HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Unregistered

need some encouragement

Hello all,
I am feeling a little low at the moment and need some encouragement. My story is I was diagnosed with a 7mm idc last April 05 with neg nodes and no vasculat invasion. I had a clean CT/PET scan before surgery began in June 05 and except for the small spot in my breast everything was clean. Given that it was er- I chose to do chemo and just finshed in Novemeber 05. Have been on 3 week regimine of herceptin since. In Dec 05 I started to have lower back pain lasted 4 weeks before I went to see a chiropractor who adjusted my back, my SI joint was very out of line, and it flet better. But my back keeps slipping out. Of course I have planted alot of tulips, got adjusted felt better and then moved furniture, got adjusted felt better....you get the picture. But it keeps coming back. Most days it feels great but there is always this dull sense in the muscles that it is there. I just set up an appointment for a bone scan and I am freaked out. Can it be anything else? could cancer have eaten its way through me that quickly since June 05 with chemo and herceptin in between. I was originally told that I had a very good prognosis with such a small tumor and not lymphovascular invasion or necrosis. I also had a very low mitotic count. Perhaps I am overthinking this .. I feel doomed that it is the only thing that it could be and I don't think I am ready to find out that I am stage 4. But then again I don't think anyone ever is. Can someone please help me reason through all of this. I am on overload.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Cathya

In my experience once you have been diagnosed with cancer EVERY symptom from then on becomes a possible recurrance. Yes, have a bone scan and check things out but until you know you should worry....try not to sweat the small stuff. I myself found a large lump on my stomach over Christmas and immediately called my onc's office.....this after having chemo, radiation, herceptin, arimidex for a 3 cm tumor and 2nd tumor to my supraclavicular node...only to find out it was a hernia!!! We all feel the same way. My mother, who had bowel cancer 12 years ago tells me she still pauses to worry that any little twing could be her cancer coming back. I have found that as time has gone by I worry less and have more hope. Whenever I get panicky I come on this site and read about all the brave fighters who are paving the way for a long, healthy future for the rest of us. I think it's a long road that stretches before you and time and education about your disease will help you learn how to cope....good news or bad. God bless,

Cathya
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
sarah

you haven't been off chemo that long and your body is probably still weak and so it may just be the tulips and the furniture but of course check it out. but don't rush into heavy lifting so quickly.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Unregistered

In my book worm wanders on the subject of fats and general health in an attempt to try and better understand how it all fits together (at my very amateur level) including BC I came a across a suggestion that some lower back pain / problems are to do with reduced / poor circulation in the lower back area resulting in slower/poorer repair maintenance etc.

Herceptin is reported as having cardiac implications, does this extend to impacting on circulation?

I can guess it must be hard not to worry, we have all done it at some time about something or other, I certainly have. Try some camomille tea and try and read and understand some of the technical posts in the site, that should turn your thoughts to spaggetti as you struggle to understand the almost incomprehensible for us lay persons, or bore you into some big Zzs, - and things often seem to look less daunting in the morning.

RB
Old 02-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
tousled1

I know it's easy to say don't worry but I also know how hard it is not to worry. I would see my oncologist and go from there. I'm sure your back is bothering you due to the tulips and furniture moving. You may have a problem with your back that is completely unrelated to the cancer.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
CLTann

Hi,

I had essentially the same dx as yours, except for er/pr Her2 all positive. But I had no radiation, nor chemo. I know precisely what you worry about, since I also had some achings here and there. When those aches appear, I also asked our friends here what would real bone mets feel like. They summarized that the pain from bone mets would not go away, even at night. If you have off and on discomfort, chances are that you are okay. Knowing the weakness at that area, you should take things easy. Don't plant tulip bulbs, let someone else do this type of chore. Don't move furnitures. Things are orderly without the unnecessary change. Any area that hurt from stress or strain would become worse and chronical by adding more stress and strain. Of course, a bone scan will put your mind at ease. You should ask for this scan. Then, you will start worrying about something else. It is always like that, in my own case. We all suffer, both physically and mentally, from this dreadful disease. Only in this cozy environment, we get comfort and consolation in our own world of HER2 support group forum.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Unregistered

"Oh my aching back"

The bit about back pain and circulatory disorders came from a book called "foods that fight pain" Neal Barnard MD.

Chapter 1 "Oh my aching back"

pg 14 in essence - the abdominal aorta is among the first to develop plaque - post mortems Finland showed the average person with a history of back pain was found to have two arteries in the lower back blocked - could it be that often back pain starts in the arteries the book asks.

Which many of these books would argue brings us back to diet, including fats particularly the omega three six balance.

Hope you are feeling a bit better

RB
Old 02-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Lisa

Fear will kill us before the cancer. Just ask Chicken Little!

I, too, had back pain and thought it was from planting tulips! Unfortunately, mine turned out to be liver mets. Before you start crying, remember that this was ME, probably not you. If it's liver, the pain will be in the back under your right shoulder blade area. But I'll bet it's not that all. Ask your onc to feel your liver area and check your blood. We actually found mine with an MRI.

Remember, no fear. Just fight.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Sherryg683

Lisa, just wondering how big your liver leison was when found. Wondering what size it needs to be before pain is felt with it..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Ginagce

Hello Sherry

I've had back pain off and on since starting herceptin. I've had bone scans and all is fine. Glad to hear you're getting the test just in case but don't worry too soon cause with all the treatment you've had and continue to have, this is probably not unusual.

Best to you,
Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
mamacze

Fear is the worst; it is almost worse than the cancer! Let yourself relax and feel peace every moment that you can...I know, easier said than done, but there is enough to worry about in life, if your scan results are bad than follow Lisa's advise..."no fear, just fight". Stay with us and let us know the results of your scan...
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote