HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
rcj11

From RCJ11,

The CTC test was taken 1 week after she began weekly Herceptin & Abraxane infusions. The test showed NO ctc's. She will be given another test 4 weeks after beginning treatment & I will report results.

Can anyone explain this CTC test result so quickly after beginning new treatment when PET scan 1 week earlier showed significant progression? Is the test unreliable or unable to pick-up certain kinds of circulating cells? Please reply with any experiences having similar results or possible explanations.

Thanks
rcj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Jackie07

Found this off the <Georgetownuniversity.org> website:

September 11, 2008

Test Can Help Patient Determine Treatment Changes Earlier

A simple blood test could tell women with advanced breast cancer whether or not their treatments are working earlier than current methods. With the goal of tailoring cancer treatment for each individual, Minetta Liu, MD, researcher at Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center and breast oncologist at Georgetown University Hospital, is studying this test with the hope that it will help doctors more reliably assess treatment efficacy for patients with metastatic breast cancer.

“It can take several weeks and sometimes months to determine if a particular cancer treatment is working because it can take that long to observe any significant radiographic changes in tumor size or appearance,” said Dr. Liu. “With this new blood test, we have a tool that might allow us to determine much sooner if a therapy is ineffective so that we can change therapy earlier and potentially make more significant improvements in survival.”

One of Dr. Liu’s patients, fifty-year-old Anne Crupi of Maryland, was diagnosed with stage-four breast cancer in October 2005. Anne received chemotherapy and radiation and then underwent various scans to determine if her treatments were working. In addition, as a part of Dr. Liu’s study, Anne has a tube of blood drawn every month to see if there are cancer cells circulating in her blood stream. “I just think that if I can learn earlier that my chemo isn’t working, if it stops working, then I can switch treatments without having to wait too long. I thought if it would help me or someone else, I would be happy to do it. ”

Using the FDA-approved CellSearch™ technology, Dr. Liu and colleagues at Georgetown University Hospital measured the number of circulating tumor cells (CTC) in blood collected from women with metastatic breast cancer. The number of CTCs was correlated with disease response or progression as determined by standard radiology studies.

Based on previous research, a CTC count of five was used as the threshold. Dr. Liu and her colleagues observed a big difference between patients with CTC levels of 5 and above compared to those below 5. Seventy-one percent of patients who had a CTC count greater than or equal to five had disease progression, compared to only 32 percent of patients with a CTC count of less than five.

“A CTC count of five or greater at the time of restaging was associated with a 5.2 fold increase in a patient’s chance of having disease progression compared to CTC counts of less than five,” explained Dr. Liu.

“So far the good news is that my number has always been zero or one,” said Anne Crupi. “And it’s so easy. All they do is take a small tube of blood.”

Additional data suggest that the CTC assay is a more reliable means of assessing treatment response than other traditional serum based tumor markers currently in use. Currently, Dr. Liu serves at the national principal investigator of a clinical study that will evaluate the CTC results within the framework of a randomized clinical trial – eliminating possible variability caused by treatments administered.

“We have many treatment options for advanced breast cancer. The key is to find the most effective therapy for each patient. It shouldn’t take months to figure that out,” Dr. Liu concluded.

Media Contact: Marianne Worley
202-444-4659
mw32@georgetown.edu
Patient Contact: 202-342-2400

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Val Pfeiffer

hi Kim--
It was great to see your post, and I'm glad you're well. As you know I was stage 3B, not stage 4, but I stayed on Herceptin alone for about 16-18 months after my initial treatments, and then chose to have quarterly Herceptin thereafter. I continued that until June, which was about another 2 years. I decided to quit that because I was afraid I might stop responding to Herceptin, and if I progress to Stage 4 I will need it again in the future. Different situation, but I wanted to share, and it was an excuse to say hello!

It stinks that I haven't had time to keep up with reading many posts on this site, but I can barely keep up at work and with school, so I don't have much time!

Take care!!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
rcj11

I promised to report test results.
Monday Kathi's PET scan showed her to be NED. This follows 2 CTC tests that reported no circulating tumor cells. This is, of course, great news. Herceptin seems to still be working for her. Also, confirms accuracy of CTC test that we can use in the future to watch re-activation of disease. The plan is for at least 2, maybe 4, additional cycles of Abraxane with Herceptin. Then maintenance on Herceptin. At first, I will insist on monthly CTC tests. Later, the CTC test will be less frequent, probably quarterly or whenever symptoms arise. We will not again abandom Herceptin unless it ceases to be effective & the cancer returns.

I hope this is helpfull

rcj11
rcj11 is offline   Reply With Quote