HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Elizabeth1227

Re: Blood clot from Herceptin?????

Dear Lettik,

Thank you for your post. I finished my herceptin October 24, 2011. I got the blood clot end of April 2011. They told me also at that time that cancer patients were prone to blood clots. The beginning of November of 2011 I had surgery to remove a lymph node in my iliac area (hip area) and it was more cancer spread from anal cancer (originally diagnosed 2 days after by breast cancer returned February 10, 2010). So I do not think the blood clot came from being on Herceptin like I originally thought. I believe it was from the cancer spread to my hip area. I am surprised your doctor has not switched you from the lovenox injections to cumadin (generic is warfarin). When I got my blood clot I was on the lovenox injections for less than 2 weeks and then I was switched to the pill form--warfarin (cumadin). I have been on the warfarin almost a year except when I had the surgery for the lymph node removal then I went back to the lovenox injections right before and right after the surgery. I did not like the injections but bit the bullet and gave them to myself. Bruising was bad. You may ask your doctor about switching to the pill form. They will want to check your level frequently to make sure you are on the right dosage. But after awhile you may only have to get it checked every 30 days. Also do you have any other areas of suspicion of any more cancer? I hope not. I am currently on Folfox chemo therapy. I will probably stay on the blood thinner until I finish treatment end of June or beginning of July.
Then wait a few months and hopefully get my port removed God willing. I kinda feel it is better to be on the blood thinner while I have a port.
God Bless you, Elizabeth1227
Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Lettik

Thumbs up Re: Blood clot from Herceptin?????

Elizabeth,
Glad to hear you are doing so well and my goodness, it would be a godsend to me to get my port out.

I do not have any suspicous cancer anywhere else. I had lung liesons, but I believe they are scar tissue from my asthma and are so small they quit doing the CT Chest. In March, I will have another CT abdomen for the liver liesons.

I hear that the Warfarin had to be closely regulated by blood tests and have a friend who couldn't wait to get off of it.

I have never heard of Folfox therapy. Are you er+or pr+ and Her2+? Sending my best healing energy to you and keep us posted.

Bless you,
Lettik
10/09 Received phone call to schedule my liver biopsy. Stage IV extensive liver mets (!) ER/PR- Her2+++s
11/09 11/Port surgery
11/09 Weekly Taxol & Herceptin.
2/10 Completed 9 rounds -neuropathy in feet.
2/10 CT scan showed NO CHANGE.
3/10 PET scan came up NED.
4/10-10/10 Continued on Herceptin, 3 week cycle.
11/10 Blood test reveals Liver enzymes are high. CT, suggests progression
12/10 Changed doctors. TDM1 Trial or Tykerb/ Xeloda?
1/11 Tissue expander-could not qualify for trial.
2/11 -5/11 Tykerb/Xeloda -neuropathy -not working.
8/11Pulmonary Embolism -Now on daily shots
5/11-10-11 Everolimus & Navelbine &Herceptin trial Removed- Pul Emb, liver progression &fatty
10/11 -current, 3 wk Herceptin plus Tykerb
12/11- Abcess and infection upper lip- stopped Tykerb
01/12 CT Shows no progression in liesions, back on Tykerb
Lettik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Elizabeth1227

Re: Blood clot from Herceptin?????

Dear Lettik,
I would rather take the warfarin than have injections. It is only in the beginning they need to check your levels and then usually after that only every 30 days. I hated the bruising and getting a shot everyday. Pill form for me is much easier except to get your level check so often in the beginning.
I am only hertu-nu positive. I am er/pr negative. My breast cancer never went to my lymph nodes. The anal cancer spread to a lymph node in my ilac area (hip area). I am taking the Folfox chemo for that. I have been diagnosed four times with cancer. Two primary cancers. Breast cancer December 2007 and returned February 2010 and two days later they found the anal cancer. Then had lymph node surgically removed November 2011. It was cancer from the anal cancer. I am very tired. 7 surgeries (two lumpectomies, mascectomy, re-construction, and two other surgeries for nasal polyps, hysteroscopy, and the lymph node removal), radiation twice, chemo for anal cancer now doing it for a second time for six months every two weeks for 49 hours straight. First chemo I was in the hospital for 96 hours of straight chemo two times during the 33 days f radiation.
I wish you the best.

God Bless you,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote