HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
Ellie F

Re: I'm back (sorry to those of you that were glad to see me go)...but I'll be gone a

Laurel
You gave me the BIGGEST laugh of the day. Thank you x

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
Laurel

Wink Re: I'm back (sorry to those of you that were glad to see me go)...but I'll be gone a

Oh, get a sense of humor,silly woman or man, in which case I suppose I would suggest growing a pair rather than hide behind anonymity.

Retract the fangs, sweetie, this isn't a mean-spirited place. It is, however, where topics may be discussed with civility. If this ticks you off, keep alert, I am not finished. A chuckle among all the fear and anxiety never hurts. I realize, perhaps more so than you, what is at stake in this whole health care debate, but it must remain just that: a civil and respectful debate. I was J-O-K-I-N-G. Novel concept for some, apparently, but clearly was trying to lighten the discussion with some brevity. I did write, which you failed to quote (hmmm, wonder why??) that I was not AWOL, nor a deserted from Dr. Love's Army Of Women. I thought that would speak for itself. Clearly, you failed to read my full post, or I am certain you would not have attacked me so viciously and unkindly. Shame on you, but no matter, just settle down and play nice in the sandbox and we will all get along. We are all in this together, aren't we?

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
rl2

Re: I'm back (sorry to those of you that were glad to see me go)...but I'll be gone a

I have also found the political bent of some of the discussions here disheartening and motivated by self-interest, I think we need health care reform, our failure to cover everyone and do something about costs is appalling.
Why does it cost $100 to have an MRI in Japan but thousands here? And aren't they healthier than us?
The problems in the US are systemic, a corporate culture driven by greed and the need for profit.
There is a great blog called healthbeatblog which gets into all of this in detail.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Midwest Alice

rl2,

I agree that health care refom is needed. I would guess we would disagree on how the reform should take place. I think reform needs to happen in the free market. The government is to big and spending money we don't have. I do not want the government to get any more control over health care than they have.

Whats great is in our country our constitution gives us the right to disagree. It doesn't make one of us good and the other one bad. AND that is true ONLY as long as we have our constitution .

Your question about cost of MRI in US vs Japan has to do with the different forms of government. Their health being better than ours has to do with the US diet vs Japan diet.

http://641.members0703.wimp.com/thegovernment/

Here is a link to a video about governments. Its very interesting. I pick our form of government over Japans.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #25
rl2

Well, you can have a purportedly democratic government making the decisions about health care (if we can get the right people elected and gain control over it from the special interests) or you can have private, for profit corporations making the decisions about who to cover and what to pay for, which is what we have, which is an abomination both in terms of cost (the extra administrative costs, we would drive down costs and be able to provide more care and more treatments if we had a single payer system and we weren't sinking so much of our money into supporting the insurance companies), now the insurance companies make the decisions about what they will cover, and who they will cover.
We see how well allowing for profit, large corporations running things have done for us - the financial companies have driven us into the ground (which is why we don't have money) - that mess was caused by a lack of government regulation, not too much of it - and you think that is a good model for health care?
In these discussions, some people tend to forget that the government is us, or it should be, if we bother to elect the right people pursuing policies for our common good.
The government is responsible for providing for the common good - without it, we wouldn't have public schools (we could have a more ignorant population than we have now) - should only people with children pay to educate their children? What about roads, public transportation, and our military defense? (another big ticket item no one on the antigovernment side ever seems to complain about).
The government is involved in our food policies, supporting certain agricultural decisions and industries, what we grow, what we eat (meat and dairy in amounts that historically human beings have never eaten), if those policies were less tilted toward the corporate interests, perhaps we too would eat a healthier diet and be less sick as a country.
I think we need more government control - including us having more control over our government, and electing real representatives, not the millionaires who are currently inhabiting Congress.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #26
StephN

Wink Re: I'm back (sorry to those of you that were glad to see me go)...but I'll be gone a

If anyone thinks the government can do such a better job running our healthcare system, just learn a little about the Medicare fraud that is allowed to go on and on and on in this country. These BILLIONS in ANNUAL losses is from a system run by massive computers which spit out the payments within 2 weeks after the claim is filed. Humans do NOT check these claims. It would take an army to even spot check them - and this is what we get:

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/...icopters_.html

I would trade some savings in the Medifraud mess for a few thousand breast screenings or biopsies.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 11-22-2009 at 04:53 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
Joan M

Rhonda,

Please don't leave the board. I'll miss you, and the other board members will also miss you. You've been very supportive to all of us.

Best,

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
rl2

Regarding the comments on Medicare fraud - so, no Medicare? Is that the solution? You want to give up your Medicare when you turn 65? How about maybe some appropriate oversight? And who is perpetrating the fraud? The government? No, individuals, doctors, and health care providers. I doubt the government is trying to perpetrate Medicare fraud, its the doctors and patients and health care companies who are scamming the system for greed and profits - the notion that health care should be profit driven is at the heart of the problem.

Maybe if the system wasn't rigged with a profit motive, but completely controlled to provide appropriate care without profit, there would be no fraud.

Also, the comments in this thread about Dr. Love are completely inappropriate. She has devoted a lot of her time and effort to fight breast cancer. I am horrified and appalled to be part of a breast cancer support group that would allow the kind of comments to be made about her to be accepted.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
StephN

I mentioned the Medifraud as another example of our BROKEN system, which is run amok. Because it IS full of loopholes; the scammers KNOW they can take advantage of it. Put these people in with the banks, home loans and the rest who have been allowed without restraint to perpetuate their frauds.

These people sucking dry our safety net are lower than low. I do have Medicare NOW, so am acutely aware of the endangerment of our entitlement systems. I get to pay more for my Medicare, without an increase in monthly amount for 2010.

How do we wipe the slate clean? This is bigger than all of us.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #30
rl2

You are lucky to be covered by the government. I am younger (not much, 50's), our small business, which has 4 employees and 1 dependent pays close to 60,000 a year for Blue Cross health insurance for us. It is our major expense every year for all of us, and we do it because as far as we are concerned, one of the reasons we are in business is to pay for our health care expenses.

It is absurd. You try covering 60K a year for 4 employees plus 1 dependent. We need government reform. Try being a small business that covers these expenses. We need a government option.

Our money is going to administrative costs, for Anthem, their profits, etc., it is obscene.

I am very aware of this because we pay them, directly.