HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
alicem

Karen -

I so agree with you about having to take one more drug.

For the last 15 years of my mother's life, she must have taken 20 pills a day. Now some of them were vitamins and over the counter drugs, but I just hated to see her at the breakfast table every morning - - counting them out. I was even audacious enough to ask her not to do it in front of my girls (they were pre-school age at the time, and I was worried they would think it was candy or something like that . . . sorry mom ). I swore then and there that I was going to do everything in my power to NOT be in her shoes.

I have hated every pill I have had to take these past 10 months, but I realize they have been necessary as well as beneficial. I hate that I will be taking Arimidex for 5 years but . . . if it reduces my risk of ANY recurrence by even 1%, I will take that pill. I have been taking it for about a month and the only side effect I notice is some mild bone pain. I do find that if I get out for a walk or a bike ride that I don't notice the pain at all.

Now as to why I decided to take the pill, I have written about this before in another post . . . http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...729#post201729. You can go there to read about the details of my friend, but basically, she decided to stop taking Tamoxifen because she didn't like the side effects and she didn't like taking a pill. Her cancer was caught early so she figured she would be fine. Her cancer came back into her bones and her liver and she died one month ago. Before she died, she told me that she wished she had put up with the side effects. She told me that she will never know if it would have made a difference. She was not bitter, just sad. She left behind a wonderful husband and 2 young children.

I don't know if the Arimidex is making a difference for me or not. But, I don't want to second guess myself 5 years from now. That is my choice. I fully understand your choice just like I understand women who choose not to do chemo, or who choose not to have reconstruction. I have done what I feel is best for me and you need to do that for you as well. I just wanted to tell you Liz's story so that you have enough information when it comes to making your choice.

I can't tell you how often I wish that science was about 10 years further down the road so some of these decisions would be clearer. But I am where I am and grateful for it because it could be so much worse. I am grateful that this is not the breast cancer of my mother's era.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Chelee

Hi Karen, I am Her2, 3+, Er & Pr weakly positive. (Er 15% & Pr 10% if I remember right?) My onc wanted me on an AI but I was peri-meno. FSH & estradiol checked every 3 months so I decided at that time to have an ooph so I could start on an AI.

My FSH & estradiol levels never went into menopausal range until just recently. (It took almost 2 yrs since my ooph to now be menopausal.) So in all that time I have not been on anything. Now that my labs say I'm in meno range I can start Femara if I want too. I have a bad case of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) so I am always very concerned about my back/bones. After much research I'm very worried about the damage Femara will do to my back & hips so I asked my oncologist what she recommends? (After all it's been 2 yrs & 4 months without & AI...and I am trying to weigh the risks & benefits for my personal situation.)

She said her job is to tell me what the standard of care is & make sure I know all my options...but she left it up to me. I pressed her some more and said I'd really want your opinion on this, taking into consideration my scoliosis and dexa scan which isn't good.

She said, "Well you know your not the usual case...but if you had been on Femara the last two yrs I would of said to you today....see the Femara is working!" Since I am weakly positive & with my other ortho problems I was hoping for a more direct answer from her. So I am still trying to decide if I should take it? If God forbid "it" came back I would always wonder if Femara would of kept it away...but I'm scared to death about anymore damage to my back.

The fact that they don't know if it will really help me or not... bothers me. (I hate all these decisions.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #23
alicem

Chelee,

I am so sorry to hear about your scoliosis. My mother had that. I never realized how bad until she was in the hospital right before she passed away and I was rubbing her back. Her back bone was like a big "S".

I keep hearing that cancer treatment is heading in the direction of personalized care. It can't get there fast enough in my opinion. It seems like the more that is discovered about this disease, the more complicated it becomes.

My first bone density test showed that I had mild osteopenia in the neck of my femur so my oncologist advised me to do some strength training. How does your scoiliosis affect your ability to do some weight lifting?
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #24
Karen Wheel

answering question

I am pre-men.... 44 - and didn't have my period for the 9 weeks of chemo but it came right back after I got finished chemo 6 weeks ago.

So, they are wanting to put me into instant menapause and I'm not really wanting to do it ... think women need the hormones in our body - and I am trying to think that the hormones decreasing naturally over time is a much more normal way of adjusting for the body than instantly shutting down the system with drugs...

? thoughts?

Karen
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
Unregistered

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1211161737.htm
Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
AlaskaAngel

Who gets most of the benefit?

Even if only in terms of the health care debate and in terms of the side effects suffered with them...

Given that 80,000 or more are taking these medications for years at a time, and they are not actually cheap, it would be so helpful to know whether or not most of the benefit happens to occur for those who are stage II or stage III, rather than just knowing the total benefit. I'm not trying to say that stage I's shouldn't have the choice, but I am saying that it might help each stage to make decisions with more knowledge.

Does anyone know? It would be so helpful to get some solid data about that. This is a very reasonable question, especially since most patients today are diagnosed with early stage bc.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #27
Rich66

I posted this before
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38998

but I want to mention that it suggests her2 therapy can upregulate ER pathways. So...your biospy might read one thing now but actual ER activity might catually be increased as you get Herceptin. There's also the issue of the real accuracy of a biospy that is inherently limited to some degree.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #28
Hopeful

Rich, the other side of that coin, which I have posted on more than once, is that Tamoxifen can upregulate Her2:http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...eferrerid=1173

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #29
Karen Wheel

Hormone therapy - & AI

Gosh, I feel really stupid - but I don't understand a lot of what I read sometimes with all the terms for cancer - guess that's what happens when you get diagonosed with cancer in another country (and language!) ugh!

Keep seeing this AI - and need to do more research I can see but I feel like hours a day get sucked away by reading on the internet --- and to talk to my doctor here about it is difficult as she does speak some english, but I find I speak to her in Italian and she understand much better ---- and my Italian isn't that great!

But am I the only one who feels dumb, or overwhelmed with all this information and medical language???

Is there a HER-2 for dummies - link out there for us? :-)

Thanks - I feel better already just admitting it! Thank god for this support group - as this has already proved to be a life line for me!
Karen
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #30
AlaskaAngel

No, Karen. We are lucky enough to have some people here who have particular abilities to analyze scientific jargon and complicated studies and share what they see in those studies for consideration. There are things that they too find confusing at times, and it helps to have others look at what they are seeing.

We all have different pieces of the puzzle and work at the same table to try to put them together as best we can. It isn't easy because with more information coming out all the time, the puzzle picture we are trying to see and work on together is changing just a little bit as we go along.

It is hardest of all for the newly diagnosed. Just keep trying, and share what you learn. None of us are able to see the picture perfectly. Nor are the oncs. Not yet.

AlaskaAngel
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #31
swimangel72

I've been taking Arimidex for over a year now.........bone and joint pain SEs are tolerable. My tumor was 90% ER+ and 60% PR+ and Her2++++..........my feeling is that the Arimidex is helping to keep the extra estrogen in my body in check (I'm post-menopausal, but being 30 pounds overweight is the culprit in the extra estrogen.) Even though my onc said that the motor behind the tumor's growth was the Her2neu aberration - I cannot discount the ER+ status. I also read somewhere (sorry but I don't have a link) that Her2 status can change with recurrences.......so I'm following my onc's advice and staying on Arimidex as long as my quality of life doesn't suffer (swimming helps). One other added benefit I've noticed with Arimidex - it has reduced the size of my endometrial lining and uterine fibroid (had these problems before the BC)..........the overload of post-menopausal estrogen is NOT a good thing in my mind!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #32
swimangel72

I've been taking Arimidex for over a year now.........bone and joint pain SEs are tolerable. My tumor was 90% ER+ and 60% PR+ and Her2++++..........my feeling is that the Arimidex is helping to keep the extra estrogen in my body in check (I'm post-menopausal, but being 30 pounds overweight is the culprit in the extra estrogen.) Even though I am told that the motor behind it's growth was the Her2neu aberation - I cannot discount the ER+ status. I also read somewhere (sorry but I don't have a link) that Her2 status can change with recurrences.......so I'm following my onc's advice and staying on Arimidex as long as my quality of life doesn't suffer (swimming helps). One other added benefit I've noticed with Arimidex - it has reduced the size of my endometrial lining and uterine fibroid (had these problems before the BC)..........the overload of post-menopausal estrogen is NOT a good thing in my mind!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #33
Bold

I wanted to say that I would soooo completly take any hormone reginine that I was instructed to take. I really think that I have midagating cercumstances. Being 2% ER+ is normally thought of as negative. I have 2 different oncs and one wanted me to go on AL's one thinks diet and exercise and herceptin are the keys to my survival.
What would you do? I know that it is a personal , but out of curiousity what would you do? Thanks for giving 2 poops to answer someone elses problem. I truely appriciate it.
Bold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
TSund

Re: Her-2 and hormone therapy?

This is an interesting thread; I hope that it will continue. What studies have there been re: HER2+ cancer and hormonal treatment?

And, Herceptin is such a new drug, especially for early stage Her2+ breast cancer that I cannot imagine there is much meaningful long-term data yet. I'm sure it's a "It's a Brave New World" just looking at the stats of pre-Herceptin short term reoccurance rates vs post Herceptin.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
Becky

Also, I would like to add that while doing Herceptin therapy, I think its a good idea to do the (anti) hormone therapy as well (either Tamoxifen or an AI) and shut down both the Her2 receptor and the ER/PR receptor(s). This only helps as it shuts down the receptors you know you have that are positive. The dilemna comes later when Herceptin therapy is over and you are only shutting down ER and or PR. I would risk the hormonal side effects while on Herceptin therapy. However, I want to add that is only my opinion.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #36
Cannon

I am also in the camp of, if it is likely to help prevent recurrence, and I can live with the side effects, I'm doing it. I had terrible side effects with Arimidex, switched to Femara and very little issue (some achiness, I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin, that seem to help a lot).

Yes, it sucks to take a lot of pills, but some of us do not have enough of the right stuff, or too much of the wrong stuff, in our bodies, and medication can improve those issues.

Many of us have been diagnosed WAY too young, and I want to do everything I can to keep living without cancer, and then if I have to, to keep living with cancer.

Regarding the idea that "we need hormones," -- no, not if we have ER+ cancer. In fact, the rate of breast cancer has descreased significantly since drs have stopped giving estrogen replacement to women as a treatment for menopausal symptoms.

Everyone should, and will, make her own decision, but I am "in for a penny, in for a pound."

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #37
AlaskaAngel

Hi Rebecca,

The reason for putting people like us on drugs like aromatase inhibitors (like Arimidex, Femara, and Aromasin) or on SERMS (like tamoxifen) is to reduce the production of estrogen, or block it from having much effect.

But the problem is that for some people who take these drugs to reduce the effect of estrogen, eventually resistance to these drugs is believed to develop. It can happen to anyone who is taking these drugs.

The studies we are talking about are being done on patients who have had metastasis. The studies are being done to see if the use of estrogen for a period of time (after the aromatase inhibitors have failed and the patient has developed resistance to the AI's) affects the cancer by slowing it down, and acts to "resensitize" the patient so that the aromatase inhibitors might work again for them.

There is no way to tell whether anyone is developing resistance to use of an AI, other than recurrence/metastasis. It can happen to anyone. If we could tell when it is happening without having to see metastasis, then possibly we might be able to stop them from taking the AI for a period of time, and use a course of estrogen to "resensitize" that person, so that maybe the aromatase inhibitor might work again. It would be helpful if we knew when to stop giving the aromatase inhibitor in patients who have not yet developed metastasis/recurrence, but are developing resistance to the AI. That is what the research is trying to figure out. They are trying this idea out first with patients who have had metastasis, to see if using the estrogen intermittently and then an AI again works well or not.

These studies indicate that the use of estrogen may make very good sense for those people who develop resistance to aromatase inhibitors while taking the AIs.

AlaskaAngel

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 09-05-2009 at 09:50 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #38
dilly

Dr. Osbourne out of Baylor published a study awhile back that showed that endocrine resistent cancers tend to be ER pos PR neg or on that continuum. I didn't see that factoid on this thread, so I thought I would throw it in there. The study was in 2006 or 7, and I believe the dr.s first name was Ken. Being triple positive, my doctor pointed this study out to me when i was deciding what to take.
dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #39
Barbara2

How to Treat Hormone Receptor–Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2–Ampl

http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/...2009.23.8089v1

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #40
momo

Karen - I turned down Arimidex because of side effects and am doing Natural Progesterone instead, alongside the Herceptin. Hope I have made an OK decision. I feel I am doing something then. You may like to consider that instead! I get mine from www.progesteronetherapy.com This web site explains very well how Natural Progesterone works.

I am oestrogen receptive. A saliva test revealed I am oestrogen dominent.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote