HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Paula O

Army of Women: ER Positive Study

https://www.armyofwomen.org/

We need women from anywhere in the United States who have been diagnosed with any stage of ER+ breast cancer and are prescribed and/or taking hormonal therapy to participate in a study that investigates how breast cancer patients feel about their cancer treatments.

Women with ER+ tumors are typically prescribed hormone therapy: tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor, such as Femara (letrozole), Arimidex (anastrazole), or Aromasin (exemestane). Studies have found that only about half of the women prescribed a hormone therapy stay on their treatment for five years. A research team from Georgetown University wants to learn more about why some women continue to take their medication and others do not. This information will help them improve the likelihood that women will stay on these drugs for a full five years.

Please read on to learn more about what’s involved and who can participate. If this study isn’t right for you, please pass it on to your family members or friends!

What's the study about?

The purpose of this study is to learn more about how women taking hormonal therapies for breast cancer treatment feel about their medications. The research team needs 300 women to participate in this study.
What's involved?

If you sign up for the “Women’s Hormonal Therapy Initiation and Persistence (WHIP) Study” the research team will contact you to confirm that you are eligible. If you are eligible and choose to participate in the study, you will be asked to do the following:

• Sign and initial the consent form.
• Complete a baseline telephone interview. This will last approximately one hour and will include questions about your perceptions of treatments and how you feel about interactions with your healthcare providers.
• Complete three follow-up interviews over approximately 36 months.
• Provide the research team access to your pharmacy records so they can assess medication adherence.
• Optional: provide a saliva sample using a kit sent to you in the mail. The research team is interested in exploring if all women process (metabolize) their treatment medications the same way. The kit and the postage to return the kit in the mail are provided at no cost to you.

Your participation in this study will not affect your medical care and all information will be kept confidential.
Who is conducting the study?

This study is conducted by Dr. Vanessa Sheppard, Associate Professor of Oncology at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. This research is being sponsored by the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Where?

Anywhere in the United States – all participation will be conducted on the telephone and in the mail
Who can participate?

You can sign up for the Women’s Hormonal Therapy Initiation and Persistence (WHIP) Study if you meet ALL of these MAIN criteria:

• You are female and over the age of 21
• You were diagnosed with any stage of breast cancer (Stage 0 – IV)
• You have been diagnosed with ER + breast cancer
• You are prescribed and/or taking hormonal therapy
• You live in the United States

After you RSVP, the research team will contact you to ask additional questions to be sure that the study is a good fit for you.

https://www.armyofwomen.org/
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: Army of Women: ER Positive Study

I signed up.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
snolan

I signed up.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Lisalou

Just signed up, too
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
2/14/14 BRCA results negative
2/17/2014 skin & nipple sparing BMX with reconstruction Tissue expanders placed
IDC Stage 2A left breast. 9mm tumor no other CA 1/4 nodes positive
ER + PR + Her2 +(by FISH)
Right breast no cancer, sclerosing adenosis
3/13/14 Round 1 AC minimal side effects
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
4/10/14 Round 3 a little more nausea
4/24/14 round 4 hurray! Done with phase 1!
5/8/14 THP ( taxol weekly x12, Herceptin & perjeta every 3 weeks x 4)
7/24/14 done with chemo
Continue of Herceptin every 3 wks x 1 yr
5/14 start Tamoxifen x 5 years
8/18/14 removal of TEs silicone implants placed
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!
12/17/14 nip & tuck revision of Left breast

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lisalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
sarah

filled it in, waiting to see if I'm signed in or not.
I wonder if they adjusted the doses to fit patients if that would work better. It is worrying that so many are unable to handle taking them. I would have been too petrified to stop taking them. In fact I took Femara for 6 years in the days you were supposed to only take it for 5. the 10 year time only came out a year or more after I'd stopped or I would have stayed on it longer. I've had side effects from everything I've ever taken but I'm still here so my belief is in doing whatever it takes. The radiation had the worst side effects for me personally.
I do hope they find a way to make taking these drugs easier for those who've been having problems which is why I signed up but I hope those who went off them, will sign up so they can work on a way to make them easier to take. I found chemo much harder so it surprises me that those who managed chemo had this problem. Could it be an allergy to something in it?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
LeahM

Joined the women under 40 study
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Jean

I am in....
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Coux92

Thanks Paula, I registered too
5/15/13 dx IDC 1CM,
5/20/13 BRAC 1&2 neg
5/28/13 lumpectomy and SNB, ER/PR/Her-2+, Nodes neg,positive margins
6/13/13 revision of margins . Now clear
6/26/13 first TCH
Chemo Ninja~kutaki Zika Zukuchiri
10/18/13-Bx of calcification-neg whew
11/7/13 Started Radiation.
01/2014- Started Tamoxifen
06/09/14-Steriotactic BX left breast calcification-Benign
06/18/2014-completed one year of Herceptin!
Coux92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
LuckyLinda

Smile Re: Army of Women: ER Positive Study

I signed up and have been contacted. I have been taking Femara nightly for 2 years and my oncologist told me at my last visit (every 4 months now) that he will probably recommend I stay on it for the rest of my life as recent studies have shown that it significantly decreases the chance of recurrence. So.........whatever it takes. I have a lot of pain in my feet/spine/hips/hands but I'm not sure that I wouldn't have it anyway as I am 66 years old, have arthritis and degenerative disc disease in my spine and have muscle weakness issues related to polio (which I contracted at age 15 months). Ibuprofen 600 mg. three times a day usually relieves the pain. I also was thrown from a horse (1st time ever on a horse) 3 days before Christmas and suffered 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung requiring chest tube placement. It took 6 months to recover from the broken ribs and associated pain and stiffness. I have trouble walking (due to the polio), but I ride a bicycle and have worked my way up to 10 miles a day. I am almost 3 years post right mastectomy with positive lymph nodes (2), had TCH chemo, continued on Herceptin for a full year and went through 28 rads. I had my implants placed in April 2013. (Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither, it seems, is the reconstructed breast). So far I am NED and hope to stay that way.
R side modified radical mastectomy on 12/09/11 with immediate reconstruction (expander)
Stage IIB 2 nodes + out of 10 removed
Double power port inserted 1/11/12
Chemo therapy (TCH) - every 21 days for 6 cycles beginning 1/25/12
Finished chemo on 5/21/12
Continue Herceptin only every 3 weeks until 12/28/12 Radiation (28 rads) began 6/26/2012.
Will start Femara after radiation ends (8/03/12)

"The hope for healing is not born out of a fear of death, but a love of life.This is a very good thing. When people love life more than they fear death, they come to treatment with open hands, open hearts, open eyes.When people fear death more than they love life, they are clinging and clutching and grasping."
LuckyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote