HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Jaimieh

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

I chose a bilaterial Mast. with immediate reconstruction (haha...what a joke). The TE pressure was very hard to live with and I finally got comfortable about a month before my exchange. After my exchange it was immediate relief and while I healed at 7 weeks the seroma's started until and holes were formed until I had to exchange my implants to a smaller size. Then 3 weeks after with implants that were 1/3 smaller I developed more seromas. After having the holes stitched 3 times I had them removed. There was something wrong though and while it was painful I would have done it again.

Now after reviewing my options with my PS who I just think is wonderful I am having either lower lumbar gap or Sgap in 12 days in NOLA.

I want to ditch the prostetics. I have found finding clothes almost impossible and then I am worried the entire time about my prostetic showing. I am getting more comfortable with my concave chest but I really liked having breast better than without. So when I come back from NOLA I will come back and update
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
nancyo

I had a bilateral mastectomy 7 yrs ago. I chose not to have reconstruction and I don't wear prosthetics. I gained a lot of weight during chemo and have a terrible time losing any at all - - so my body looks terrible. the people who love me still do, but I do wish there were clothes I could wear that didn't have big gaps in the front where boobs are supposed to be. I can't go to a wedding this weekend due to '"black tie" and I cannot find a cocktail dress in a size 22 (for the waist down) with no huge gaping front. Is there anywhere anyone knows of for clothing with a flatter front that aren't for men?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Westcoastgirl

Nancyo, I too had a double mastectomy. I eventually did opt for reconstruction but waited a goodly amount of time before making that decision. I have no regrets, however. I was not comfortable with prosthetics and mostly went flat chested in the years before reconstruction. I did however have one bra and my two prosthetics for just the occasions you describe. When I wanted to dress up out came the bra and prosthetics. It is easy enough to get them and it might be something you want in your drawer to bring out when the occasion necessitates it. Otherwise the dresses looked just as you say. It was part of the dress up, nice clothes, a bra with prosthetics, along with makeup for those few times I wanted to truly look nice and pass for 'normal'. Good luck. Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Unregistered

clothing issues

thanks, Carolyn for your kind words. - for my neice's wedding June, 2011, I did opt to get the prosthetics out and one was leaking. I was quite unhappy because I had paid a good amount for them and 3-4 bras and hadn't worn them much and cared for them well.(I know it's covered under insurance, but there is still the co-pay and deductible to consider) At that time, I could wear a spring skirt and a knit top and not look too bad ( I personally don't care how I look in general ) but for this "black tie" wedding, I don't have anything - I'm not the cocktail dress type - and in order to get something that fits the bottom the top is tremendously too big and I'd never wear it again. I'm glad I'm alive and glad that up until now, this hasn't been an issue - and I won't let it become one now. - Nancy O

Tags
implants, mastectomies, prosthetic breasts