area" and full of fear and trepidation.I got 3 opinions, all different! But by talking to more than one doctor, visiting sites like this one and becoming educated about my choices, I got clarity. There are alot of resources you can use. The American Cancer Society, for instance, talked to me about my options too. And a social worker said to me "if it was a loved one trying to make this choice, what would you want them to do?" I chose to do chemo and Herceptin. Like Sherry said, I would have hated the "woulda, coulda, shoulda". There were some bad days but the worst was the anticipation and dread. Once I made the decision, it was just a matter of getting through it and coming out on the other side. Which we DO!
So do your research, write your questions for the doctors, have someone with you to help hear the answers and make an informed decision. Everyone here will help you. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
hutchibk

So many wise ones here have answered the question, but I will add my 2ยข worth. Yes. It is worth it to consider at least Herceptin. For at least a year. The side effects are typically minimal. Some do have heart issues, but that is small percentage. It is more likely that you will not. Herceptin is not chemo. It is a targeted agent that specifically targets HER2. Some of us who live with (multiple) reccurences wish it had been available when we were dx'ed... but the timing wasn't in our favor...

You won't get nausea or lose your hair from Herceptin. You will need to get regular muga scans (your doc will know the necessary frequency) to monitor your heart, but please know that this is the smartest thing you can do for potential prevention of reccurence. Of course, nothing is a guarantee, but Herceptin is a really good start. It's never too late to start being careful.

Best wishes!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Louise O'Brien

Gamma Lu:

My diagnosis was very much like yours - Stage one, no lymph or sentinel node involvement, and er/pr negative.

In Canada, we didn't have the option of choosing Herceptin on its own. Because our health care is covered, it was Herceptin plus chemo or nothing. So I had no choice but to go through chemo as well.

I went through chemo first and then Herceptin and wrapped up treatment six months ago.

Looking back, I'm happy I made the most agressive choice - I did the best I could and will never have to second-guess myself or ask "what if.."

I took my cue from my husband's situation eight years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. There were all kinds of options from radical surgeery to what they call "watchfull waiting" i.e. just wait and see whether it will get worse.

He was influenced by a video that was given him which included an interview with General Norman Schwarzkopf who also had prostate cancer.

Schwarzkopf said his only response when he was diagnosed was to "get the damned thing out". Not to mess around. My husband made that decision and he's not sorry.

I too opted for the most aggressive course considering I was stage one. I went through a mastectomy followed by chemo & Herceptin.

I know it's an awful, confusing time and as others have said, it might help to get a second opinion.

And take a friend with you - someone who will take notes because there's so much you might not hear considering how emotional this decision is.

I cannot stress how important Herceptin is though - it's important to take that drug.

And as others have said - chemo is do-able. Once you're through that, Herceptin is a relative walk in the park. I experienced minimal side effects and had regular muga scans. My life returned to near-normal once I was on Herceptin. It truly is a miracle drug.

Last edited by Louise O'Brien; 09-12-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: edited to add more on Herceptin
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Patb

I was also Stage I, No Nodes but because of Her2
my Dr. suggested chemo and radiation (lumpectomy)
and one year of Herceptin. All ok, two years, three months. I have no regrets to saying yes. I had lots
of heart test and was closely watched. Take care
and best of luck.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I certainly can't offer any advice better than what you have received already - I just wanted to say welcome to the site. The people here are sooooo helpful. Good Luck!

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
christie

Hi Gamma Lu,

Its good you found this site, its really helpful, i was diagnosed in May this year and from the time i came to know i was Her2, i was looking for information everywhere ,till i found this site. Now my search has come to an end, everyone here is so helpful and you can really take their advice.

I am also stage 1 with no nodes involvement, ER-,PR-, Her2 +++.

I had a mastectomy, there was a 2.5 cm tumour, and now iam on chemo, I finsihed 3 of them and i am going in for the 4th next week. They will start Herceptin from the 5th round.

Dont worry about anything, your doc is doing the right thing, do follow his decision.

Take care, dont worry, except for the nausea (mild) in the first 3 days , i have not experienced anything bad. its tolerable and after loosing your hair, you can try out all the new hair styles with different wigs, in fact i am enjoying all the new looks. Take it in the right spirit and be positive. God bless you.
love
christie
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
CindyE

Hello and welcome,
I am stage 1 with no nodes involved too. I did 4 cycles of chemo and am doing 1 year of Herceptin. See my signature for details. The chemo was very doable and I tolerated it well. As for HER2 +, the Herceptin is a wonder drug for the wiley cancer cells of HER2 and it's causing me no problems at all. You can do it all and then move on with your life, knowing that you did all you should have to kick this cancer of our your life hopefully for good. Take care,

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!

I am calling this my pink journey
Follow my journey into the pink at my blog here

CindyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
juanita

I was stage 1 but did chemo and herceptin. It doesn't hurt to be proactive on this. There are other factors your doctor will look at so if you have any other questions just ask.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
StillHere

Gamma Lu
I am sorry you have to go through this. One thing I regret was not researching the heart damaging effects for A/C chemo. In hind site, my tumor did not change at all after the 4 treatments of A/C, but did start shrinking after just one dose of Taxol. I also started Herceptin every week when I started taxol. Had to stop Herceptin after 7 mos. due to cardiomyopathy. I have since returned to normal heart function with help of a beta blocker and Ace inhibitor. My first thought was to pump me with whatever I can stand to kill this bugger. My thought now is maybe A/C was not the best decision. I think staying onHerceptin longer instead of 4 treatments of A/C would have been more beneficial. I will never know for sure. I just want you to get as much info on future issues that may arise from treatments you are considering taking now. Then make your decision and don't trouble yourself with what ifs. KS
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
gracie's mom

Hi- I was scared about the chemo too - I have now had two rounds of THC and herceptin every week. I have not had a bad experience-just mostly tired and of course, the hair loss. That is not bad to handle- get a wig, scarves and have fun with it. I only had one sad day with the hair- the day it was coming out in my hand. I did what all the women said to do and got my head shaved. Mentally and physically much better!! I know hair is not the big concern- the cancer being stopped is but it is mentally important to prepare a good attitude for it all. My outlook is that I will do what it takes to hopefully be cured. I told myself that the side effects cannot last and I can stand what I must knowing it is not forever. Anyway- hope this helps and I wish you the very best and yes, I believe Herceptin is a Godsend for us that are HER2 +.

I gain strength, courage
and confidence
by every experience in which
I must stop and look fear in the face...
We must do the the things
that we think we cannot do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
gracie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote