HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
clisa

another trip to the hospital

Well back to the hospital for me on Wednesday night. Woke up at 1AM with the same severe pain that had taken me to the hospital last saturday. My old oncologist thinks it is tumour bleed or necrosis but both the ER doc and my GP say that doesn't make sense as my liver function tests look good and the pain is not constant - just comes in these attacks.

I don't know - but two morphine's at home did not touch it and once they gave it to me through IV was better - though slept on and off for like 24 hours - getting up just made me dizzy and throw up.

Anyways my new oncologist is scheduling a ctscan - I am sure it is something going on with my digestive system that is causing severe gas/ pressure that pushes on my liver and then my diaphragm.

But this means no chemo until they get it figured out - so even further delay on any treatment - it is really scary not getting treatment- next week will be 3 weeks and I just picture the tumours having a heyday in there.

At home - feeling generally lousy. Lisa
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Unregistered

I am wondering if it is your gall bladder? A friend of mine had hers out shortly after she finished chemo. It took a few trips to the hospital and lots of complaining for them to find out it was her gall bladder. Hope this helps, hugs, Sandy
Old 02-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Lolly

Lisa, I'm sorry you're having this trouble, it's no fun. Have they considered gall stones or a gall bladder attack? I know the pain from gall bladder trouble can be excruciating, so hope it's something like this that can hopefully be "fixed" pronto and get you on the road to wellness soon

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
mamacze

Dear Lisa,
It is so frightening to have to run into the hospital in the middle of the night. I too wonder if it is your gall bladder... that pain is worse than active labor during child birth! Keep after it.... my internist says he often sees patients coming in with gall bladder attacks when they start chemo....sort of a sad double whammy. I hope you are able to get this resolved before you start your chemo...good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Love Kim
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
clisa

spot on!

Well after doing some more reading on gallbladder/gallstones - this seems to be right on - the pain in the exact places they say, the bloating, the burping etc are the exact same.

Will talk to the doc on Monday - thanks again gang!

Lisa
Old 02-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
MCS

This is very timely for me, because I've been feeling pain also. I had a ct scan today. I didin't even think of gall bladder. Oh mand this is scary

thanks again

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
RhondaH

Good luck Lisa...

I TOO remember the pain of gall stones. I had my WORST attacks when I was 2 mo pregnant w/ my son (didn't KNOW I was pregnant AND the hospital did an ultrasound and said I had an ulcer and gave me some meds...STILL no mention of being pregnant). I didn't get them out until 6 mo after having my son, but yes they are painful. I will keep you in my prayers.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
sherri

Dear Lisa,

I hope they find out soon what is the reason of these pain. I don't think it's related to Cancer. Good luck to you.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
al from Canada

Dear Lisa,
Another thing to consider is GIRD or acid reflux disease. Put liver problems on top of this and I can see this happening, esp the pressure on the diaphram and the pain. Many people have gone to emerg thinking they were having a heart attack when it was really acid reflux.
The other thing, don't draw any conclusions from liver function tests. You can have a hugh tumor in your liver and still show "normal" in the tests. You can draw conclusions if you know you have a tumor and the enzymes go up but they are really a poor diagnostic tool, not unlike waiting for brain mets to become symptomatic.

Good luck,
Al
Old 02-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Esther

Lisa:

2 years ago when I was first being treated for liver mets, I suffered from the same type of pains you are describing. Same problem trying to diagnose what was causing them.

Eventually the pains went away and never returned, and I don't know if they ever truly decided what was causing them.

I hope yours go away as well....
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
Unregistered

Lisa, I've read that very often after some kind of trauma to the body-- surgery,actual trauma, or some other kind of " assault" on the body, that there is a gall bladder response, either inflammation or stones or whatever--
just maybe this is what's going on !!-- just a thought and a share of info
Carol
Old 02-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
clisa

At the bottom of it.

Well gang - am back from the hospital again - been there since having to go in again on sat. nite - turns out that one of tumours in my liver has wrapped itself around and is squeezing closed the bile duct that links the stomach and gallbladder. Needless to say every time my stomach tries to digest something - do it's job so to speak I will get this intense pain.

My oncologist is looking at embolization for this tumour to try to releive the pain but in the meantime I am on a time release pain patch and morphine. Which feel ever so yucky but at least no pain.

Lisa
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
al from Canada

So glad you have sorted this out. Too bad it took so long, so make sure you push them for a curative measure.

Good luck,
Al
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #14
mamacze

Lisa,
Oh, the pain must be consuming your mind; I am so relieved to hear they at least identified the problem; that is half the battle. Please stay with us and let us know when it is finally resolved! Hang in there!
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote