HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Lucy

Re: Lymphovascular invasion / survivors ?

I also had lymphovascular invasion and was stage 1. My oncologist was not concerned about it - none of my doctors were. I was told it meant there were cancers cells in the blood vessels in my breast. That freaked me out because blood can move throughout the body so quickly and I worried that that meant there could be cancer cells anywhere in my body. I was told that it wasn't a concern and that the fact that no lymph nodes were involved was a good thing. It's still something I think about but I have to trust my doctors and I don't dwell on it much now.

That said, radiation was something that was possible in my case but it wasn't a given. I opted for a double mastectomy without reconstruction and since it was stage 1, radiation was not needed. I was told that if I got a lumpectomy that radiation was STRONGLY recommended (they can't make you do anything but they can tell you what will happen if you follow their recommendations). So your doctor may not mean to be vague but just seems that way because they deal with this day in and day out and may not realize you don't have all the information they do.

Good luck!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
Lilneenz

Hi Lucy
Thank you for your message - I did actually go on to have radiotherapy to the chest wall over 15 sessions as was advised by the radiology oncologist to do so. I had a mastectomy. I'm a few weeks out now so just left with the herceptin but trying hard not to think about the Lvi. I've since had an ultrasound on my liver and pelvic area as I've been having pains but it was clear and I'm aching all over but it's been put down to lack of oestrogen.

It's great to hear from someone on the other side, Joe long have you been finished treatment are you on the UK?
Nina
Lilneenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
Lucy

Hi Nina,

I finished treatment (including Herceptin) two and a half years ago. I'm in the US.

I'm curious about your comment that the aching all over being due to lack of estrogen. Are you taking a hormone blocker? I thought you were hormone negative. I briefly took hormone blockers and it did make me ache all over but I've been fine since I've been off them. I was slightly ER positive at diagnosis though.

It's good that your scans were clear though. That's got to offer some relief.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote