HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Lani

reconfirmation: if you have to get brain mets from breast cancer, best to be her2+

ABSTRACT: Clinical outcomes after a diagnosis of brain metastases in patients with estrogen- and/or human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive versus triple-negative breast cancer
[Annals of Oncology]
Background: Women with triple-negative (TN) breast cancer are at increased risk of distant metastases and have reduced survival versus other breast cancer patients. Relative survival of women with TN breast cancer who develop brain metastases is unknown.
Methods: Patients with breast cancer who developed brain metastases at our institution from 1993 to 2006 were reviewed. Four survival time intervals were compared in patients with TN disease and those with non-TN disease: initial diagnosis to distant metastases, distant metastases to brain metastases, brain metastases to death, and overall diagnosis to death.
Results: One hundred and eighteen patients were identified. Fifty-one (50%) of 103 were estrogen receptor positive, 26 (39%) of 67 were human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 positive, and 20 (22%) of 91 were TN. Survival times were shorter for TN patients, with overall survival of 26 months in TN patients versus 49 months for non-TN patients. In TN patients, time to development of distant metastases, brain metastases, and death after brain metastases was shorter than in non-TN patients.
Conclusion: Patients with TN disease were more likely to develop distant metastases earlier than non-TN patients, developed brain metastases sooner, and had shorter overall survival.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Rich66

Lani,
I know you are spread pretty thin. Would you consider talking with me?
Rich
richreilly at hotmail
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Lani

sorry I have been travelling (20 hours Tuesday, 14 hours today)

I spent over 1.5 hour producing a lengthy suggestion response, only to have my computer shut itself off and lose it). You do not mention your mother's age, concurrent medical problems or much information beyond what she was treated with--arimidex only. Considering the weird hours I might be able to respond, it is best if you list your concerns/questions and I will see if any of my reading of the literature could provide you with helpful suggestions as to what directions/info to pursue

In the meantime, I will just copy and paste something you might find interesting and suggest you go to the Clinical trials website, search liver mets+ Lani, metronomic chemotherapy+Lani in the search bar above

It is easiest to attempt to find treatments already approved (perhaps in new combinations) and trials rather than hoping new modalities (several of the articles you have cited) will come online in time to treat your mother's problem which is here-and-now and won't wait for the availability of some of these really hopeful treatments. If you chose the best treatment available for your mom's liver mets, perhaps they won't recur, or do so in five years or so when some of these potentially curative treatments might be more readily available. Sorry to be a downer, just a realist. But the good new is that a lot of these treatments are working and working well ie, radiofrequency ablation of liver mets when there are only a few.

Here are some ideas on metronomic chemo (giving tiny amounts, far below those usually associated with side-effects):

Metronomic Therapy
This exciting development was presented by Harold Burstein (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute) at 28th SABCS on "Emerging Therapies for Advanced, Metastatic Breast Cancer" (Burstein et al., 28th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS, 2005): Metronomic chemotherapy with and without bevacizumab for advanced breast cancer: a randomized phase II study). Metronomic therapy uses low doses of chemotherapy - often too low to have direct activity on the growth of the tumor cells themselves - given more continuously rather than intermittently (no prolonged drug-free break periods), often to cancer patients who can't tolerate or have already progressed on other therapies, including high-dose chemotherapy. Studies show that this "gentler" form of chemotherapy works not by direct antitumor action, but by directly effecting the vasculature of the tumor (the supportive blood vessel network penetrating into the tumors and supplying them with nutrients and oxygen) by blocking angiogenesis - the sprouting of new blood vessels that feed growing tumors. On the foundations of metronomic therapy, see Kaur & Budd (Curr Oncol Rep (2004): Metronomic Therapy for Breast Cancer); Kerbel & Kamen (Nat Rev (2004): The Anti-Angiogenic Basis Of Metronomic Chemotherapy) and Ferrara & Kerbel (Nature (2005): Angiogenesis as a therapeutic target); see also Emmenegger et al. (Cancer Res (2006): Low-Dose Metronomic Daily Cyclophosphamide and Weekly Tirapazamine: A Well-Tolerated Combination Regimen with Enhanced Efficacy That Exploits Tumor Hypoxia) and Bocci et al. (Ann Oncol (2005): Cyclophosphamide-methotrexate ‘metronomic’ chemotherapy for the palliative treatment of metastatic breast cancer. A comparative pharmacoeconomic evaluation).
The Burstein trial of metronomic therapy (MT) used a low-dose oral combination, CM (cyclophosphamide 50 milligrams daily + 2.5 milligrams methotrexate) with the addition of bevacizumab (Avastin), known to have anti-angiogenic activity. This MT + Avast regimen achieved significantly higher response rates than MT alone: MT alone only showed about a 10% response rate, while the MT + Avast regimen yielded about 3 times as high a response (29% response rate), with extraordinarily minimal increases in toxicity. And Colleoni et al. (Ann Oncol (2006): Metronomic low-dose oral cyclophosphamide and methotrexate plus or minus thalidomide in metastatic breast cancer: antitumor activity and biological effects) found that metronomic low-dose CM (cyclophosphamide (50 mg/daily) and methotrexate (2.5 mg twice daily on days 1 and 4)) induced a drop in VEGF, and was effective and minimally toxic; the addition of thalidomide did not improve results.

More recently, Laura Orlando and colleagues (Anticancer Drugs (2006): Prolonged clinical benefit with metronomic chemotherapy in patients with metastatic breast cancer) reported results and long-term follow-up for patients with metastatic breast carcinoma (MBC) who obtained prolonged clinical benefit with metronomic administration of CM (cyclophosphamide and methotrexate), finding that such metronomic chemotherapy can induce prolonged clinical benefit in MBC.

Feel free to put metronomic chemotherapy into pubmed, especially + ERBB2 breast cancer

Good luck!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Rich66

Boy...sad that your response was lost. I do understand the need to deal with available treatments. I thought the doxo zoledronic trial was a more unique situation in that the drugs are available and possibly more likely to be given off label..although..I've only heard of a couple instances of docs going outside the box. One local situation was very successful so it makes me a little concerned that most docs categorically rule out anything not standard protocol. Maybe it's their need to play it safe for their career. Maybe it's my desire to find the magician that can make this disappear that needs adjusting.
Mom is 71 She had mastectomy, rads and then arimidex beginning 12/04. Liver mets found by CAT scan, awaiting path reports.and has emphysema, basically same as when BC was diagnosed. It's maintained by inhalers, no oxygen. She had parathyroid surgery in '06 and did fine..no problems with gen anaesthesia. I posted elsewhere here the local trial possibly to be tabled depending on pathology. It's not the much discussed T+DM1 which sounds like may be coming to Chicago soon..I think the openly recruiting version (3 versions) requires prior chemo/herceptin.
I see StephN had extensive liver mets and knocked them down with taxol herceptin and navelbine.
I will continue to look at metronomic chemotherapy lit. as well as liver surgery/rad treatments like spheres or LITT. So far the onc has suggested she has "too many" tumors for that. Have bnot gotten a specific number or %.
Thanks so much for your continued contributions here. You can contact me directly at richreilly at hotmail daht com or six oh ate too won five tree for for nein
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote