HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #21
gin-tx

Wink Stage IV Survivor

Dear Jackie,

I was diagnosed Stage IV in June 2006 which I know isn't very long. I had BC 10 yrs ago, had lumpectomy followed by 36 radiation treatments. Then in February of this yr discovered a problem with other breast, my gyn sent me to a breast surgeon. He recommended a biopsy which he did the next week, he thought everything looked okay, told my family he thought everything was fine. I had a nagging feeling something was not right. On Mon he called and told me I had a 'little cancer'. I went thru sentinel node mapping and wider margins removed, first lymph gland was malignant but others were clean as were margins. Proceed to interview oncologists as I knew I would have chemo, was sent for bone scan, something showed up they could not identify. Sent for MRI, it was a tumor on my spine, pressing against lungs, changed everything to Stage IV metastatic cancer. I was devisdated and felt was there any hope for me. I went thru 18 radiation treatments on tumor on spine, am going thru chemo now (herceptin and aridia), am working 6 hrs per day and managing to function. I take one day at a time.

I don't think I'm a 'long survivor' but take one day at a time and am very thankful for each day. I saw breast surgeon today and he gave me a wonderful report when he said things looked rather bleak in May when I was diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Cancer, had bone scan and something was on spine, then had MRI, tumor diagnosed as metastatic. I have lots of wonderful friends praying for me and a friend told me Sat I have such a positive outlook. Of course I don't know what the future holds, but doc today said he thinks I'll be around a few more years. That makes me happy. But I may have to do more radiation, he will talk with oncologist and they'll reach a decision. If I do I do, know it will be hard on me as I'm not 30 years old. But I still work 6 hours a day for as long as they'll keep me, I need to be around people and enjoy what I'm doing. It's better than sitting here watching TV all day and getting depressed. I did that after 2nd surgery as I was unable to drive.

That is what this web site is for, to communicate with others who are going thru what you are going thru. I hope this helps and I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know how you progress.

ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote