HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2004, 03:32 AM   #1
Steph N

Hi -
Caught your question below and will paste in an earlier post (rather lengthy as article is included) I made on this subject. As for eggs, there are now several stores in my shopping range that carry eggs without hormones or antibiotics. Right now we are eating from a carton of Trader Joe's Grade AA large brown eggs. "No antibiotics or hormones, contains 350mg Omega 3 fatty acids, 25% less saturated fat than regular eggs, vegetarian fed." We also buy Naturally Nested and other brands without the unwanted additives. That goes for chicken as well. (Washington State is a large producer of chicken and there are "good" ones.)Hope this helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi - Good question and there are THOUSANDS of web pages that come up if you simply search with the words: Bovine Growth Hormone Cancer.
This is part of one page that sums up some basic info and is pretty consistent with more recent articles I found:

"Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) is a genetically engineered growth hormone many dairy farmers inject into cows to increase milk production. There is evidence that rBGH promotes tumor growth in laboratory animals. Of even greater concern, rBGH significantly stimulates a cow's production of another hormone that's secreted in milk, insulin growth factor-1 (IGF-1); when we consume dairy products that contain IGF-1, we're overdosing ourselves with a hormone that prompts cells in our bodies to multiply -- including cancer cells.

In May of 1998, Susan Hankinson, Sc.D., published a sobering study in the medical journal Lancet about the relationship between IGF-I levels and breast cancer. Thousands of women enrolled in the Harvard Nurses' Health Study in 1989-90 gave blood samples to be stored. In 1998, Dr. HankinsonÃâ€*s team identified 397 of these women who had subsequently developed breast cancer. Tests from the 1989 blood samples showed that those women with high IGF-I levels in their blood had up to 5 times the risk of developing breast cancer than those with low IGF-I concentrations.

Subsequent studies have shown that people eating a vegan diet have lower blood levels of IGF-I. (see related article)

Moreover, the drug Tomoxifin, routinely given to breast cancer victims, works by blocking IGF-I production in the body -- the very thing that dairy and meat consumption increases.

By dramatically increasing the amount of IGF-I in milk, rBGH adds to the other known health problems with milk.

It is impossible to know whether the milk, ice cream, cheese, butter or other dairy products you may consume in the US comes from cows treated with rBGH. This is because Monsanto, the maker of rBGH, successfully lobbied the government to outlaw labeling which would draw attention to milk which is rBGH-free."

Now there are many kinds of dairy products readily available in my local stores that are prominantly labelled rBGH free and I only buy those. Since I have drastically cut my sugar intake, ice cream is only bought for birthday parties and I rarely eat it. I buy cheeses made in Europe or Canada which will not have the additave since it is outlawed there. Or goat cheese. I have been skeptical of this growth hormone for dairy cows (not given to male or "Angus beef" cattle) since the controversy erupted in 1985 when it was approved. If you eat fast food or ground beef, it will be mostly from processed DAIRY cows who have had years of these gBGH injection every 2 weeks. Not on my menu.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
Sandy H.

Another reason to believer cancer is a money business. Why would the US allow the farmers to use this hormone??? Doesn't make since to me. We get fed cancer causing ingredients then are given drugs to try and kill some of the cancer cells which can give us more cancer. I know we are responsive for what we put into our bodies but not everyone can afford these natural eggs which in my area are doubled in cost if they can even be found. Enough said. It was a good article and thanks for sharing it. Hugs, Sandy
Old 09-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
Christine

Thank you Steph!
I have always been skeptical of the hormones given to Cows to produce more milk, and try to buy organinic, but can't help wondering about every other dairy product out there. I agree there should be some consumer labels on all dairy products indicating hormone free.
I also enjoyed reading about brown eggs in your post. Good information.... Hugs & well wishes
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Kaye

stwph, thanks so much for sharing!