HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
caya

Re: How many of us are taking some kind of medication for depression?

I had a terrible year in 2006 when I was diagnosed. My DH suffered a brain aneurysm in January 2006 (we were lucky, he had sentinel bleeds for a couple of weeks, and finally he was diagnosed before the "big burst" He had a coiling procedure, recuperated for 6 months before going back to work, and 9 years later, he is basically fine- we were lucky).
We have a shoe importing business, and I had to take over his work - traveling, seeing customers, attending trade shows, and still do my own work. When I look back on it, I don't know how I did it - the stress of doing it all, and worrying about him was beyond the pale.
I was diagnosed in Oct. 2006 - went in for a breast reduction and my plastic surgeon found my tumour - 3 months after a clean mammo and breast u/s. Needless to say, this was devastating for us, and our two girls, who were 16 and 19 at the time. By the time I finished chemo in May 2007, and started Herceptin in June 2007, then Tamoxifen in July 2007, my onc. sent me to a psychiatrist who specialized in BC women. He thought I would benefit from some kind of anti-depressant, so I went on Effexor XR 75 mg. It was a godsend - emotionally I felt better, and the added "side effect" was that it helped with hot flashes.
I stayed on that dosage for about 7 years, and just last year I went down to 37.5 mg. I am planning on weaning off it this spring. I take a B vitamin every day, and get a B12 shot about once every 6 weeks. (B12 deficiency runs in my family).
I could not have made this journey without it.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote