HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #21
sarah

Hello Sherry,
So sorry to hear this but many people, myself included, go through relationship problems.
I would urge you to take anti-depressants.
you could also try to speak to a couple counselor.
I found being on Femara, which blocks all estrogen, I became easily upset. I now take anti-depressants and agree immediately with my husband if we have different opinions about something. sort of don't sweat the small stuff. I'd argue about a major thing but most things really aren't that important.
also try meditation and yoga - yoga breathing is very calming.
Think more about living and less about your illness. don't watch the news or Fox Tv, only good movies and read books - the best escape.
Remember you loved each other once and he's scared and men are not nurturers by nature but now find that thrown at them. talk more to your girlfriends and have friends over for tea or a drink (not dinner too tiring for you).
Hope this passes soon.
maybe a trip somewhere?
hugs and love sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
loveher

Hi Sherry,

I'm not qualified to give any advice but i felt compelled to reply because my mom has gone through this for the past 10 years that she has been sick. Just wanted to say that I share your frustration. and from a daughters perspective, please take care of yourself! you have to stick around for many many more years.
Hi i'm Sue. I've been part of the her2support family since 08'. My amazing mother Hong was her 2 stage IV 9 years and bravely earned her wings, I still love this board and continue to her fight. Plz reach out if you want to connect:)
loveher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #23
Sherryg683

Thanks for all the wonderful advise and concern. I have been married 27 years to this man and this has been going on for 27 years. He's not physically abusive and most of the time is a good guy, although very moody. He's just loud and when gets angry tries to intimidate with his screaming. I am not one to be intimidated so we end up fighting, im just tired of it. We have been through counseling more than once and it helped once but we always seem to slip into old habits. I am just almost at the point where I don't want to talk about stuff that we've hashed and rehased many times. I just want someone who I can have fun with and I think he intentionally tries to sabatoge me enjoying myself...i really do believe this. I guess at anytime of your life there are going to be both good and bad things going on. It's better to focus on the good and sort of try to put the bad out of your mind. We did have a talk this morning after 4 days of not speaking to each other and things are better until the next time we have a blow up. I do not think that I am ready to go out and have to get a minimum wage job and try to pay insurance policies and raise my little girl and go to charity hospitals, so I guess I am going to have to work on making what I have peaceful. He is not a physical threat to me or my little girl, he just makes me so damn mad I could spit. Someone gave me the advise to just walk away in these times and that's probably what I should do. I'm just a fighter myself, which Is why I think im still alive, and its hard for me to walk away from anything. But thank you all...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Sherry, I am so pleased to hear that you feel a bit better today. I am sending love to you and prayers that you can find the peace you deserve.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #25
sarah

Dear sherry,
sounds like you need couple counseling, if he'll go along with that.
so sorry to hear about this but as I mentioned in another post, it's quite common to have problems in relationships. men are not natural nuturers and therefore resort to their hunter instincts of survival.
take an anti-depressant, if you aren't already and maybe he should go and visit some relatives for a while or you should have someone close to you come and stay for a while.
emotions are so raw with cancer and frightening, no one knows what exactly is the right thing to do or say and men are particularly unprepared for this.
talk to your friends, a counselor or whomever and try to get rid or your anger and frustration and try to learn that he is the way he is and so find acceptance or......? separation and divorce? a hard road to follow and emotionally draining and what about the children?
I think many of us have felt this during our treatment and wondered if we wouldn't be better alone or whatever but in the end you must remember that although he's not ill, he's going through a feeling of helplessness and men don't handle that well. they like to be in charge and dictate and now nothing works and their impotent - sex is another issue.
big hug and love, try to understand his species!
love sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
Ruth

Sherry ~

Glad to hear that you will have a little peaceful time. I have a hard time thinking that it is all your responsibility and you need to take medication, be more understanding, walk away from arguments and go to counseling. I personally believe that there are many men out there who are absolutely fantastic and you don't need to fix yourself to get along with. Whats wrong with you other than you don't like to get yelled at? Who does???
I don't think you need to change yourself to make peace. You are dealing with a cancer diagnosis for crying out loud. He needs to speak to someone who can help him understand how to be a better husband in these circumstances! He needs to step up to the plate be the understanding one, kind one and considerate one ~ marriage is a two way a street. What made me sad in the last message was that you felt that you couldn't have fun with him and that he sabatoges it. None of us live in the home with you but if you are unhappy please help yourself. Don't accept it because you feel you have no options. There are always options in life.
These are my personal opinions and I understand that not everyone may agree with me.
Sending lots of hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #27
R.B.

Re moody

I know this sounds trite but I have spent 4 year nerding on the subject written a book, and am just finishing a total rewrite.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

Excess Omega 6 and lack of Omega 3 increases aggression. There are several trials showing fish oil will reduce "aggression". It is also important to get adequate minerals (fish shell fish seaweed) and there is a trial in a prison population showing that helps too.

A tablespoon a day even two of a good quality fish oil, and cut the Omega 6s right down, but if on heart medication blood thinners please talk to a doctor first.

DHA helps increase serotonin, dopamine, and reduce noradrenaline.

Excess Omega 6 can upset hormone production and in general terms increased testosterone plus low serotonin = moody
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
juanita

just sending you lots of hugs!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #29
chrislmelb

Hi there, i may know where you are coming from and i did leave my marriage. We tried counselling etc but i decided as i was getting NOTHING positive out of the relationship it was no used continuing. He also was unemployed so i wasn't even living off his wage. Luckily in Australia i know that i will get the best of care in a public hospital which is government funded. I have no mets but i know that if i did, i would still get the same excellent treatment as someone privately insured. Some people choose to go public as they tend to be more in tune with things as they are teaching hospitals.
I can understand where you are coming from re health insurance, it must be very hard and i can see why you want to hang in there.
Good luck

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva

Last edited by chrislmelb; 07-27-2009 at 03:18 AM..
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote