HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
eric

Mastectomy Bill

This was emailed to be and it appears to be legit...
Mastectomy Bill in Congress
It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important...please take the time and do it really quick!
Breast Cancer Hospitalization Bill - Important legislation for all women.
Please send this to everyone in your address book. If there was ever a time when our voices and choices should be heard, this is one of those times. If you are receiving this it's because I think you will take the 30 seconds to go and vote on this issue and send it on to others you know who will do the same.
There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the "drive-through mastectomy" where women are forced to go home hours after surgery against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.
Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition drive to show your support. Last year over half the House signed on.
PLEASE!! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give more than your name and zip code number.
http://www.lifetimetv.com/health/bre...my_pledge.html
This takes about 2 seconds. PLEASE PASS THIS ON to your friends and family. THANKS
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
DeborahNC

I signed, thank you. My insurance plan was actually already adhering to the 48 hour guideline with mastectomies. Hopefully, all will begin to do so.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thank you, I signed. Sandy
Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
TriciaK

Thanks for calling attention to this. It does sound legit, and you only have to list your name and zip code. I had already signed and didn't think about posting it here, so I am glad that you did!
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
kk1

to see the history of the bill a variant has been introduced each year since 1998 but never gets out of committee see this link

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/mastectomy.asp

this is also a great site to check when ever you are worried if something is a hoax

kk1
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
sarah

I suggest you also write your state senators and congressmen/women and urge them to vote for it. If they see their voters want it, they'll be more likely to support it.

Luckily in California we have Senators Feinstein and Boxer and this isn't an issue because it's already a law as is the full payment for reconstruction and yearly mammograms and pap smears paid by insurance companies that want to operate in California.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote