HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
Barbara H.

Re: Roll Call Long Time Herceptin Users

Hi,
I have been on Herceptin since June, 2004. I currently receive it with the T-DM1 trial. It is an easy drug for me.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Just saw this & had to report in...

Orig dx in '95. See my signature for details, please. Then, in '98 the bc recurred throughout my liver. My onc gravely told me that what I had was "INCURABLE, INOPERABLE... AND YOU WILL BE ON LONG TERM CHEMOTHERAPY... FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE". He had known me and Paul for 3 yrs. He was clearly morose having to give us this news.

But as it turned out, I asked to be tested for HER2, as Paul and I had been keeping up on the latest since '95. I was in fact 80% positive, as they stated it back in the day. Herceptin was still in clinical trials (my recurrence was in Aug of '98). The FDA fast-tracked the drug making it available to metastatic bc patients September 28, 1998. IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.

And so Doc Slamon saved my life! And after 9 mnths of Taxotere hell, long term chemotherapy became monoclonal antibody therapy, which is not as horrid as one would imagine, though potent, toxic and potentially a lot of bad things. For me, it was a life saver.

Now, my onc has taken me off Vitamin H, believing those old cancer cells are no longer in my body and that I might be building up a tolerance to H (after 10 yrs). So we are giving my bod a break.

I HAVE BEEN OFF HERCEPTIN SINCE JULY '08! I REMAIN STABLE.

Ev 3 mnth full panel of bld tests, including of course TMs. Ev 6 mnths CT scans.

I PRAY ALL THE TIME THAT MY SISTERS AND BROS WILL REACH THE POINT OF REACHING NO NEED FOR OTHER CHEMO AT THE VERY LEAST.

I BELIEVE FERVENTLY THAT FOCUSING ON THE HIDEOUS STATISTICS IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH. IT REACHES A POINT, I THINK, WHERE WE CAN BE SELF-PROPHESIZING, BELIEVING IN THE PRECARIOUSNESS OF OUR SITUATION.

IF EVERYONE STOPPED BUYING INTO THE STATISTICS, I THINK THE STATS WOULD CHANGE.

CAUSE I BELIEVE IN THE ENERGY OF THOUGHTS. OUR BODIES HEAR EVERYTHING WE THINK, SAY OR WHISPER. WE CAN PROGRAM OUR MINDS TO GIVE SPECIFIC, HEALING ORDERS TO OUR BODY.

THE UNIVERSE SENSES THE ENERGY WE ARE EMITTING AND RESPONDS -- IN KIND. SO WE CAN GET THE UNIVERSE TO ASSIST US IN ATTAINING OUR DESIRED DESTINY.

THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE WITH ALL MY HEART.

I MEDITATE. I USE GUIDED IMAGERY, SEEING MYSELF FAR, FAR INTO THE FUTURE. SEPT 3, MY 65TH BDAY, I REACHED ONE OF THOSE GOALS. GETTING FROM AGE 50 (AT ORIG DX) TO MEDICARE! IT IS SURREAL. HERE I AM!

NEXT JANUARY, 2010 , I TRUST I WILL REACH ANOTHER LONG TERM GOAL. ATTENDING THE BAT MITZVAH OF MY OLDEST GRANDCHILD. I ADDED THAT DREAM WHEN SHE WAS 1 YR OLD. YES, HAVING OCCASIONAL THOUGHTS THAT I MIGHT NOT MAKE IT TILL HER 1ST BDAY, YET IMMEDIATELY REPLACING SUCH IDEAS AND VISIONS WITH STRONG, TENACIOUS, POSITIVE ONES.

I HAVE TAKEN MY LONGGGGG LIST OF SUPPLEMENTS (FROM MY ONCOLOGIST/NUTRITIONIST -- I HAVE 5 ONCS ON *MY TEAM*, BENEFITING FROM MULTIPLE PERSPECTIVES) SINCE OCT. OF '98, 1 MNTH INTO TAXOTERE. MY NUT ONC, WHOM I ADORE, BELIEVES THAT WHEN YOU ARE ON CHEMO, THAT'S WHEN YOU MOST NEED THE HELP OF SUPPLEMENTS, TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM, TO FIGHT OFF FREE RADICALS AND CANSER PROLIFERATION, TO MAKE YOUR HEART STRONGER, ENERGIZE YOU, ETC., ETC.

I STILL TAKE MY DOZENS OF SUPPLEMENTS DAILY, EVERY DAY, NO MATTER WHAT, AS IF THEY ARE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. I DRINK 10 GLASSES OF WATER DAY.

I PRAY FOR YOU ALL DAILY AS WELL. CAUSE I TRULY LOVE YOU ALL. I ADMIRE EVERY ONE OF YOU. I SEND YOU ENERGY FULL OF STRENGTH, COURAGE AND DETERMINATION... YOU ARE EACH UNIQUE AND YET ALL TOTALLY AWESOME. YOU, AND YOUR CAREGIVERS. I APPLAUD YOU. YOU ARE AMAZING!
ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
nitewind

Smile Re: Roll Call Long Time Herceptin Users

Andrea, your story amazes me and the fact that you are 65 amazes me even more. You are one beautiful lady.
God Bless
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #24
Sherryg683

I'm a lifer here...been on Herceptin since Dec, 05. My mugas are all great, so no problem with heart. I just seem to have sinus issues. Sometimes, I have no problems at all, then others I will feel bad for a day or two. Nothing terrible though...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Dry nose, clogged sinuses...

Hi! Herceptin gave me a really dry nose. I used vaseline ea night.

And -- AYR -- simply saline -- sprayed in nostrils seemed to give my sinuses relief.

The dry cough, esp at night, was relieved w/Priolosec, over the counter, bought by the bushel from Costco.

Try these and see... I'm just saying...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #26
fullofbeans

On Herceptine since late 2006 (NED since Jan 2007) so not far off 3 years of the drug..

Runny nose and temperature on day of IV all else okay.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote