HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
chrisy

RB thanks for posting this info

I just wanted to say I read your posts with interest - I really appreciate your efforts to convey this complex information in ways we can easily "digest" (pun intended). For those of us who have neither the time nor intellectual focus to dive into this pool, it's great to have such an awesome researcher on the team!
Thanks!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
karenann

R.B. and Rhonda,

Thanks a million for all of the information. I think I am finally, "getting it" when it comes to food and supplements.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Barbara H.

Question Fish oil capsules (question)

I take one fish oil capsule each day. Should they be stored in the refrigerator?
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Bev

Hi Rb,

Always read your posts but I like to cause trouble.

When I look at historical precedence, I have to wonder. 100 years ago, I would not have made it through childbirth. I would not have made it to later become a BC statistic.

Grew up with Meditteranean Diet, alas on the wrong side of the Adriatic. I don't know any answers. I just want to help on your research path. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
R.B.

Thanks for the kind comments.

RE Progress.

I am not arguing with progress in medicine, access to good food and clean water, shelter, a warm space to live and sleep, better working conditions etc. although many in the world are not so lucky.

I applaud and am amazed by the advances in medicine, including greater understanding and knowledge. Staggering things have been achieved and there is huge future potential.

But are those reasons for not keeping the basics in view, as well as doing the more exotic financially rewarding research. - If these papers based on the research and work of others are well founded, and it looks increasingly as if they are, the Omega 3:6 fats imbalance is responsible for a chunk of western disease (or at least removal of the ability to delay them to the end of life). Is it justifiable to ignore the basics and start 12 year olds off in life with the early forms of vascular disease, depression, ADHD etc because we are ignoring prevention in favour of the development of commercial solutions.

Is it not time to find another funding model that ensures funding for research but not at a cost of ignoring the basics, because ignoring the basic creates increased commercial markets for medical drugs.

Ignoring the basics to effectively maintain ill health in order to create a market to provide funding for more research seems to me a dangerous path.

The researchers in this field I would guess must have coffee room discussions in this vein

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 06-28-2009 at 04:34 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
R.B.

Re storage - fridge or cool place and do not store for too long.

DO NOT CONFUSE PLEASE !

Please do note that the graphs above are looking at DHA which is a component of fish oil. ONE gram of fish oil will only contain maybe 100mg DHA (guess) (A teaspoon holds about 5grams, so contains about 500 mg. of DHA) In fish oil terms I would guess you are looking at 20 grams a day (4 teaspoons) but you would need to look at the label and contents, as all products are different.

Usually they include antioxidants vit E, etc to prevent oxidisation.

You also need to check the amounts of Vitamin A and D the fish oil contains as they vary tremendously with brands.

From my reading/experience it is cheaper to buy in bottled form. Some of them have almost no taste. The quality of refining has increased hugely, and with quality products the days of fishy repeats all day are long gone. The cost savings at higher dosages are potentially significant for those on tight budgets. I take mine from a teaspoon - no back taste - no repeating etc - less flavour than olive oil (tastes of lemons).

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 06-28-2009 at 04:39 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
madubois63

>>I take one fish oil capsule each day. Should they be stored in the refrigerator?
Barbara H.<<

Barbara - YES. Keep you fish capsules in the fridge. They cold keeps them from repeating on you and giving you that fishy taste later on.
Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
madubois63

I am first generation Greek American. We fished for our dinner, grew our own vegies and fruits, cooked only with pure olive oil, garlic and beans were a mainstay. I never ate fast food until I was about 15. Frozen and canned foods were somewhat of a treat for me (weird but true). R.B. - Do you think the busy years in between 15 and now are what nearly killed me??? I don't blame anyone for what I am going through (except my ex husband - lol). I believe in supplements and eating right. I started with a good foundation and have always cooked healthy meals...the desserts are my downfall though. My ex eats butter by the pound, smokes 2 packs of camels a day and drinks enough alcohol to kill a horse each day. He's very healthy. A friend from my old gym - best body you ever saw, young, eats like a professional body builder..died from ovarian cancer. She died fairly quickly. I just have to wonder how much is just luck or lack of it.

..·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote