HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
RobinP

Just wondering if anyone else has had prolonged pain from reconstruction....

The masectomy reconstruction side feels very heavy and unnatural. I am okay if I constantly wear a bra, but when I take it off for more than a few minutes, I have a lot of breast and shoulder pain just on the masectomy reconstruction side. I had the resonstruction about three years ago and this problem only seems worse over time. Without a bra, I am helpless, that is unless I am flat on my back. It's so frustrating. At this point, I wonder if I should just get rid of the implant, going flat or maybe just decrease down to a size B cup from a C.Or maybe no matter what I do, it will give me pain. Has anyone else had these problems? If so, did you have any sucessful resolutions? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
kristen

Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear your in this situation. I personally didn't have this, but have heard of others that have and they did have to go in and have it redone. I don't really know what caused it, if it was a bad implant or what, just that they did have to go back and redo it. What does your doc say? Wishing you the best.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Sheila

Robin

I can sympathize with you...only the only time I have comfort is without a bra....I am sure I have capsular contracture around the implant...I have a silicone implant which is made by Mentor, and that was supposed to reduce the risk of this happening....I too would like to get it fixed or removed but just dread going through more surgery. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years....wish I had left well enough alone. Not only did I have a recurrence during reconstruction, my flat chest was much more comfortable than the after effects of reconstruction.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
R.B.

If you look on the search facility above if you are not aware of it there have been a number of threads on masectomy and reconstruction which includes potential side effects etc.

A site called cancer lynx has an article on issues of pain after masectomy etc.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
RobinP

thanks....

Thank you so much for the input and replies. I know this problem isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to other things people are experiencing with bc here on this site. I dread any more surgery and will likely work with physical therapy at first, strengthing the chest muscles that are left. Thank also for the site RB, much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Merridith

Hi Robin:

Why don't you go to a different plastic surgeon than the one you went to for the orgininal surgery and describe your problem. Have him examine you. There must be some way that the surgeons sew the implant into your muscle wall. Maybe something has come loose so that there is not as much support as there should be which is why you are experiencing pain. (The reason I am suggesting a different surgeon is because they might be more willing to critic someone else's work than their own, and additionally a second pair of eyes sometimes sees things that the author doesn't)

If everything is fine and there is no infection or whatever, perhaps it is "false pain". That's what happens when injured nerve endings send of feelings of pain even when there is no reason for them to do so. In that case, maybe there is a way to deaden those miss-firing nerves.

Just an idea.............

Regards,
Merridith
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
chrislmelb

I also have discomfort around my silicone implant. I have had upper back/ shoulder problems for years so it is not new to me. There are many muscles that go in bands around our body so i think they have a lot to do with it. And now that we have our implants under the pectoral muscle it makes it worse. Maybe you need to try to 'loosen' everything up with stretches etc. Another discomfort i have feels like it is behind the impant in the bones or something, but that could also be to do with the implant rubbing at the back. It seems to be worst when i breath deeply. I do hope it is not mets.
Good luck in figuring it out. If anyone has any ideas i'd like to hear them too.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
Peggins

I've had mild pain and discomfort around my implant since it was installed in June '05. After battles with my PS ("you've had major trama, what do you expect?") I finally received a referral to a physical therapist who deals with lyhphedema. Turns out my discomfort was from swelling and muscle tightness from the pain. I've been doing the manual drainage bit and weekly appointments with her. In addition the practice has a pilates trainer so I have been given exercises to free up tightness and build up strength. It has only been three weeks, but I feel better and expect to feel much better. I too had begun exploring having the implant taken out. But have been glad to have found relief.

Maybe my experience will help you, I hope so, it is a fairly easy and non-invasive method.

BTW, that PS is history for me.

Peggy
Peggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
RobinP

Thanks Peggy and Christine for your input which only further encourages me to seek out PT further. Also, thanks Merridth for your input, helping me to see more possiblities.