HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
Val Pfeiffer

I just changed jobs. I was inspired after my breast cancer diagnosis to go back to work in the field of health care. At the time of diagnosis I was VP of Marketing and Business Development for a financial institution. Four months ago I took a position with the health plan that is part of the integrated health organization that I worked with eight years ago (although at that time I worked in admin for the clinic part of the business). Fortunately I was able to convince the health plan that I could be Director of Product Development at a health plan without any prior health insurance experience. I am learning a lot and I love it. BTW, this is the same health plan to which I submitted the request to go out of network for radiation treatments...I was a member of theirs through my previous employer...but that is a whole different story.

I have two children, Charlie, age 15 and Jane, age 11. In addition to my "day job," I teach Indoor Group Cycling (also known as "Spin") at my local YMCA at 5:00 a.m. three times a week. I also enjoy road biking (although last summer between finishing chemo and undergoing radiation I didn't get out on my bike at all) and graphic design--in my new job I don't do any design work or marketing anymore, so I like to do voluntary design work for non-profits--so I can keep up my skills.
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote