HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Chelee

Re: Cancer is back...I just knew it.

Sarah you ask how I'm doing? I am just feeling so overwhelmed and have so many things going thur my mind of what I need to do...and how I'm going to get it done. Plus all the questions my onc won't answer. I know I won't feel any better at all till I talk to a "couple" other onc. One is Dr. Mortimer that Joe referred me too...hopefully they will get that set-up this week! They are already past the 72 hrs they had to get it done. I called the case manager at my place & her excuse for why it's not set-up already is because I saw a different onc at City of Hope within the last 18 months so that onc has to release me to see Dr. Mortimer. Well that shold NOT take this long...I'm in a hurry. (What about laws...it said 72 hrs...period!)

All these delays and just more added stress. Then I am a bit nervous about starting Herceptin tomorrow "without" a port...but yet I want to get started now. They keep saying Herceptin one time without a port won't damage my veins like other chemo. (I hope that's true...my veins are shot as is.) I get my port Tues., the day after Herceptin. Seems they did this backwards.

I did go on Saturday & had my ECHO...couldn't get a read on the tech to see if my heart is in good shape? Last time I did Herceptin my EF was always high...70% & I believe 65% was the lowest it went...so I hope its still fine. If I had my game plan I'd feel better I think? Trying to figure out which onc's to get opinions from...& being realisitic about how far I can drive back and forth for chemo is just stressing me out. So many things to think about AND do. I want to get at least a "Consult" with Dr. Slamon if at all possible..that would really give me some peace of mind. I've had such a great response from so many of you on the board and via PM with good idea's and referrals to great oncologist's to see. I'm over whelmed...in a good way. But yet it's hard to pick which ones to go too. I still have to call my HMO directly because the case manager at the hospital told me flat out I could NOT have more then one 2nd opinion. I find that HARD to believe. They just don't want me doing that. I'm just at my wits end about now. This entire last wk has been a nightmare to me. My appetite has been gone & I'm dropped weight & having trouble sleeping since this all started.

Until I get a 2nd opinion I won't know anything and I think thats whats causing me the most anxiety. Navelbine & Herceptin was mentioned...along with Taxotere, Tykerb or Avastin to add to the Herceptin (alone) of course. Or a clinical trial. I first need to know if I really have chest wall recurrance...my PET/CT doesn't sound like it to me...it's my seroma that's been there forever! But right axilla does suggest neoplasms. I want to know what they can do about that since I can't have rads? This waiting for 2nd opinions is going to kill me first. I'm just rambling like always...not to stressed out. Sorry!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Cancer is back...I just knew it.

Chelee, I know you are understandably upset. But Herceptin is a targeted therapy not a chemotherapy. It won't damage your veins like chemo does.

You'll be okay with one treatment without a port, so don't worry about that one.

I hope that you get good news with your heart's LVEF. You deserve some good news and I'll be praying that you receive it.

We are here for you,

'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote