HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Bev

Taxol seems to do that. I had whined about what look to be male pattern baldness. It took about 8 mos after taxol, then I had curls galore on top.

Now almost 2 years after finishing taxol, my roots are resembling my before hair, fine and straight. I still have my curls at the end though! It is going to be hard to cut them off. My hairline had inched back before BC though.

So I think eventually you will get hair that is close to your original. It just takes forever. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
janet/FL

I have had a similar experience to Bev. I did only have Taxotere and Herceptin so my story is different from most of yours. I lost my hair with male pattern baldness, and slowly I lost all hair, eyelashes and eye brows, too. I lost all slowly enough that some were coming in while others were still leaving!
My hair came in wiry and I looked like one of those funny looking standard poodles with tight curls all over! Same color, same amount of gray--or maybe a bit more, LOL. As it grew, quite slowly, I realized how thick it was and how much body! Just a couple of months ago, I thought that maybe chemo wasn't so bad since I finally got some good hair!
Well, a couple of months ago, I posted that all the sudden my hairbrush was full of hair. And my scalp felt really funny, too. Like when I was losing my hair. After a time, it stopped. And near as I can tell, I probably have about the same hair as I had--but it still has more body. I realize however, that the body is leaving as the hair grows. So right now, I am hoping what hair I now have, stays and it will not be worse anyway than before chemo. But it was fun having thick curly hair that was a "wash and go" type of hair.
At this time, I am now realizing how much of my memory I have lost. I guess I would take the memory over the thick hair. But losing ones memory does have one advantage. It saves a lot of money as I read a lot, and now I can just reread all the books on my shelf!
In my case, it seems that chemo activated all the hair follicles on my head. I never had thick hair even when a child so I know that it was not just follicles that were here before. I wouldn't have believed it could happen. I hope all of you that are having trouble getting your hair to grow in, can find something that will activate you sluggish hair follicles. And I hope I can keep what I now have. Reading your stories of having trouble getting hair to grow, puts my hair problem in perspective.
Hugs, for these bad hair--hairless--days
I hate wigs!
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote