HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
Carol Carlson

I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person. However, I am totally confused and baffled by Rhonda's post.
Robin seems to have some good solid questions.
"Out in left field"
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Barbara2

I looked for a date, too, but didn't see one. I'm sure that advice still stands strong for reduction of breast cancer return. It was a good interview. Thanks!

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
RobinP

Dear Chrisy,

I'm not a Duke University medical researcher or professor. Nor am I a Glasco-Smith-Kline researcher, who was the lead investigativor of Lapatinib research and her2 pathways. However, Dr. Neil Spector is/was both and I have spoken to him about the her2 pathways and dimerazation of the ECD. I contacted him in 2005 after I listened to him lecture on the SABC website about her2 pathways and I asked him about the efficacy of late Herceptin verses Laptinib and he kindly gave his opinion and rationale for late Herceptin. While we spoke,he said that I had a better knowledge base than most oncologists that he had spoken to concerning the her2 pathway. If that is true, maybe my opinion has value. Again, I tend think that the ECD would be decreased by olive oil and would compete with the toxic Herceptin agent(DM1), making the toxic Herceptin agent less effective if THERE ARE OPTIMAL QUANTITIES OF DMI AVAILABLE. IF THERE ARE OPTIMAL QUANTITIES OF THE TOXIC MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY, DMI, THEN THERE WOULD BE ENOUGH ANTIBODIES TO BIND AND HETERODIMERIZE WITH ALL OF THE AVAILABLE HER2 RECEPTORS, THEORECTICALLY MAKING DM1 TOTALLY EFFECTIVE IN OF AND OF ITSELF. IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING ENOUGH DMI,THEN IT APPEARS THAT OLIVE OIL CAN ASSIST WITH THE LACK OF DMI AND THUS BIND WITH THE REMAINING HER2 SITES, BUT IT WOULD NOT KILL OR BE CYTOXIC AT THESE SITES LIKE DMI, CYTOXIC HERCEPTIN. IN THE CASE WHERE THERE ARE SUBOPTIMAL QUANTITIES OF HERCEPTIN-DMI, OLIVE OIL WOULD ASSIST IN BINDING THE REMAINING HER2 RECEPTOR SITES AND THUS ACT IN SYNERGY WITH HERCEPTIN-DMI. ALL THIS IS THEORETICAL, AS TSUND SUGGESTS, AND IT IS TRUE THAT ONLY A CLINICAL TRAIL, EITHER IN VITRO AND VIVO WOULD GIVE US MORE ANSWERS.

PS Please see Neil Spector's webcast on the her2 pathways at the SABC website from 2005 to understand more on the her2 pathway. Also, see the CURE magazine past issues and look for articles on her2, which are descriptive on heterdimerzation and her2.
BEST OF LUCK AND HOPING THE BEST FOR YOU AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO WRITE OR CALL SOME OF THE RESEARCHERS ON YOUR TRAIL OR THOSE EXPERT HER2 PATHWAY RESEARCHERS WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP.

HOPEFULLY HELPFUL, ROBIN
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
TSund

Robin,

Does it come down to which might do the "greater good" then?

I too am impressed with your knowledge and understanding. Please weigh in on the other issues floating around... (an aside: any take on the progesterone question?)

Terri
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote